meambobbo

Reaction score
He's using dimarzio crunchlab/liquifire in one guitar and d-Activator 8's in the other, so I doubt you have much more output if any lol

That's right. Keep in mind I use the pad switch to lower the input a bit. This will increase your headroom before the Pod's input A/D converter. Attenuating the signal digitally inside the Pod's signal chain is too late. If you've already gotten clipping, it won't matter if you attenuate a clipped signal.

All ADC's suffer from this issue when faced with a highly dynamic input signal. The options are to compress/limit the signal before digitizing it, or have the mean volume be very low.

Anyway, I can surely clip my Pod by strumming very hard, especially over my bridge pickup, with my bridge pickup selected. Thing is, that's just not my style of playing. When I'm strumming, I'm usually using parallel humbuckers or a coil tap, and more likely the neck pickup than just the bridge. and I don't strum hard.

I would turn off EVERYTHING in your chain. Still getting clipping? There's NOTHING you can do about that inside the digital chain. You can use the Pad switch. You can get a buffer pedal to attenuate the signal before the Pod. You can lower your pickups (although likely is not tone-neutral). You can turn down the guitar volume knob. You can even wire in some form of attenuation to lower the max output of your guitar.

Now, if you're NOT clipping when you have everything off, it's time to figure out where in the digital chain you are clipping, then attenuate before that. Lots of toggling things on/off one at a time, and compensating volume before and after stuff. The common trick to attenuate the signal out the gate is to use input 2 Variax, but this only makes a difference when you have a mono-summing effect (or amp block) before the path split. I tend to always do that. Often, I'll also use a Volume effect, but turn the pedal control off and set it to a fixed volume. It uses next to no DSP and gives you fairly strong control over exactly how much attenuation you need.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

meambobbo

Reaction score
correct me if I'm wrong but there shouldn't be a tonal difference between using an interface via a digital connection (SPDIF, AES) and using USB, only a latency difference. I definitely prefer my interface.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
correct me if I'm wrong but there shouldn't be a tonal difference between using an interface via a digital connection (SPDIF, AES) and using USB, only a latency difference. I definitely prefer my interface.

Well that's some food for thought. I would definitely like a lower latency though...

RobPhoboS

Reaction score
Something a little different from the usual tones...

I'm just looking for some tips on re-creating these unique tones just for fun, to play along with :yesway: (not record)

Obituary:

From what I could see on other sites - potentially this stuff:
Guitar with Emg 81 (keeps the pickup low) > Rat Distortion (volume at 9 [of ten], filter in middle, distortion 'a little past halfway'), hush unit > 100 Marshall JCM 800 (midrange all the way down, gain cranked, treble/bass/presence almost all the way up, volume at three or four).

Entombed:

I know they were using HM-2 pedals cranked all the way up and JCM800, or possibly 5150's.

Anyway, something different to mess with :metal:

Reaction score
Good answers. I think I've improved my tone significantly, but overall, reading the coments, I could even experiment more. Sadly, I have that gig on sunday, lots of things to do still, so I don't think I'll be able to give more experimentation to it.

Yesterday I tested the Master DEP, but I didn't like the results when I was going over 50% on the Treadplate. As I mentioned before in one of the edits, Increasing Bias to 100% seemed to give that sound I wanted for the 4x12" cab, without losing dynamics or good sound when palm muting, for example.

I'm intrigued by the pad feature. The 6-string guitar I'm going to use in this gig has a D-Sonic on the bridge, and that's all I use. My input switch is set to Normal, and the input settings are input 1: Guitar, input 2: Same. I have changed to Variax as suggested, or tried the Pad in the input switch, but all I find is that I can't get the amount of gain I need. With these settings I mentioned before, I have the Treatplate gain at 100% to get the desired sound. But I was thinking perhaps using the pad or the Variax mod in the input 2 could help improving the sound, and I could set the Master DEP higher to compensate the input pad and Variax setting of the input 2. I hope I'm not using the wrong terms again, and you can follow me.

I've been sending the signal to the Power Amp In of the amp head with the "line" setting, as supposed.. Still, I'm gonna give it a try changing to Amp, as Meambobbo said, and see if sound improves and I still have headroom for high volume on the amp head.

For sure, Meambobbo deserves a PHD on this :)

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Good answers. I think I've improved my tone significantly, but overall, reading the coments, I could even experiment more. Sadly, I have that gig on sunday, lots of things to do still, so I don't think I'll be able to give more experimentation to it.

Yesterday I tested the Master DEP, but I didn't like the results when I was going over 50% on the Treadplate. As I mentioned before in one of the edits, Increasing Bias to 100% seemed to give that sound I wanted for the 4x12" cab, without losing dynamics or good sound when palm muting, for example.

I'm intrigued by the pad feature. The 6-string guitar I'm going to use in this gig has a D-Sonic on the bridge, and that's all I use. My input switch is set to Normal, and the input settings are input 1: Guitar, input 2: Same. I have changed to Variax as suggested, or tried the Pad in the input switch, but all I find is that I can't get the amount of gain I need. With these settings I mentioned before, I have the Treatplate gain at 100% to get the desired sound. But I was thinking perhaps using the pad or the Variax mod in the input 2 could help improving the sound, and I could set the Master DEP higher to compensate the input pad and Variax setting of the input 2. I hope I'm not using the wrong terms again, and you can follow me.

I've been sending the signal to the Power Amp In of the amp head with the "line" setting, as supposed.. Still, I'm gonna give it a try changing to Amp, as Meambobbo said, and see if sound improves and I still have headroom for high volume on the amp head.

For sure, Meambobbo deserves a PHD on this :)

Please don't set the drive on the amp model to 100%.... It will never sound good.

Set your input 2 to variax, use the pad switch if you need to. But turn the drive up on your boost before the amp model. Say, if your using a screamer, have level at 100 and drive at anywhere from 5-15%

Having the boost turned up will give you a desirable effect. Having the input signal clipping from using input 2 as same will give you digital clipping. Distortion that you add in the signal chain will always sound more musical and "real"

Reaction score
Please don't set the drive on the amp model to 100%.... It will never sound good.

Set your input 2 to variax, use the pad switch if you need to. But turn the drive up on your boost before the amp model. Say, if your using a screamer, have level at 100 and drive at anywhere from 5-15%

Having the boost turned up will give you a desirable effect. Having the input signal clipping from using input 2 as same will give you digital clipping. Distortion that you add in the signal chain will always sound more musical and "real"

I'm gonna give it a shot later. Thing is I need to have gain in the amp model to 100%, and still have the preamp model before the amp adding a bit of distortion to achieve the desired sound. If I lower the gain, palm mutings mostly doesn't sound that heavy. I've tried a screamer or tube drive before the amp so I don't have to raise the amp gain lots, but I never achieved anything good from it.

I'll try the level thing on the pedal, I just hope it doesn't clip the input of the model amp heh.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
yeah i was thinking the Line 6 Elektrik + the bogner should do it

Patches with two different amps never sound good.

I would try using two elektrik's, but have different presence settings, as the presence knob on that model works very differently than all the other amps. It also happens to be the original bogner model

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I'm gonna give it a shot later. Thing is I need to have gain in the amp model to 100%, and still have the preamp model before the amp adding a bit of distortion to achieve the desired sound. If I lower the gain, palm mutings mostly doesn't sound that heavy. I've tried a screamer or tube drive before the amp so I don't have to raise the amp gain lots, but I never achieved anything good from it.

I'll try the level thing on the pedal, I just hope it doesn't clip the input of the model amp heh.

Something isn't right if you need the model drive at 100. Your palm mutes will have basically no attack. Yuck... Just thinking about it makes me cringe lol

Are you using a tube compressor at the start of the chain? Because if your not, that should be the first thing you try.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
Something isn't right if you need the model drive at 100. Your palm mutes will have basically no attack. Yuck... Just thinking about it makes me cringe lol

Are you using a tube compressor at the start of the chain? Because if your not, that should be the first thing you try.

My last patch with the slo-overdrive PRE going into the dt25 I had the drive at 13% Your drive definitely doesn't need to be high to sound heavy!

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
I'm using the line 6 elektrik believe it or not lol I posted the link to the patch in the video description.
Wow. haha
I have never given the Electrik a try. I cant snag the patch until I get home monday, but thanks for that. :hbang:

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Wow. haha
I have never given the Electrik a try. I cant snag the patch until I get home monday, but thanks for that. :hbang:

Playing with the presence knob is the key. It changes the whole character of the amp rather than adjusting the high end. You should also try the epic if you haven't. Set the master dep to 100 and the drive knob to basically zero and boost it with a screamer or q filter. The power amp has a really great tone for blending as the secondary tracks for quad tracking.