This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
As explained in the manual, Line should be used when connecting the POD to the power amp stage of a guitar amp or a power amp head. Amp should be used when connecting the POD to the input of a guitar amp. If this makes it more clear, imagine that the "Amp" switch sounds quieter because it lets the preamp of the guitar amp raise the volume and then send it to the power amp stage. The "Line" switch makes the POD send a pre-amped signal, thus connected directly to the power amp stage of an amp directly. If the amp head you're using has a preamp stage (to connect microphones, whatever), you should set it to "Amp". I prefer to connect the pod to the power amp stage of anything because I prefer to equalize from the POD's amp emulation and EQ, rather than colour the tone with the preamp and EQ of an amp stage. Be sure not to set to "Line" and connect to a preamp stage, because you're going to be pre-amping the signal twice, and most likely clipping.

yikes. i've been doing it all wrong then. you know where in the manual i can read more about this? been looking and i cant find it.

TheRileyOBrien

Reaction score
yikes. i've been doing it all wrong then. you know where in the manual i can read more about this? been looking and i cant find it.

You may not be doing it "wrong". It is pretty obvious if it is clipping. It can be used either way as long as it sounds good in your setup.

"Line" has a 10db boost for padded inputs like mixers and recording interfaces. It actually works well with some amps and not so much with others.

Reaction score

Go to line6's website, in the download section you will find it.

You may not be doing it "wrong". It is pretty obvious if it is clipping. It can be used either way as long as it sounds good in your setup.

It's not that obvious when you're using a high gain model. There could be minor clipping, almost unnoticeable, and if you're recording, it could show when the track is being mixed or mastered...and he will have to re-record all over.

Of course he can keep using it this way, but it's not the proper nor recommended way to do things.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
thanks for the tip. will try that out this coming weekend rehearsal. i thought the 10db boost in line out would distort my signal. that's why i never used it.

is this the reason too why using the pod hd in 4CM sounds sterile through the output? like there is a loss of volume and high mids.

TonyGD

The (other) Dude
Reaction score
I just got a Pod HD500X, long time user of the X3. I have heard people say that the X3 has more bass and vocal patches. Then again I wouldn't really know what the difference would be since I haven't really messed around with anything besides guitar on my HD(just got it today woo!) and I did own the desktop X3. So if it really ends up being that much of a difference (since I do record bass sometimes) I may hold onto my X3 juuuust incase. Yet I've been thinking about getting an powered interface to run my Pod into, as opposed to Pod straight into computer via USB.

Reaction score
I just got a Pod HD500X, long time user of the X3. I have heard people say that the X3 has more bass and vocal patches. Then again I wouldn't really know what the difference would be since I haven't really messed around with anything besides guitar on my HD(just got it today woo!) and I did own the desktop X3. So if it really ends up being that much of a difference (since I do record bass sometimes) I may hold onto my X3 juuuust incase. Yet I've been thinking about getting an powered interface to run my Pod into, as opposed to Pod straight into computer via USB.

Well, I'd suggest you keep your X3 if you can, to have more options when recording. The HD is supposed to sound better, although it has less amp options. You can still record vocals using a dynamic microphone and an XLR cable. The HD has only one bass amp, an Ampeg which sounds decent; that's all I can say. I'd belive the 500X already has latest amp updates (soldano, ampeg) but I'd recommend you update firmware to the latest. Also, reset your pod (setlists and pedal) to avoid any kind of problems after having updated. You can find information about it in Line6's forums. The X3 could be useful if you want to have more options when recording bass, or some amp models that the HD doesn't have, for example, those peavey heads.

By the way, why would you want a powered interface? The pod IS an ASIO interface itself. Unless you need to record vocals with condenser microphones (You'll need that interface to have phantom power as well) or mike amps, The POD is all you need.

TonyGD

The (other) Dude
Reaction score
Well, I'd suggest you keep your X3 if you can, to have more options when recording. The HD is supposed to sound better, although it has less amp options. You can still record vocals using a dynamic microphone and an XLR cable. The HD has only one bass amp, an Ampeg which sounds decent; that's all I can say. I'd belive the 500X already has latest amp updates (soldano, ampeg) but I'd recommend you update firmware to the latest. Also, reset your pod (setlists and pedal) to avoid any kind of problems after having updated. You can find information about it in Line6's forums. The X3 could be useful if you want to have more options when recording bass, or some amp models that the HD doesn't have, for example, those peavey heads.

By the way, why would you want a powered interface? The pod IS an ASIO interface itself. Unless you need to record vocals with condenser microphones (You'll need that interface to have phantom power as well) or mike amps, The POD is all you need.

I updated the firmware (had to Update Monkey,downloaded the HD editor as well afterwards) the previous owner unregistered/reset the unit before he shipped it out. Thanks, yeah those Line 6 forums help a lot. I figured out how to configure the Pitch Glide to the expression pedal for a Whammy effect. Yeah I was reading about the HD having a lot less bass amps. I used a tweaked version of the X3 Chimp Spanner bass preset and I love that tone. The reason for a powered interface? For the reasons you listed, also so I could record midi from my synth (MicroKorg) direct If I left my house and didn't bring my 500X with me. With just the Pod I have to be really close to wherever the cables from my monitors reach(being right in front of the computer for long bums me out sometimes). A powered interface could permit me to move further back (I'm weird, sometimes I like sitting/standing a little further from my computer and jamming along with my tracks without looking at the screen).

Reaction score
I updated the firmware (had to Update Monkey,downloaded the HD editor as well afterwards) the previous owner unregistered/reset the unit before he shipped it out. Thanks, yeah those Line 6 forums help a lot. I figured out how to configure the Pitch Glide to the expression pedal for a Whammy effect. Yeah I was reading about the HD having a lot less bass amps. I used a tweaked version of the X3 Chimp Spanner bass preset and I love that tone. The reason for a powered interface? For the reasons you listed, also so I could record midi from my synth (MicroKorg) direct If I left my house and didn't bring my 500X with me. With just the Pod I have to be really close to wherever the cables from my monitors reach(being right in front of the computer for long bums me out sometimes). A powered interface could permit me to move further back (I'm weird, sometimes I like sitting/standing a little further from my computer and jamming along with my tracks without looking at the screen).

Nice to hear. The person who sold you the POD was a good one in order to take the trouble to do all things so you don't have problems to update or use pod edit. I'd suggest you go through the advanced manual as well as most read topics in the forums. I know it's too long and you wanna play, but the POD is really complex and you can do a lot with it, but you have to know how. After you've gone through all Line6 can give you, read this awesome manual on the pod: MeAmBobbo PodHD Guide - Contents. You'll learn to dial excellent tones with it, and open your mind to different settings in the chain.

As to the powered interface, I do have an interface in my desktop computer indeed, and I understand that, but buying a long cable that goes to your monitors should let you have the pod in the floor. If you can buy one, even better, as well as to keep the X3. Going back to the bass patches, I think the HD brings a lot of default ones, but made with guitar amp models previous to the Ampeg model release. Still, I think the X3 has a lot to give yet, so if you can keep it, as well as to buy an external interface, even better.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
Ignore the terrible tracking and mixing of this bit where I used the HD500 for the clean and bass tones (there is a synth as well, but it's pretty easy to discern IMO). If anyone wants the patches I'll upload them.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/dbartko/lunar-phases[/SC]

Last edited:

triface

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been doing a lot of research on this but have been unable to reach an answer.

I intend to buy the Pod HD500 or Pod HD Pro X soon, and I would like to use it as my interface so I would like to avoid buying another interface. Cost aside, that's another box I have to find space for.

I'm pretty set on the Pro because of its form factor and I/O options. More specifically, I'm interested in the dry signal out on the Pro. My question is will this allow me to reamp without an interface? Would the HD500 be able to do the same without this? Or neither of them have the ability to reamp without an interface?

Just as additional information, I will be using this as an amplifier as well, since I've got no space to house a combo, let alone a head and cab. From an economical standpoint, it would seem the Pod is cheaper for what it does, and is more convenient for both recording and gigging. I also have no stomp box or effects, so the expression pedal on the HD500 is a huge plus. However, space is so limited I'm willing to give that up in exchange for a more conventional shape. It does help that I cannot recall any artistes I regularly listen to who use the wah or other expression effects.

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been doing a lot of research on this but have been unable to reach an answer.

I intend to buy the Pod HD500 or Pod HD Pro X soon, and I would like to use it as my interface so I would like to avoid buying another interface. Cost aside, that's another box I have to find space for.

I'm pretty set on the Pro because of its form factor and I/O options. More specifically, I'm interested in the dry signal out on the Pro. My question is will this allow me to reamp without an interface? Would the HD500 be able to do the same without this? Or neither of them have the ability to reamp without an interface?

Just as additional information, I will be using this as an amplifier as well, since I've got no space to house a combo, let alone a head and cab. From an economical standpoint, it would seem the Pod is cheaper for what it does, and is more convenient for both recording and gigging. I also have no stomp box or effects, so the expression pedal on the HD500 is a huge plus. However, space is so limited I'm willing to give that up in exchange for a more conventional shape. It does help that I cannot recall any artistes I regularly listen to who use the wah or other expression effects.

Many questions at once. Indeed, the POD is an interface itself with native ASIO drivers (Low latency) capable of recording at 24-bit. My personal oppinion is that the POD HD Pro is not worth the difference of money. The only I/O options is that it has an S/PDIF input, which is only useful if you want to reamp something recorded in your computer without reconversion through POD models. The HD500 has an S/PDIF out which is what you'd most likely use if you wanted to connect to an interface digitally. Besides, even if you're not a Wah guy, it'll come a point where you'll want to use one, or the whammy, or any setting you can assign to the pedal. Besides, in the eventuality you get in a band, you also have the footswitches there. The HD Pro needs an external switchboard, which costs money and you need extra cables to set all up. Aside from the S/PDIF input and the on/off switch, there's nothing better in the HD Pro to make it worth.

On the reamp thing, one of the ways would be to use the S/PDIF out set to "Dry input", but you'd need an interface with S/PDIF coaxial in. In theory, you could make 2 chains in the pod; one being the desired chain with effects, amp and cab, and the other one, completely sepparate from the first one and no effects, amp or cab whatsoever. Both panned left and right, shouldn't interfere one with other, and you could set 2 mono channels, one of them recording left input and the other one the right input. Then you'd have the actual pod recording and a dry recording as well in case you want to reamp.

The HD500 is great for the value. However, I believe nothing sounds as real as the real thing. The board also brings most known pedals and effects, so you won't have lack of them. However, the POD is a complex thing, and many people gets discouraged because they just want to plug & play. It takes a lot of time to read the manual, Line6 forums, Meambobbo's tone guide, and this thread as well. I won't lie, it takes time to dial good tones, but I believe you need to read and learn all I mentioned before to achieve this. It's also challenging in the sense that you have to change the philosophy of a real effects chain. For example, you wouldn't set anything after the amp in the real life (aside from studio/mixing/mastering effects), but you can and I suggest to do this with the POD, since chorus, flangers, delays and reverbs sound way better after the amp than before. If you're creating high gain tones, it's also suggested to use an EQ after the amp.

The HD Pro is big as well, but I'd really suggest you the HD500 for all the reasons mentioned above.

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
Well, I definitely suggest using the PAD switch on for any high gain pickup, definitely if that pickup is an X2N. Maybe, with the PAD switch on, setting the inputs to guitar/variax could definitely lower the input a lot. In my case, I use the PAD switch on but inputs are set to guitar/same. What I do to avoid clipping is to use only the left chain (I set two amp slots, one with the amp and the other without an amp), in the mixer set the left channel to the middle and mute the right channel. In this way, it sounds great without lowering the input like the guitar/variax setting does.

I almost forgot....what about the dual amp combinations? Many of my patches are dual amped.

That signal/clip/noise ratio shit really annoys me.

triface

Reaction score
Many questions at once. Indeed, the POD is an interface itself with native ASIO drivers (Low latency) capable of recording at 24-bit. My personal oppinion is that the POD HD Pro is not worth the difference of money. The only I/O options is that it has an S/PDIF input, which is only useful if you want to reamp something recorded in your computer without reconversion through POD models. The HD500 has an S/PDIF out which is what you'd most likely use if you wanted to connect to an interface digitally. Besides, even if you're not a Wah guy, it'll come a point where you'll want to use one, or the whammy, or any setting you can assign to the pedal. Besides, in the eventuality you get in a band, you also have the footswitches there. The HD Pro needs an external switchboard, which costs money and you need extra cables to set all up. Aside from the S/PDIF input and the on/off switch, there's nothing better in the HD Pro to make it worth.

On the reamp thing, one of the ways would be to use the S/PDIF out set to "Dry input", but you'd need an interface with S/PDIF coaxial in. In theory, you could make 2 chains in the pod; one being the desired chain with effects, amp and cab, and the other one, completely sepparate from the first one and no effects, amp or cab whatsoever. Both panned left and right, shouldn't interfere one with other, and you could set 2 mono channels, one of them recording left input and the other one the right input. Then you'd have the actual pod recording and a dry recording as well in case you want to reamp.

The HD500 is great for the value. However, I believe nothing sounds as real as the real thing. The board also brings most known pedals and effects, so you won't have lack of them. However, the POD is a complex thing, and many people gets discouraged because they just want to plug & play. It takes a lot of time to read the manual, Line6 forums, Meambobbo's tone guide, and this thread as well. I won't lie, it takes time to dial good tones, but I believe you need to read and learn all I mentioned before to achieve this. It's also challenging in the sense that you have to change the philosophy of a real effects chain. For example, you wouldn't set anything after the amp in the real life (aside from studio/mixing/mastering effects), but you can and I suggest to do this with the POD, since chorus, flangers, delays and reverbs sound way better after the amp than before. If you're creating high gain tones, it's also suggested to use an EQ after the amp.

The HD Pro is big as well, but I'd really suggest you the HD500 for all the reasons mentioned above.
Really appreciate the very detailed answer. Thanks!

It does sound like I need a separate interface no matter what if I wanted to do reamping, Pod or not. I guess for now I'll just take the time to learn the Pod and worry about reamping later. TBH, I actually see myself dialing the tones in before worrying about recording instead of using reamping as the main way of doing things. I just thought it'd be good to have that option, but it seems there's a limit to how "all-in-one" the Pod HD is.

I do understand the Pod is very complex, and that the presets kind of suck. I'm fully prepared to spend time learning how to dial in the tones. I also like instant gratification, so I'll definitely just be noodling around on the presets for some time before starting to play around with the settings, especially since I usually take a little time to hear what's wrong with the tone I'm using. Then, when that time comes, I won't bitch about how the Pod sucks, but how the presets suck. :)

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
My band did one of them update video things (cause that's apparently just what bands do), the guitars and bass are all recorded with POD HD500s which makes it relevant :v

If anyone maybe has any feedback on the mix that'd be pretty rad, cause we are looking to try and do the best job we can and may not have noticed something pertinent :)

Also I know I've posted this in two threads, I'm just douchey like that I guess :D

Reaction score
I almost forgot....what about the dual amp combinations? Many of my patches are dual amped.

That signal/clip/noise ratio shit really annoys me.

Dual amps seem to lower down the input and therefore the clipping possibility. Always use the PAD switch on. As I explained before, when I use single amps, I still send one to the left, and cancel the second amp in the mixer. In that Way I can have single amp patches and dual amp patches without having to change the input settings all the time. Also, mind the high gain amps in the POD are fizzy...so you could be feeling it's clipping all the time when it's just fizzing. To avoid this you can use the mid focus EQ or other EQs. Check Meambobbo's guide for this since I learned from that guide.

Check that the Amp volume is not over 50%, or using gain on the amp like 100%. Try to build distortion by adding the screamer before the amp and get heavy distortions by combining both. It's hard and complex, but it helps to build great sounding patches.