JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
Recorded this just to test out the EzDrummer+Metal Machine that I just got, but it occurred to me last night after I finished this that it's somehow the first full song I've recorded since I got my Pod. :ugh: Nonetheless:

https://soundcloud.com/oceansbuiltonsinkingships/aria-volunteer-cover

First time I've recorded a clip of any length using my Rectifier tone or lead tone, I'm enjoying how it turned out. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, I went back 15 pages and I didn't see anything obvious, so I guess I'm just blind. :wallbash: Unless you're just referring to the comment about them being too thin-sounding...

I assume if you're using TPA-1 and an IR, you're using just the pre model with that? Or do you use the POD's power amp modeling and the TPA on top of that? (I guess really this is one of those "if it sounds good, it is good," regardless of whether it would make sense to have two power amps in series on a physical amp...) I haven't played around with it much yet, because I haven't figured out how to wire everything up so that I hear only the post-VST output with TPA/IRs instead of the raw POD sound and then the processed sound slightly delayed.

It was a lot less than 15 pages ago. I've only used the tpa a few times. Ive been trying to simplify things by either using just my pod or just the x50 or legion.

As I've said at least 200 times in this thread, turn on your computer, open your control panel, click on line6 audio-midi devices, turn hardware monitoring down.

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
I feel like the last person on the planet who reads manuals anymore :lol:

You can use the TPA to either provide tube coloration or serve as a whole power amp stage. If you want just coloration, turn the resonance knob all the way down. If you want a whole power amp stage, turn it up, but if you do that you should be using IRs recorded with a solid state power amp, because otherwise it will double the tube emulation and make it sound crazy boomy.

In either case, you should only use the POD's pre model, because the full model already contains power amp simulation. You can also use the full model and an IR recorded with a tube power stage, like catharsis or sneap edge from JJ powertubes.

Experiment, find what sounds good. If it doesn't sound good, it's probably not meant to be used that way.

Examples:

POD Uber pre --> TPA-1, resonance all the way up ---> Recabinet or Kalthallen cabs (solid state, no tube coloration)

POD Uber pre ---> TPA-1, resonance down --> catharsis or sneap edge(well-defined tube power simulation baked into the IR)

POD Uber full --> Recabinet or Kalthallen cabs

POD Uber full --> catharsis or sneap edge (I've been doing this lately. Technically it still doubles the power amp stage, but that depends on how high you set the master volume on the amp parameters, and it sounds pretty good)

POD Uber full --> TPA-1, resonance down ---> catharsis or sneap edge (not recommended, just doesn't sound very good, but feasible nevertheless)

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Yea, I hear it now. Ever try a straight blend of your electronica stuff and your metal stuff? Something Fear Factory-esque?

Yeah I have, and I really love doing it, but I don't have any of it fully fleshed out and released. It's all very choppy. I'll be working on it though when I finish tracking the band that I am for sure!!

macgruber

cat enthusiast
Reaction score
hey fellas. does anybody know if its possible to run dual amps with cab sims to FOH and another line without cab sims to an fx loop return?

cheers!

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
hey fellas. does anybody know if its possible to run dual amps with cab sims to FOH and another line without cab sims to an fx loop return?

cheers!

Doesn't sound like it'd be too difficult. Pan the amps hard left/right and run different cables out of the left and right 1/4" outs to your different sources.

macgruber

cat enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like it'd be too difficult. Pan the amps hard left/right and run different cables out of the left and right 1/4" outs to your different sources.

thanks for the advice, the only thing is that im trying to run an uber 4x12 and xxl 4x12 at the same time for the FOH and no cab sims using the treadplate head to the other. i can get it to work with a single cab but i've got my perfect tone using two cabs at the same time :(

first world problems i know.:wallbash:

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
thanks for the advice, the only thing is that im trying to run an uber 4x12 and xxl 4x12 at the same time for the FOH and no cab sims using the treadplate head to the other. i can get it to work with a single cab but i've got my perfect tone using two cabs at the same time :(

first world problems i know.:wallbash:

You are well out of luck then as far as I know... Sorry dude. Only advice I can give is to just record your parts in two takes and blend the two tracks with the differing tones.

myampslouder

Reaction score
This may be a repost but i didn't feel like searching through over 300 pages to see if a little tip was posted already

Stumbled upon a little trick to counter the phasing issue that can occur when running dual amps. stick the Vintage Mic Pre in front of one of the amps. it has a phase control and will correct the phasing issue. only downside is the mic pre will clip easily so it needs to be placed in the signal chain before the tubescreamer. I have mine setup like this

left signal screamer----->Angl F-ball---->Angl XXL 412--->409 dyn

right signal Vintage Mic Pre--->Screamer--->Treadplate--->Treadplate 412--->409 dyn

set the phase of the mic pre either at 0 or 180 whichever sounds clearest and thickest

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
This may be a repost but i didn't feel like searching through over 300 pages to see if a little tip was posted already

Stumbled upon a little trick to counter the phasing issue that can occur when running dual amps. stick the Vintage Mic Pre in front of one of the amps. it has a phase control and will correct the phasing issue. only downside is the mic pre will clip easily so it needs to be placed in the signal chain before the tubescreamer. I have mine setup like this

left signal screamer----->Angl F-ball---->Angl XXL 412--->409 dyn

right signal Vintage Mic Pre--->Screamer--->Treadplate--->Treadplate 412--->409 dyn

set the phase of the mic pre either at 0 or 180 whichever sounds clearest and thickest

Meambobbos guide has a chart that shows you exactly what you need for every cab/mic combo

Innervision

Reaction score
I find it quite "easy" to dial in a good hi gain tone with the POD HD, it's also easy to dial in crystal clean tones. But it's kinda hard to dial in a good warm tone (that was easier with the XT/X3).

I'm trying to reproduce Wes Borland's delayed clean sound from Livin It Up and I'm having a hard time doing so.

This is my take at this sound, I haven't played yet with the Recto and F Ball with some low drive to get that warm round sound in the low mids. I'm 100% open to suggestions. This tone was dialed in with a EMG 81/85 pickup set.

https://app.box.com/s/81bz2aop7grb1wgcs8lu

drowningfishy

Reaction score
Hey guys, I bet this has been asked already but searching the forums has come up with no results.

Is there any real difference between the Pod hd pro and the hd pro X?? I have the pro right now but am able to get the X if I sell my pro for a decent price. Any help would be great!