MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
There are many strange little quirks like this on the HD series, huh?!

I'll have to check out Variax as the second input option too, now that you've brought it up.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

meambobbo

Reaction score
Almost too many 0_o

Someone on the gear page tried to tweak one of my patches and said mine was phasy until he changed input 2. I always knew it was hotter but never heard a tonal difference. But I was testing clean. For distorted there is a more noticeable difference and I've heard it's worst when using mono summing effects. A/b'ing the patch in question it was clear.

Angle pod on the hd forum said a good workaround is to use a splitter on the guitar cable before the pod and run it into both guitar and aux inputs and use input 1 guitar, input 2 aux

meambobbo

Reaction score
As far as clipping eqs I've found my tones are now too smooth. I'm often replacing the eq with a screamer now so I can get that light crunch distortion in front my amp distortion to make it more hairy. But it's a more natural distortion tone and my leads are still smooth.

PodHdBean

Reaction score
i do love 5150s but i would love something more modern sounding like a deizel or vht that would be thhhheee SHIIIT!

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I don't use dual amp patches usually anyway, so I think I'll be fine. I won't have a chance to test for a while though as I smashed my finger with a hammer at work and am in the middle of an engine swap on my truck :( fun times....

I haven't even had a chance to try any of the meambobbo patches damnit!!!

LolloBlaskhyrt

HD Pro abuser
Reaction score
I use a single amp for both rhythm and lead tone (Engl head + Engl cab + 57 off xs). Today I tried to add another cab. I tried Mesa, Hiwatt and Bogner with various mics, keeping the same amp setting on the second head. Not bad, but I prefer the one-head configuration...

meambobbo

Reaction score
I use a single amp for both rhythm and lead tone (Engl head + Engl cab + 57 off xs). Today I tried to add another cab. I tried Mesa, Hiwatt and Bogner with various mics, keeping the same amp setting on the second head. Not bad, but I prefer the one-head configuration...

It's a lot trickier than it looks.

You have to make sure you're getting a signal into Channel B. I recommend using Input 2: Variax, but then you have to have a mono-summing effect in front of the path split. I like a Hard Gate or Noise Gate for this purpose. Distortion effects also work.

Depending on the cab/mic choice in Channel A vs. the cab/mic in Ch. B, you may get comb filtering. I prefer to use choices that are pretty much entirely in-phase. This means I almost always use the 57 on axis for both cabs for my dual cab patches. If you start mixing other mics, there's almost always comb filtering, and the tone sounds muffled or fake. You can acheive at least partial phase correction by using neutral EQ blocks behind one of the cabs before the mixer to slightly delay the signal, but it's a harsh sacrifice of DSP.

Using the 57 on axis on a bright cab guarantees a harsh top end, so it's necessary to use a Mid-Focus EQ to trim some of it. I like my LP freq between 80-93% and LP Q between 0 and 30%. Using this gets you the natural roll-off some of the other mics have, but you have a crispier, more-defined high end.

Using equal or even similar EQ'ing on the two amps is usually no good since the cabs have such divergent frequency response. I prefer to use darker settings on Channel B, where I use the XXL cab. The other cab, I tend to use brighter settings. When they mix, they reinforce each other rather than fight for dominance over certain frequencies. This is particularly noticeable in the treble. But I don't dial anything down to 0%. Usually that sounds like part of the tone is missing. I'll find which channel has the "better-sound" for a given EQ control, and I'll dial that one up, then I'll bring up that EQ control on the other Channel until it fills in any emptiness but doesn't start to hurt the tone from the other channel.

MeAmBobbo PodHD Guide - Cabs and Mics

PodHdBean

Reaction score
blend a plexi and engl together. compression before the amp a couple noise gates. and you should get that tone just boost your mids and cut off the low low end :shred:
Meambobo, I have a challenge for you:

Something like this. I've tried, and I cant get close.

TaylorMacPhail

Heisenberg
Reaction score
so the FBV SHORTBOARD™ MkII is the only pedal we can use to get the looper going?

Nope, I have the MK1, just hit the FX loop button at the top of your pedal, hit channel A to start recording, then B to stop recording and play it back. All the controls show up on the screen of your POD when you hit the FX Loop pedal anyway :)

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the recorded loops' output level is lower than what my input level is and this is very annoying.

japs5607

Reaction score
Ok I'm looking at pods to try and slim down the stuff I have to carry to practice. Can I use a pod hd 500 >rocktron velocity>4x12 cab

Currently I have a Peavey 6505 in a large case that is back breaking to move around and I use a 4 x 12 at the practice rooms we use

So In theory what I'm looking to carry is a 4u rack case and the hd500 oh and a guitar

Thanks

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
I wish there was a decent bandpass/notch/comb filter with an LFO, any way to fake it that isn't DSP heavy?

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
Ok I'm looking at pods to try and slim down the stuff I have to carry to practice. Can I use a pod hd 500 >rocktron velocity>4x12 cab

Currently I have a Peavey 6505 in a large case that is back breaking to move around and I use a 4 x 12 at the practice rooms we use

So In theory what I'm looking to carry is a 4u rack case and the hd500 oh and a guitar

Thanks

Yes. POD500 -> POWER AMP -> CAB.

No problem.