Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Can I have some help guys, Stephen Carpenter has an axe-FX set so he can blend the two chains together and control the mix of each blend with a expression pedal, can the 500 change the blend of it's 2 channels?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
Can I have some help guys, Stephen Carpenter has an axe-FX set so he can blend the two chains together and control the mix of each blend with a expression pedal, can the 500 change the blend of it's 2 channels?

I could see that working. Set the amps at an equal volume, and then set the expression parameters so one direction will turn up one amp and down the other and vice versa.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
I could see that working. Set the amps at an equal volume, and then set the expression parameters so one direction will turn up one amp and down the other and vice versa.

Is there any chance the expression pedal can control the two channel mixer when the two chains come back together?

Maybe make a demo. Please.

GalacticDeath

Reaction score
I just got a Pod HD500. I only messed around with it for about 3-4 hours today so I can't make any absolute judgements yet. However, I'm having some trouble nailing a good rhythm tone. I remember the PodXT had a terrible hiss in a lot of cabs which made them unusable. I had to use LePou LeCab to get some usable cab impulses like catharsis. I don't hear a hiss in the HD but I'm comparing my old XT tone to my new HD tone and find the XT tone to be better, I'm thinking it's the cab impulse.

What do you think of the PodHD cab sims?

Would I be crazy to use LeCab instead of the HD cabs?

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
Footswitches above activate or deactivate individual effects in every patch. I remember that when the HD series first came out, the comparison against the X3 (Besides better quality and all that) was that an HD500 for example was designed towards live situations while the X3 was designed for studio situations. Of course, you can use both models for both situations, but don't worry, the HD500 has what you need for a good live show.

Thanks, also thanks to Kane_Wolf.

I tend to mix up terminology, my common assumption was that a patch is what could be described as an amp setting + fx, but that might be what a bank is, or not? (let's get this clear once and for all :p)

To illustrate what I want the POD to do: in a song I could use three different amps, Overdrive (A), clean (B) and a mellower (B) overdrive. If I were to switch in this order A>B>C>A, I'd have a problem if I could only use the up/down switch, because I couldn't do a clean single tap from C to A.

So how does this apply to the explanation on how patches/banks work on the POD?

Kristianx510

Reaction score
Yeah the HD's stock cabs are the only downfall of the unit in my opinion. I'm trying to find a solution myself.

Yo_Wattup

Kick the Butterfly
Reaction score
Yep, you are right, the cabs are terrible. Thats why I'd advise running it through a power amp/guitar cab setup live or using some other IRs in the studio

wakjob

Reaction score
Line 6 really screw up by not including at least a few user IR slots when they released the HD series.

guitarfreak1387

squirrel chaser
Reaction score

I tend to mix up terminology, my common assumption was that a patch is what could be described as an amp setting + fx, but that might be what a bank is, or not? (let's get this clear once and for all :p)

To illustrate what I want the POD to do: in a song I could use three different amps, Overdrive (A), clean (B) and a mellower (B) overdrive. If I were to switch in this order A>B>C>A, I'd have a problem if I could only use the up/down switch, because I couldn't do a clean single tap from C to A.

in the pods set up page there is an option on how the switches work, you can set it up where all the switches are for turning fx on or off, or there is another option for the top row to turn on and of fx and the bottom row is for switching patches, this is the one that you want.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score

The default mode is ABCD, where the bottom four footswitches do exactly what you want them to do. There's also a secondary mode you can turn on via a menu option to make those 4 footswitches switch on and off different effects blocks. Just leave it on ABCD mode and you'll be more than fine.

myampslouder

Reaction score
The cab Sims are junk. Im really surprised line 6 hasn't made the jump to IRs. If the pod HD series was able to load IRs it would dominate the market.

Reaction score

I'm gonna sum it up for you :)

Google an HD500 picture and you have tons of footswitches. As someone explained before, the POD works in two options: Default mode is ABCD, meaning you have 4 presets in ABCD footswitches, and the footswitches above can be assigned to anything you please. It'll be hard to find a situation where you need to switch banks. That's the beauty of the upper assignable footswitches. You can have many options within a preset itself, but of course, if you need 3 amps, you can have 3 patches in ABC. The other mode converts the footswitches in pedals, but I never used it in that mode.

progman

Reaction score
I don''t think they are THAT bad. I plugged the pod into a alto pa speaker (using the models obviously) at guitar center the other day and it blew my marshall cab away. I think it depends on what your comparing them to. Obviously, comparing them to the actual cab, they are not as good. What do you expect for 500 bucks?

GalacticDeath

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. I'll keep messing around with the cabs in HD for a while because I don't want to write them off so easily. If I have time, I might post some clips comparing HD cab sims to other cab impulses like catharsis.

I don''t think they are THAT bad. I plugged the pod into a alto pa speaker (using the models obviously) at guitar center the other day and it blew my marshall cab away. I think it depends on what your comparing them to. Obviously, comparing them to the actual cab, they are not as good. What do you expect for 500 bucks?

Yeah I'm not saying they're trash, but I think they could sound way better.
For 500 bucks I expect quality that's better than free cab impulses I can find online. Having said that, I still think the PodHD is a great unit, I have no regrets

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
You should ask this in the giant POD HD thread on this forum, if only because you'll get more and better responses, but I've yet to find a stock HD cab that doesn't sound like total ass except the ENGL, which is admittedly fantastic. I've experimented with the power vs. only pre models and solid state vs. power amp-colored impulses, including Recabinet, as well as the TPA-1 power amp VST plug-in. The only problem I've found is that the stock HD cabs tend to be well-suited to the amp models, and when you use external IRs you wind up with a crapload of fizz- even more than normal for a Line 6 product. I'm still playing with things, and I'm sure if I ever find a godsend-type cab tone I'll post it on here.