jrstinkfish

Reaction score
Maybe it's been asked before, but has anyone attempted a Black Breath tone match? Basically the Swedish DM sound, but it just sounds clearer and heavier to me than Entombed ever did.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
You'll say wow when you realize how limited you are with the hd400. The hd500 is worlds ahead.
Yeah, it's pretty stupid that you can't even have both an EQ and a tube screamer in the 400 signal chain.

surfthealien

Reaction score
Love the tone in From Nothing, patch please. I would be grateful:bowdown:.

Ok I tweaked it a little more to switch from lead patch to rhythm patch just flip the delay off. Depending on your pickups you may want to play with the noise gates. I'm going to keep tweeking on it.

http://line6.com/customtone/upload/index.html

and here is another short clip with it. No bass or post processing and with delay on all the guitar bits because like a dummy I didnt shut it off for the rhythm tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/surfthealien/slo-fball-tone-test

feilong29

Reaction score
Is there a command key or something like that to delete unwanted patches in HD edit?

I just clear out all effects and amps and move my other patches into the empty spots; but ya, wondering the same!

Ocara-Jacob

SSO Recluse
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good metal bass patch that they'd be willing to share with me? I'm getting ready to track my EP and I need a solid bass tone.
Thanks in advance to anyone who's willing to help.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good metal bass patch that they'd be willing to share with me? I'm getting ready to track my EP and I need a solid bass tone.

What has worked well for me is to just tweak something that sounds meaty and full, then use the parametric to make a narrow cut at 70hz. Then your bass to e isn't fighting with the thump of the kick drum. I'm not 100% happy with my bass tone, but it works fairly well. Ola England makes a fairly wide cut around 500hz which seems to help as well.

One other thing that's helped me is to use the tse b.o.d. in the post processing. It's a free vst, so it's quite handy.

Reaction score

The best thing you can do is save for a cheap bass, something like a Washburn Bantam XB-100. That's what I did and it's the only way that your songs sound like a band and real. With the pod, you just select the Ampeg model and you can get anywhere between a quiet but solid bass and a metal one.

Rygar91

Reaction score

You should watch this He gets a pretty awesome bass tone by the end of the video.

thebunfather

Custom Monkey
Reaction score
What has worked well for me is to just tweak something that sounds meaty and full, then use the parametric to make a narrow cut at 70hz. Then your bass to e isn't fighting with the thump of the kick drum. I'm not 100% happy with my bass tone, but it works fairly well. Ola England makes a fairly wide cut around 500hz which seems to help as well.

One other thing that's helped me is to use the tse b.o.d. in the post processing. It's a free vst, so it's quite handy.

I like mixing a clean bass track with the TSE B.O.D. I try to cut the lows out of the TSE track, so it doesn't get muddy. Use the clean bass track for lows and the TSE for the gritty midrange.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
The best thing you can do is save for a cheap bass, something like a Washburn Bantam XB-100. That's what I did and it's the only way that your songs sound like a band and real. With the pod, you just select the Ampeg model and you can get anywhere between a quiet but solid bass and a metal one.

Pretty sure he already has a bass...

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I like mixing a clean bass track with the TSE B.O.D. I try to cut the lows out of the TSE track, so it doesn't get muddy. Use the clean bass track for lows and the TSE for the gritty midrange.

I actually don't even use the drive on it lol. I have been planning on playing with mixing a distorted bass track again. I'll have to try it out.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
ok, i just played around a bit with a bass tone after watching that vid.

for the main, clean bass tone try this:

noise gate: threshold 50 decay 0
tube comp: thresholh 30 level 30
solo100 clean: master at 63% channel volume at 70% drive around 30-40 and eq to whatever. it doesnt seem to do much.
parametric eq: freq. 38%(500hz) q at 50% and gain at 30%

cab xxl v30 with 409 mic.

Reaction score
That's correct, I've got like 5 basses, just no good bass tones for the HD.

I'll probably just use my X3 for bass on the album, I found something I like out of it.

That is what Paul Ortiz from Chimp Spanner did for the longest time since the X3 actually HAS bass patches and amps.

Hey dude, I could hook you up with my bass tone that I just finished and posted a few pages back. I can guarantee you'll love it. It may not be what you are specifically looking for, but the two other members on here I have given it to have really liked it as a foundational starting point for tweaking.