Nemonic

Reaction score
Which patches have you tried? It is very possible that those patches are made on a pair of nearfields or on headphones. What did you use for reproduction?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flv75

Reaction score
Which patches have you tried? It is very possible that those patches are made on a pair of nearfields or on headphones. What did you use for reproduction?

I've tried some MeAmBobbo 's patchs , I plug my pod hd500 direct in the mixer in atudio/direct mode . Do you have some live tones for a direct use ?

VikingGuitar

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been asked before. Sorry if it has.

So, I'm now running my HD500 into a Rocktron Velocity 300 and then into a 4x12 with Celestion v30's. When I set the POD to Stack Power Amp (tried Combo or whatever, too) it just sounds buzzy and shitty like it would if I was just plugging in to my computer via USB with no speaker emulation. When I play through my amp/cab with it set to studio/direct, it still sounds killer. Am I missing something here?

Acrid

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, Does anyone know if it's possible to change looper modes on the HD Bean with the MKII express footswitch? From the manual it appears you can only change the following with the bank switches A - Record/Overdub, B - Play/Stop, C - Full/Half Speed, D - Reverse/Forward.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been asked before. Sorry if it has.

So, I'm now running my HD500 into a Rocktron Velocity 300 and then into a 4x12 with Celestion v30's. When I set the POD to Stack Power Amp (tried Combo or whatever, too) it just sounds buzzy and shitty like it would if I was just plugging in to my computer via USB with no speaker emulation. When I play through my amp/cab with it set to studio/direct, it still sounds killer. Am I missing something here?

Once cab simulation is disabled it should sound the same both ways so I'm not sure what's going on there. That being said, you should use it however it sounds best. Even if it it's not "supposed" to be like that.

Also, I hope your not using the pre only models with that setup, Orr that's your problem right there.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Yesterday I've tried to connect my pod hd 500 direct to the mixer and it was terrible ,every sound is unusable ,compressed and sterile . I 've connected the pod (studio/direct) with 2 xlr cables in 2 channels of the mixer with flat eq , I've tried some patch from the guys of the forum but every sound was horrible ... I see a lot of videos where some guys use the pod in direct with great result , am I missing something important in the connection ? can you help me ?

As I said to the last person with this problem, the mic gain on the mixer could have been too high or phantom power might have been needlessly turned on. Chances are it was the sound guy and not your pod.

flv75

Reaction score
As I said to the last person with this problem, the mic gain on the mixer could have been too high or phantom power might have been needlessly turned on. Chances are it was the sound guy and not your pod.

many thanks for your answer , I will try to turn down the gain on the channel of the mixer (it was about at half ) : the sound was really weird ,really over compressed with too much bass and 0 dynamic ,a really shit !!
Hope to have a good sound the next time, any suggestions are welcome !

VikingGuitar

Reaction score
Once cab simulation is disabled it should sound the same both ways so I'm not sure what's going on there. That being said, you should use it however it sounds best. Even if it it's not "supposed" to be like that.

Also, I hope your not using the pre only models with that setup, Orr that's your problem right there.

Apparently I need to learn more about this damn thing! What do you mean by pre-only models?

Nemonic

Reaction score
Apparently I need to learn more about this damn thing! What do you mean by pre-only models?
After you reach the last model (Flip Top), you find pre models, which are supposed to be simulating only the preamp section, so there is no Master, Sag, Bias (X) or Hum knob. It is kinda like you used the FX Send of the whole amp.

Nemonic

Reaction score
i do just record like Ola and do two tracks and pan them hard lol i just make two half assed impulses sound good as one :shred:
I know that, it sounds badass in your case. But in case of using it live with one side delayed 30 ms, it would sound weird, because the dark side would come from one side of PA and the bright side from the other. It is just my problem, because I am going to play live and I am forever alone, so I am trying to find a way how to make an imaginary second guitarist.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I know that, it sounds badass in your case. But in case of using it live with one side delayed 30 ms, it would sound weird, because the dark side would come from one side of PA and the bright side from the other. It is just my problem, because I am going to play live and I am forever alone, so I am trying to find a way how to make an imaginary second guitarist.

If you have your pods mixer panned to center then your outputs should be the same tone for each of them. I could be wrong though.

Akkilju

Reaction score
Does Line 6 still update the HD series with new amps? Any news on a 5150/6505 model?
I want to buy a HD pro..... but I am unsure if Line 6 is still providing....?

Zulphur

Reaction score

I think the preamp models are exactly what he should be using with his rocktron poweramp.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Does Line 6 still update the HD series with new amps? Any news on a 5150/6505 model?
I want to buy a HD pro..... but I am unsure if Line 6 is still providing....?

No news of an update yet, but you can easily get a 5150 tone out of the bogner model. It's been posted here countless times.

Nemonic

Reaction score
If you have your pods mixer panned to center then your outputs should be the same tone for each of them. I could be wrong though.
I agree with this. But if you pan it this way and delay one side, you would get the same combination on each side, where there is for example the dark cab side delayed, so you won´t get that tone. The only way how to manage a dual cab setup with clearly one side delayed is through a external delay, which kinda messes up with the beauty of the POD.

meambobbo

Reaction score
I agree with this. But if you pan it this way and delay one side, you would get the same combination on each side, where there is for example the dark cab side delayed, so you won´t get that tone. The only way how to manage a dual cab setup with clearly one side delayed is through a external delay, which kinda messes up with the beauty of the POD.

Is there no way to do this with a ping pong or stereo delay put post-mixer and given 100% mix, 0% feedback? Then you have a mono tone, but with different delay signatures for left/right.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
many thanks for your answer , I will try to turn down the gain on the channel of the mixer (it was about at half ) : the sound was really weird ,really over compressed with too much bass and 0 dynamic ,a really shit !!
Hope to have a good sound the next time, any suggestions are welcome !

When I say mixer in this case I mean the foh mixer, not the one on your pod.

Reaction score
Ok, I'm gonna post some conclusions I got last night.

I spent 3 hours testing my live setlist with the 110w amp head and a 4x12" cab. As I said before, I had the Treadplate model volume at 100% so I had set this time all patches using this model at 75%. I was expecting of course the same sound and maybe some improvement in sound since I was worried that clipping could be masked by the amount of distortion.

Results were dissapointing. It don't have experience with real tube amps, but it seems that the amp models are influenced by the amount of volume used. That being said, it seems that if you use more volume in a tube amp, sound gets a bit more distorted and compressed. That's what I loss using 75% volume on the model, whereas using 100% distortion sounded nicer, hotter, and more compressed, specially when palm muting.

I'm gonna set back my live setlist to 100% again. I think that, as all my patches, since the mixer is after the amp, I'd just could lower the output gain using that instance instead of lowering the volume of the amp model, in this case the Treadplate (Recto).

I also improved my semi-clean patches. I previously was using a Screamer pedal with the First Fender amp, I think that's the blackface. I changed amp model to the SLO Clean (Soldano) and the pedal I'm using now is the Tube Drive. I like this setup way more. The Soldano Clean by default it's at around 50% volume, so I took it to 100% and lowered the volume from the mixer, but I didn't feel a noticeable difference like in the Mesa.

This processor is great, a bit tricky perhaps, but sadly I'm finding some of the sound improvements just days before first using it live. I hope I can keep experimenting and improving my sound afterwards.

P.S. I was thinking on experimenting because I was thinking, instead of pushing the Mesa to 100% volume, I could try the tube compressor after (or before, depending on how it sounds) to get a better compression of sound perhaps, instead of risking clipping the signal. 4x12" are too bassy when it comes to palm muting in hi-gain distortion, that's why when I set the amp near the live volume, it sounds better when it's a bit more compressed using 100% model volume.

Damn...so much to experiment yet so little time to do so...

meambobbo

Reaction score
Ok, I'm gonna post some conclusions I got last night.

I spent 3 hours testing my live setlist with the 110w amp head and a 4x12" cab. As I said before, I had the Treadplate model volume at 100% so I had set this time all patches using this model at 75%. I was expecting of course the same sound and maybe some improvement in sound since I was worried that clipping could be masked by the amount of distortion.

Results were dissapointing. It don't have experience with real tube amps, but it seems that the amp models are influenced by the amount of volume used. That being said, it seems that if you use more volume in a tube amp, sound gets a bit more distorted and compressed. That's what I loss using 75% volume on the model, whereas using 100% distortion sounded nicer, hotter, and more compressed, specially when palm muting.

I'm gonna set back my live setlist to 100% again. I think that, as all my patches, since the mixer is after the amp, I'd just could lower the output gain using that instance instead of lowering the volume of the amp model, in this case the Treadplate (Recto).

I also improved my semi-clean patches. I previously was using a Screamer pedal with the First Fender amp, I think that's the blackface. I changed amp model to the SLO Clean (Soldano) and the pedal I'm using now is the Tube Drive. I like this setup way more. The Soldano Clean by default it's at around 50% volume, so I took it to 100% and lowered the volume from the mixer, but I didn't feel a noticeable difference like in the Mesa.

This processor is great, a bit tricky perhaps, but sadly I'm finding some of the sound improvements just days before first using it live. I hope I can keep experimenting and improving my sound afterwards.

P.S. I was thinking on experimenting because I was thinking, instead of pushing the Mesa to 100% volume, I could try the tube compressor after (or before, depending on how it sounds) to get a better compression of sound perhaps, instead of risking clipping the signal. 4x12" are too bassy when it comes to palm muting in hi-gain distortion, that's why when I set the amp near the live volume, it sounds better when it's a bit more compressed using 100% model volume.

Damn...so much to experiment yet so little time to do so...

I just want to clarify...when you say model volume, you are talking about the volume that's represented by a physical knob on the Pod itself, as well as the virtual one that's in line with the amp's EQ controls, not the Master Vol. DEP next to Sag, Hum, Bias, and Bias X, correct? The physical volume knob (not the physical MASTER) is a tone-transparent control. Unless you are pushing the digital signal level into digital clipping, it should have no bearing on your tone. The Master Vol. DEP is what is designed to emulate pushing an amp's power section into compression and distortion.

Also, when you changed the amp Volume down to 75%, did you compensate volume at the mixer or with the physical MASTER knob? Since you're going to a real tube amp, this could certainly affect the tone.

See here:
MeAmBobbo PodHD Guide - Tips and Pitfalls

meambobbo

Reaction score
Tried a post earlier but got cut off. I've found one of the worst things about the Pod is the sound isn't as crisp and responsive as I'd like. I've tried boosting before the amp model, adjusting Sag and other DEP's, using less gain, setting input Z...improvements but never got exactly where I wanted.

But last night I decided to do some more extreme experimenting with the Cab DEP's. I knew Res. Level could be turned down to get a crisper, albeit more scooped tone, but I was always hesitant to reduce Decay or Thump. Decay I even turned up to get a slightly thicker and smoother tone. But when I turned them down, I found the response I was looking for. A few simple EQ tweaks to dial back in some low end thickness, but some Low Cut/Mid-Focus HP treatment to keep out the droning ultra-lows. And boom - I found the response I wanted.

Crazy it took so long to discover such a simple tweak. Bottom line is my new defaults for the Res. Level, Thump, and Decay params is 25%. I tend to keep them between 15-35%. Any lower and things start to sound too thin and dry and thus artificial. Any higher and the tone seems to lose definition and have a bit of drone to it.