This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I need some advice on this one. It's the first time I'm going to play in a gig with the pod, So I don't know how to approach this.

I'm currently using the pod via the Power Amp section of my Fender Combo amp; of course the amp's preamp is not active. After a lot of tweaking, I've managed to get a good sound at high volume. Thing is that for the live gig I'm going to use my amp head but I will use a 4x12" cabinet which will be at the venue. I'm not having problems in finding a good sound for my amp and my cabinet at home, but I'm afraid it could sound horrible with the venue's cabinet, which would be something not easy to fix since I'm using between 25-30 presets.

Before I owned the POD HD500, I used a Korg AX3000G connected to the amp's in, so it was easy to fine-tune the sound when I used the head with other cabs. When I got the HD500, I started using it through the amp's input of my Fender Combo, and I was never able to get a good sound from it, no matter how hard I tried. Perhaps the output configuration of the HD500 (Set for Combo Amp input) was wrong because I used the default low-hight cut. When I tested my presets designed for the power amp in of my Fender Combo on my 110w Amp Head, it didn't sound horrible, but it needed some tweaking on the lows and highs, even if I changed the output of the HD500 to Stack Power amp in.

What is your experience in this matter? What would you guys suggest?

I also want to improve the configuration of the gate(s) on my presets, because they're not working very well when the Amp Head is at high volume (As it will be on the venue), therefore it's letting feedback unleash sometimes. If you have any suggestions, they're welcome.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I need some advice on this one. It's the first time I'm going to play in a gig with the pod, So I don't know how to approach this.

I'm currently using the pod via the Power Amp section of my Fender Combo amp; of course the amp's preamp is not active. After a lot of tweaking, I've managed to get a good sound at high volume. Thing is that for the live gig I'm going to use my amp head but I will use a 4x12" cabinet which will be at the venue. I'm not having problems in finding a good sound for my amp and my cabinet at home, but I'm afraid it could sound horrible with the venue's cabinet, which would be something not easy to fix since I'm using between 25-30 presets.

Before I owned the POD HD500, I used a Korg AX3000G connected to the amp's in, so it was easy to fine-tune the sound when I used the head with other cabs. When I got the HD500, I started using it through the amp's input of my Fender Combo, and I was never able to get a good sound from it, no matter how hard I tried. Perhaps the output configuration of the HD500 (Set for Combo Amp input) was wrong because I used the default low-hight cut. When I tested my presets designed for the power amp in of my Fender Combo on my 110w Amp Head, it didn't sound horrible, but it needed some tweaking on the lows and highs, even if I changed the output of the HD500 to Stack Power amp in.

What is your experience in this matter? What would you guys suggest?

I also want to improve the configuration of the gate(s) on my presets, because they're not working very well when the Amp Head is at high volume (As it will be on the venue), therefore it's letting feedback unleash sometimes. If you have any suggestions, they're welcome.

Why not just use your power amp as a monitor/sound source for on stage and run one out into the PA?

Also, I run three gates when I have the fx blocks free to do so. One at the start of the chain, one right before the amp model, and one at the end of the chain.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoy them! With a set of ATH-M50s you can't really go wrong imo for what you are paying.

I got a chance to use them last night and I'm really liking them so far. At first I couldn't decide where the acoustic space switch should be, but after listening to a few commercial recordings I figured out what was the most neutral sounding. I think all I need is a decent studio sub to go with them, but I spent more than my budget on the monitors as is, so that won't be for a while lol

Reaction score
Why not just use your power amp as a monitor/sound source for on stage and run one out into the PA?

Also, I run three gates when I have the fx blocks free to do so. One at the start of the chain, one right before the amp model, and one at the end of the chain.

Well, I had to design exclusive patches for direct/studio when I had to record on my computer since the ones that I had designed for the Combo Amp didn't sound well, even with the output correctly set to direct/studio. It was the same story when I tried the ones I had designed for direct recording on the amp, they just didn't sound right. That experience tells me I'd be going commando to that 1000p-capacity venue if I run the POD on the PA...just too much to risk. I rather risk it with a cabinet I've played with once and the sound change wouldn't be as big as going PA/Direct. I know there are many positive experiences going over the PA, but I'd just need to make a whole bank which would had to be tested on my rehearsal's PA to have an idea at least of what kind of signal would I'd be sending to the mixer.

I was thinking on increasing the cutoff levels on the Gates, but if that doesn't work, I'm gonna try it your way. Thanks for the advice!

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I had to design exclusive patches for direct/studio when I had to record on my computer since the ones that I had designed for the Combo Amp didn't sound well, even with the output correctly set to direct/studio. It was the same story when I tried the ones I had designed for direct recording on the amp, they just didn't sound right. That experience tells me I'd be going commando to that 1000p-capacity venue if I run the POD on the PA...just too much to risk. I rather risk it with a cabinet I've played with once and the sound change wouldn't be as big as going PA/Direct. I know there are many positive experiences going over the PA, but I'd just need to make a whole bank which would had to be tested on my rehearsal's PA to have an idea at least of what kind of signal would I'd be sending to the mixer.

I was thinking on increasing the cutoff levels on the Gates, but if that doesn't work, I'm gonna try it your way. Thanks for the advice!

i find it kills your tone less to just have more gates rather than increase your threshold levels. also, make sure your decay settings are at zero, or quite close to it. otherwise the feedback will keep the gates open.

Reaction score
i find it kills your tone less to just have more gates rather than increase your threshold levels. also, make sure your decay settings are at zero, or quite close to it. otherwise the feedback will keep the gates open.

Thanks! :) I always keep decay settings at zero, but in high volume, it seems that once it's activated, it's hard to go down. I'll try both ways, but specially your way now that you mention the tone-kill. Sounds pretty much like when I found that having bypassed pedals/effects in the chain kills tone, compared to a straight-to-amp-model chain...I don't know why L6 would want to emulate that from real gear...

When I have the time I'll give it a try and come back with the results.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks! :) I always keep decay settings at zero, but in high volume, it seems that once it's activated, it's hard to go down. I'll try both ways, but specially your way now that you mention the tone-kill. Sounds pretty much like when I found that having bypassed pedals/effects in the chain kills tone, compared to a straight-to-amp-model chain...I don't know why L6 would want to emulate that from real gear...

When I have the time I'll give it a try and come back with the results.

try out both the noise gate and hard gate. i use to just use two hard gates, but recently started liking two noise gates before the amp, threshhold at 50, and one hard gate after with the "stock" settings, but with the hold and decay at zero.

if you do that and have the two noise gates set up onto the same footswitch, then you just turn them off for leads.

tripguitar

Settler of Catan
Reaction score
rickycigs, finally got around to messing with peripherick. very nice patch!

also, hell ya i'll take some free music :yesway:

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Done deal! I'll post the download link either tonight or tomorrow. I do t officially release it until the 20th, but I thought I would share with the pod hd family lol

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
I'm playing around with using peripherick and meambobbo's patch panned 75/75 with Superior. It honestly sounds pretty awesome with both patches double tracked on each side even without a bass in the mix. I'll have to post it tomorrow if I get a chance.