Nemonic

Reaction score
Hmmm. Would there a way to run it live? Like to turn of cab modeling on the HD500 then just connect someway straight to the HD500 and play through my Alto?

Sure, just put it after the 1/4 line out (depends on which Torpedo would you use). You can even try the power amp modeling inside the Torpedo along with Pre models inside your POD.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck

Reaction score
Sure, just put it after the 1/4 line out (depends on which Torpedo would you use). You can even try the power amp modeling inside the Torpedo along with Pre models inside your POD.

Ahh all right sweet. Damn this will sweet. Hopefully I can get one of these in a few months :metal:

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Exactly as I said, between the 1/4" out and whatever you plug into. I'm pretty sure you could also use the fx loop method. The power amp simulation on the torpedo seems to be fairly good. Ola uses it with the Randall satan preamp section in one vid. However, we have the power amp simulation already on our pods and I think it would be better than the torpedo.

ayaotd

Reaction score
Do any of you guy know any inexpensive monitors I could use with the pod? I am tired of using headphones!

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Do any of you guy know any inexpensive monitors I could use with the pod? I am tired of using headphones!

M-audio av30 I think the model is. They're only $100 and I've heard a lot of good reviews. They're a little small if your looking for a lot of low end though.

Nemonic

Reaction score
At first, the idea of combining POD and Torpedo seemed dull to me. Now I see that it is a very good idea. You can use the FX Loop that will allow you to use post eq and XLR outputs. Dude, this is serious. A cheap alternative could be Digitech GSP 1101.
Thank you guys, I like bearing those ideas in my mind.

meambobbo

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Hiway 57 On/XXL 57 On? Am I right that there is no correction needed?

Yes, both the XXL 57 on axis and the XXL 409 will sound good with the Hiway 57 on axis without any need for adding latency (phase correction) to either channel. I've used both before with pleasant results.

Generally, any green colored cell in those spreadsheets I made should sound "good" without any adjustment, but when I say "good" I mean there won't be the additional complication of the cab/mic pair causing extreme comb filtering. Some combinations simply don't mix well no matter what, and some will just make the tone way too dark or woofy or whatnot that it's impossible to eq it back to a usable place.

Bodes

Reaction score
Hi guys, have done the search through this thread and can't fins the answer I want.

I am thinking of buying one of the HD500's for just use of the effects, no distortions, no amp simulators, to plug into my Engl Powerball II.

Has anyone used it like this using the PBII?

Does the PB take to it well?

4CM?

Looking around it sounds the better option, price-wise and tap-dance wise than buying individual pedals.

Or could you point me towards a source which could assist in this matter? Google just chucks up forum threads about the HD500 PB simulator.

MrYakob

Reaction score
Hi guys, have done the search through this thread and can't fins the answer I want.

I am thinking of buying one of the HD500's for just use of the effects, no distortions, no amp simulators, to plug into my Engl Powerball II.

Has anyone used it like this using the PBII?

Does the PB take to it well?

4CM?

Looking around it sounds the better option, price-wise and tap-dance wise than buying individual pedals.

Or could you point me towards a source which could assist in this matter? Google just chucks up forum threads about the HD500 PB simulator.

I don't have an Engl, but I did recently just start using my HD Pro as an effects unit via 4cm for my EVH 5150ii mini. It works really well, which is good because now I don't have to go out and buy a ton of pedals! Plus you can use it for recording via usb without having to worry about micing your amp.

Reaction score
Sorry for not replying, but in the little time I had before the show, I spent 30 minutes testing meambobbo's advice on gain staging.

Using the setup I described (No input pad, inputs to Guitar/Same, gain on the treadplate at 100%) the pod doesn't seem to clip as long as I have the model volume below 85% or so.

I tested my RG470 with a D-Sonic on the bridge using Pad, Inputs to: Guitar/Variax, and added a tube pedal or screamer before the treadplate, and the treadplate with gain not more than 65%. Despite it seemed I could achieve the same gain level than my previous setup, palm mutings lost all dynamics and sound wasn't as definite as my previous setup.

I'm not an audio engineer, but I haven't been able to find traces of clipping before the amp/pedals in the line, therefore the signal seems to go in clean and nice. Having distortion 95% made by the treadplate (I use the tube preamp before the treadplate) makes distortion sound really nice, at least to my ears. The presets which are designed to be used in the studio/direct mode use the model amp volume at 50%, which is a good output without any noticeable clipping.

Latest posts