This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
Guys I am having a hell of a time dialing in a good lead tone to work with my normal rhythm tone, which is the F-Ball with the XXL and the 67 condenser driven by a screamer with some pre and post EQ, any tips?

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Guys I am having a hell of a time dialing in a good lead tone to work with my normal rhythm tone, which is the F-Ball with the XXL and the 67 condenser driven by a screamer with some pre and post EQ, any tips?

I'm not sure what type of lead tone your going for, but try using a line6 drive instead of the screamer. It will give you a much smoother sound.

meambobbo

Reaction score
XLR outs work the same way as regular stereo outs, just that they are low impedance. That doesn't make much difference if used in rehearsal/live scenarios. I'd use XLR only if I'm recording in studio and they don't have S/PDIF inputs (That won't happen, they do have S/PDIF inputs).

About the different tones, I guess you want dual-amps or dual lines. That is possible in every stereo output, whether is regular, XLR or S/PDIF.

I wouldn't say this is wholly true. XLR is a balanced connection which means it isn't as susceptible to external interference. Generally this is more of a concern in a studio where there's lots and lots of gear in small spaces and possibly florescent lighting. But depending on the gig, it can be just as bad, if not worse.

Two big differences between the XLR and 1/4" analog outputs are that the XLR's never sum to mono whereas the 1/4" will if only one of them has a plug connected. And the XLR's aren't as loud as the 1/4" outs (I think). So take that into consideration.

surfthealien

Reaction score
what he said :) I use the line 6 drive on all my patches. I really think lead tone is more of the player and not the patches used. I use a loomis sig as my main guitar and I use the F ball as my main HD patch but I still sound like James no matter what. I know that tone is in the fingers is said way to much but it is true. I have found that double tracking any solo stuff I do does warm it up not duplicate but play the shit twice. Oh I would like to post a improv track I just did with meambobo's latest patches. This is a raw track no eq no comp no nothing just the patch with some drums and a bass sim I quad tracked the rhythm with the periphery patch on the left and tesseract? patch on the right. For the lead I used the just shred patch. This isnt a OMG BROOTZ track but I hope you enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/surfthealien/cheers

meambobbo

Reaction score
yes the most important thing to realize about the line 6 drive is the mids parameter is actually a frequency control, not amplitude. this lets you dial in exactly where the peak of the mids-boost is, and let's you dramatically alter the tone of the distortion you get from the amp. I find it's best to find a good spot for mids first, then tweak bass/treble until you're close then start tweaking each way. And when you move mids, you should compensate by balancing the other controls.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I broke down and ordered one today. It should be here by Wed evening. Now hopefully I'll be able to finally get close to that Criss Oliva inspired tone (HotMK through GB with heavier on the GB) I've been trying to get **crosses fingers**

JLP2005

Chief Knuckledragger
Reaction score
Well, I broke down and ordered one today. It should be here by Wed evening. Now hopefully I'll be able to finally get close to that Criss Oliva inspired tone (HotMK through GB with heavier on the GB) I've been trying to get **crosses fingers**

Put the time in, and you might get more than you asked for-- the POD HD 500 is wonderful.

flaik

Reaction score
I'd get one if it did the 4cm and the price difference between it and the 400 pretty much means its more sensible to do the 500. As far as I'm concerned, the 4cm should be a standard feature like the USB and headphone outputs.

you can do 4cm. I have my hd500 set up 4cm with a 5150 and it rips.

theres a few youtube videas of people doing it to.

jimwratt

Reaction score
you can do 4cm. I have my hd500 set up 4cm with a 5150 and it rips.

theres a few youtube videas of people doing it to.

I was referring to the 300. My understanding is that the 400 and the 500 do the 4cm but that the 300 does not. Is that false?

PodHdBean

Reaction score
if u want that criss oliva tone
you wont be disappointed in the soldano on the pod hd

Reaction score
I wouldn't say this is wholly true. XLR is a balanced connection which means it isn't as susceptible to external interference. Generally this is more of a concern in a studio where there's lots and lots of gear in small spaces and possibly florescent lighting. But depending on the gig, it can be just as bad, if not worse.

Two big differences between the XLR and 1/4" analog outputs are that the XLR's never sum to mono whereas the 1/4" will if only one of them has a plug connected. And the XLR's aren't as loud as the 1/4" outs (I think). So take that into consideration.

I was trying to be simple about it. I never had any problems with interference whatsoever using regular outputs. The only thing I forgot to mention that the output could be louder in the regular 1/4 outputs if the "line" setting is selected.