Reaction score
If someone still thinks POD HD sounds fizzy, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4AQvDOGuqI#t=71

Who's fizzy now? :)

I know there's a lot to do with eqing stuff on Axe, but in my opinion HD sounds much better in this comparison.

Man, the Axe FX II is not worth that kind of money... I know you can load impulses but, damn! the POD still sounds great, and that's why I'm still happy using it :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
Man, the Axe FX II is not worth that kind of money... I know you can load impulses but, damn! the POD still sounds great, and that's why I'm still happy using it :D

In fact, inability of loading impulses is the biggest weakness of POD, but even with those built in ones we are able to, almost, make everything we want.

Price-wise, couldn't agree more.

One more thing, I don't get why some people complain about the fizziness. I know that every real high gain amp contains those nasty frequencies. Why would else eqs exist?

Reaction score
In fact, inability of loading impulses is the biggest weakness of POD, but even with those built in ones we are able to, almost, make everything we want.

Price-wise, couldn't agree more.

One more thing, I don't get why some people complain about the fizziness. I know that every real high gain amp contains those nasty frequencies. Why would else eqs exist?

You're right about that, but there's something in the fizziness that makes it sound digital. I thought the same as you when I recorded my last record, but even with EQ in the mixing stage, it was hard to get rid of it. Besides, I think I overdid gain with those patches...

For my latest recordings I took the approach of using the screamer and build distortion along the amp model, and use less gain in both as well. And somehow, the mid-focus EQ, well set, gets rid of much of the fizziness involved with the POD. I feel it'll make it way easier to get the desired sound next time I mix.

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
You're right about that, but there's something in the fizziness that makes it sound digital. I thought the same as you when I recorded my last record, but even with EQ in the mixing stage, it was hard to get rid of it. Besides, I think I overdid gain with those patches...

For my latest recordings I took the approach of using the screamer and build distortion along the amp model, and use less gain in both as well. And somehow, the mid-focus EQ, well set, gets rid of much of the fizziness involved with the POD. I feel it'll make it way easier to get the desired sound next time I mix.

That's correct, higher gain = more fizziness. I also find that dynamic mics produce more of it compared to SMs, but they are sometimes necessary to gain the desired tone.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
Here's another lead tone, little revised

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/alice_akw/lead-test-v2[/sc]

nooooice Alice, gonna give it a try to your lead patches when I finish moving. I've never actually sat down to make a lead patch, generally I just grab my usual rhytm patch, add delay, add some mids, add some gain, an let it be

nice song choice too, my favourite by Intervals :D

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
Currently learning it by ear, it's a lovely one <3

And here's a little slap tone test with my 8 string (Just my usual rhythm tone with both humbuckers)

D1SCOVERIES

Reaction score
I have a question guys,

With the axe fx 2 you are able to send midi notes to it to change the patches, I know periphery and a few other bands do this live. I was wondering if the POD HD Pro X is capable of the same thing.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
I have a question guys,

With the axe fx 2 you are able to send midi notes to it to change the patches, I know periphery and a few other bands do this live. I was wondering if the POD HD Pro X is capable of the same thing.

Yeah that's possible. I have yet to figure out exactly, but you can do a google search on 'pod hd midi cc'.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
my bandmate currently plays that way

I own an HD500 so I don't have a problem playing a bit of tapdance :D

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
That's the good thing of the HD500. It's practically the same thing as the Pro, you don't need extra hardware or cables, you have footswitches and pedal right there.

Thats very true, yet it is a more vulnarable unit. On stage, you'd rather not have anyone knock their beer over it for instance. On mine, the tap footswitch isnt working properly anymore, after only a couple of months of service.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
I have a a question. Is there any way to use the HD 500 as a midi controller? Because if so, I'm going to end up getting one as a placeholder until I can afford the Axe FX 2, and then use it as a midi controller. I would say i'd just get the POD and be done with it, but not being able to load IR's, and having a far more limited amp selection(No 5150 model, really?), the Axe 2 still seems like the ultimate for me. But the POD as Alice has been demonstrating is more than capable of getting the tones i'm after.

lewis

Reaction score
I have a a question. Is there any way to use the HD 500 as a midi controller? Because if so, I'm going to end up getting one as a placeholder until I can afford the Axe FX 2, and then use it as a midi controller. I would say i'd just get the POD and be done with it, but not being able to load IR's, and having a far more limited amp selection(No 5150 model, really?), the Axe 2 still seems like the ultimate for me. But the POD as Alice has been demonstrating is more than capable of getting the tones i'm after.

As far as Im aware it does double as a Midi controller yes. I have the HD Pro but Im sure Ive read numerous people using the HD500 for this reason your talking about.

I dont use the Pods built in IRs as I use 3rd party ones instead direct. The lack of older amp models like Big Bottom/Peavey etc was the reason I bought a Vetta II HD to partner with it.

Live, direct Rig of mine is Vetta II HD + Pod HD Pro (connected 4c into Fx Loop of Vetta) + Two Notes Torpedo CAB for the IRs > P.A

Reaction score
Thats very true, yet it is a more vulnarable unit. On stage, you'd rather not have anyone knock their beer over it for instance. On mine, the tap footswitch isnt working properly anymore, after only a couple of months of service.

True, but I bet a floorboard controller isn't that cheap either...Key is don't let assholes drop things on your board or walk over it. Also, play in decent places where the band is where it should be and the public is where it should as well, heheh. I don't think POD's or any floorboard are designed to be spilled beer on (Wouldn't be a bad idea if they were).

Before the POD I owned a Korg AX3000G and many people complained about footswitches failing as well. The thing is microswitches soldered to boards are not as sturdy footswitches on analog pedals. So I always mind that, even in the excitement of live gigs, when pressing the footswitches. It's been more than 2 years since I bought it and all footswitches work great so far. It has survived many rehearsals and live gigs, so if you take care of it, it'll will work fine.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the compliment, Curt :D

It's just a matter of EQ really. The preamp models are fantastic enough on the POD, so I use the best IR for my sound on there and post-EQ it for my tone. I generally use a Mid Focus for basic low pass and high pass, a studio EQ to tame the boominess and the fizzy/scratchiness, and a Parametric EQ with a rather wide Q to sculpt the midrange to more of the curve I desire. I'm just as much a producer as I am a guitar player, so I look at it much a similar way as EQing a vocal track or a snare in a DAW, finding what needs to be tamed, taming them, and letting the good frequencies shine through.

Oh, and to balance out my ramblings. I have an updated rhythm tone ^^
[sc]https://soundcloud.com/alice_akw/pod-hd500-8-string-tone[/sc]

tomsargent

Reaction score
So here's something I cooked up using my HD500. It's not metal, so it's definitely different than what normally gets posted on this forum. For the rhythm guitars, I used my VFE focus into the AC30 model on the pod. The solo section uses the SLO overdrive channel also pre-eq'd by the VFE focus. The bass guitar was DI'd and I eq'd it inside logic, so no HD500 on that track. Happy holidays!

tripguitar

Settler of Catan
Reaction score
can i get some of you guys to share your thoughts on balancing gain vs clarity?

Everytime i think ive found the perfect tone while playing a riffy-riff i try a chuggy-chug and there's no sustain to the palm muting.

Everytime i think ive found the perfect tone while playing a chuggy-chug i try a riffy-riff and there's no clarity to the individual notes.

I normally use the engl or line 6 electrik with either the screamer or the line 6 version of it (the yellow lookin one) with either the 57 off axis or an 87 condenser on XXL cab. Some variation on those options always sounds good for either riffing or chugging but never both. halp?

Ocara-Jacob

SSO Recluse
Reaction score

Everytime i think ive found the perfect tone while playing a riffy-riff i try a chuggy-chug and there's no sustain to the palm muting.

Everytime i think ive found the perfect tone while playing a chuggy-chug i try a riffy-riff and there's no clarity to the individual notes.

I normally use the engl or line 6 electrik with either the screamer or the line 6 version of it (the yellow lookin one) with either the 57 off axis or an 87 condenser on XXL cab. Some variation on those options always sounds good for either riffing or chugging but never both. halp?
Try throwing a compressor in front of the amp. Might help add a little sustain to your palm mutes.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score

The technique of your palm mutes could be a factor as well, the closer your palm is to the neck, the shorter the sustain and more percussive the sound. Also make sure that your tone is free of any mud in the 200-300hz region, as while it can make for very bassy, booming palm mutes, it can kill your articulation.