RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Ok, good.
Single cab is the spirit. Let's say that you record like Ola, so you just mic a single speaker with SM 57, record two tracks and then pan them hard. That is my goal. Just having a tone that sounds pretty similar to double tracking. That is why I have chosen that Hiway cab. Anyway, I have gotten a few decent results with it, but I am still not complete because of the pickups, so I do not want to publish and then say "Omg shit pickups its going to sound great lol noobs..." And shit.

i do just record like Ola and do two tracks and pan them hard lol i just make two half assed impulses sound good as one :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I tried Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere and I was confused how to layer videos. In Magix, you work just like a music DAW, you open let say your 1st and 2nd video in the multi-track then you simply click it and in the effects section you resize it over the 1st video as you wish.

In mine, the beginning was video 1 and left and right were video 2 and 3. Simple enough for my noob video editing brain

im just seeing now that its $50. and i dont like trial versions because i always need them like the day after they expire.....

Edit: or is it video pro x5 that your using? i dont see a price on it lol

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
uh, yes, you do. and that will definitely cause issues. a new one from L6 is like 60 bucks. If you get a non-L6 one, make sure it's 9V DC 2.5 Amp like the unit says.

Where did you get your unit?

I got it from Musicians Friend. I wonder if maybe they sent me one someone returned with an incorrect PSU or something? I can't think of anything else. Pretty fucked up that I had the wrong one.... Hopefully this is the final solution to my problems.

Could that power supply have caused any internal or long term damage to the POD itself?

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I got it from Musicians Friend. I wonder if maybe they sent me one someone returned with an incorrect PSU or something? I can't think of anything else. Pretty fucked up that I had the wrong one.... Hopefully this is the final solution to my problems.

Could that power supply have caused any internal or long term damage to the POD itself?

possibly, but less likely since you were running less amperage than required, rather than more.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Makes sense, one can only hope. Well when I get a chance I'll grab a new PSU and keep my fingers crossed

Reaction score
I guess this has been asked a thousand times here.

According to meanbobbo's suggestion, one should start tweaking amps at 50% volume (Amp volume, not output to real amp/monitors). I've been currently using volume in amp models at 100% because I set my output through the power amp section of my amps (combo & head). I haven't felt any noticeable clipping using hi-gain amps, but I'm worried the hi-gain amp distortion "masks" clipping.

What should be a good model amp volume setting without clipping and having room for a good amount of output sent to the power amp of my amps? With model amps volume to 100% I set the physical output volume of the POD HD500 to roughly 65% for a combo Fender amp of 65w at my band's rehearsal. When testing an amp head of 100w with a 4x12" amp head, setting it to the middle (50%) gives me the volume I think I'll be using live.

My aim is to lower the volume of model amps so they don't clip (if they are clipping, which I haven't noticed) and have room to raise the volume in case I need more power on stage.

By the way, I'm using the pad input setting in the POD in normal mode, and the 1/4" output setting to line, as it should be when connecting it to the power amp input of an amp. Pickups on my guitar are DiMarzio D-Sonic Humbuckers. And, as I said before, I haven't noticed clipping in clean patchs nor in hi-gain ones.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score

According to meanbobbo's suggestion, one should start tweaking amps at 50% volume (Amp volume, not output to real amp/monitors). I've been currently using volume in amp models at 100% because I set my output through the power amp section of my amps (combo & head). I haven't felt any noticeable clipping using hi-gain amps, but I'm worried the hi-gain amp distortion "masks" clipping.

What should be a good model amp volume setting without clipping and having room for a good amount of output sent to the power amp of my amps? With model amps volume to 100% I set the physical output volume of the POD HD500 to roughly 65% for a combo Fender amp of 65w at my band's rehearsal. When testing an amp head of 100w with a 4x12" amp head, setting it to the middle (50%) gives me the volume I think I'll be using live.

My aim is to lower the volume of model amps so they don't clip (if they are clipping, which I haven't noticed) and have room to raise the volume in case I need more power on stage.

By the way, I'm using the pad input setting in the POD in normal mode, and the 1/4" output setting to line, as it should be when connecting it to the power amp input of an amp. Pickups on my guitar are DiMarzio D-Sonic Humbuckers. And, as I said before, I haven't noticed clipping in clean patchs nor in hi-gain ones.

ive found that when using a single amp tone, you shouldnt go passed 70% channel volume or it gets really farty sounding and clipping in the low end. with dual amps i run at max 50-60% on the main and always 10% less on the second.

when in doubt, just leave your channel volume at th elowest you can get away with. it has zero effect on your tone unless its turned up too high. just use the units master output volume to compensate.

as stated in bobbos guide, the best signal to noise ratio is with the master output at 100%. you can then just use your actual amps master volume to adjust from there.

heres a trick you could try, set you expression pedal to control your channel volume (i showed it in my video) and set the minumum value where youll be normally playing and the max value where you would turn it up to. then all you have to do is push down the pedal for the exact volume boost that you want/need.

meambobbo

Reaction score

Mainly I keep the model volume down to avoid clipping eq effects. The amp model block and many other effects blocks nor the mixer block seems prone to clipping. I usually boost the volume back up once past those pesky eq's. so if you don't hear clipping you shouldn't feel like you're doing anything wrong. As for high gain masking clipping just start backing off the gain until the tone is clean enough that you'd hear the digital sounding distortion

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
I'm thinking that the original one must have gotten swapped accidentally after packing up from a jam session, the wrong one I had looks damn near identical.... And I find it highly unlikely that I could have received a brand new unit with the wrong psu. Especially since my pod was working fine tor months before this started

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
Good to hear the great news! I had a power supply shit out on my POD XT, and it was hell trying to find one with the right milliamps or whatever it was.

Shredmon

Reaction score
hy guys! i bought a used POD xt, but it shipped without a power supply, so what kind of Adapter should i use for europe (im from Austria)
I tried a few 9v Adapters but they had only 1600ma and the pod needs at least 2000.....
greets
Simon

DropTheSun

Reaction score
Reaction score
Just to clear something about Amps in power adapters:

Of course the best is to use the power adapter supplied by Line 6, but in case anyone doesn't have it, the 3 things to keep in mind are voltage, polarity and Amps. While the 2 first have to be exactly the voltage and polarity that the specs describe, Amps can be more, and the more, the better. Don't worry, it won't burn your POD.

I know this example could be wrong for people who is more into electronics, but think of Amps as the water pipe service entering at home. If you have a small one, and open all water taps, you'll get little to no water. When you have a wide pipe thus more quantity of water entering, opening several water taps won't make much difference.

I had these problems with my previous effect board which is a Korg AX3000G. Damn thing came with a super cheezy power adapter. Despite the adapter suposedly had the voltage and Amps specs, my Korg would freeze or lose its sound. The Korg is so damn sensitive to little voltage changes, so I had to get a regulated power source. I also tried to the the most Amps as possible, so I got 2 Amps which is equal to 2000 miliamps. After that, it worked like a beauty.

I noticed modeling boards consume a lot of energy, so having an adapter with less Amps than required IS going to cause problems.

Another short example you can think of are pedal boards. Most users try to get a single power source for all of them, and that power source has to be able to deal with the amps consumption of all pedals.

Reaction score
hy guys! i bought a used POD xt, but it shipped without a power supply, so what kind of Adapter should i use for europe (im from Austria)
I tried a few 9v Adapters but they had only 1600ma and the pod needs at least 2000.....
greets
Simon

Read my message above. Try to get something which provides at least 2.5 Amps, and if you have the choice to get a regulated power source, even better.

Reaction score
ive found that when using a single amp tone, you shouldnt go passed 70% channel volume or it gets really farty sounding and clipping in the low end. with dual amps i run at max 50-60% on the main and always 10% less on the second.

when in doubt, just leave your channel volume at th elowest you can get away with. it has zero effect on your tone unless its turned up too high. just use the units master output volume to compensate.

as stated in bobbos guide, the best signal to noise ratio is with the master output at 100%. you can then just use your actual amps master volume to adjust from there.

heres a trick you could try, set you expression pedal to control your channel volume (i showed it in my video) and set the minumum value where youll be normally playing and the max value where you would turn it up to. then all you have to do is push down the pedal for the exact volume boost that you want/need.

I'm gonna test the amp head with a single amp model at 75% volume. Thing is the POD goes to the Power Amp In section of the amp head, so that the only master volume I have is the POD's.

I know the best would be to go 100% on the master volume but that'll be too much to risk on stage if I'm in the need for more power. Mind that I use 2-3 patches for each song, so I won't have the time to tweak all patches to the precise volume I need.

Reaction score
Mainly I keep the model volume down to avoid clipping eq effects. The amp model block and many other effects blocks nor the mixer block seems prone to clipping. I usually boost the volume back up once past those pesky eq's. so if you don't hear clipping you shouldn't feel like you're doing anything wrong. As for high gain masking clipping just start backing off the gain until the tone is clean enough that you'd hear the digital sounding distortion

Good suggestion. I don't have a sound engineering degree, but I have experience in recording, mixing and mastering as well as some sound courses. It's perfectly understandable that any effect after the amp model could clip if the amp model's volume is high. Luckily, I don't use any EQs after the amp model section. The only effect pedal I use after the amp section in some patches is the delay pedal, but I haven't felt they clip or get overloaded even when the amp model section has been to 100%. The reason I've put the delays there is because they would sound really crappy before the amp model section.

I'll set the volume to 75% and I'll give it a test with the amp head, going as loud as I can without killing my neighbours. Then I'll see if I have room for more volume in case I need it on stage. Sadly I don't have much time since we're performing next Sunday.

The good thing is that for studio/direct patches, I've kept the amp models to 50%. I've only raised the S/PDIF output to give a healthy signal and avoid clipping the interface's input.

meambobbo

Reaction score
In that case I would set the physical master knob to 100% and set the model volume to the max volume you'd use. I think this would give you a better snr than the other way around. Of course for ease of use use the master knob like your amps master volume and turn it down when you want lower volume - don't worry about the snr in that case

flv75

Reaction score
Yesterday I've tried to connect my pod hd 500 direct to the mixer and it was terrible ,every sound is unusable ,compressed and sterile . I 've connected the pod (studio/direct) with 2 xlr cables in 2 channels of the mixer with flat eq , I've tried some patch from the guys of the forum but every sound was horrible ... I see a lot of videos where some guys use the pod in direct with great result , am I missing something important in the connection ? can you help me ?