This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score

wespaul

Octaves of Manhattan
Reaction score
I'm bleary-eyed and at my wits end right now. Hopefully somebody can help me. I'm using a HD500X and all I'm trying to do is mic my acoustic. I remember doing it easily a few years ago on my old HD bean desktop, but for some reason now I'm running into trouble. It's so quiet right now --I can barely hear it with my volume all the way up. I record into adobe audition and it's so quiet that, when boosted, is picking up all the background noise too. It sounds awful, and nothing like my older, simpler recordings.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? I'm hoping it's something simple that I just overlooked. I couldn't find any patches, either (and the only video I found was explaining how to run both a mic and guitar signal at the same time). Please, somebody show me how I'm being stupid about this.

lewis

Reaction score
I'm bleary-eyed and at my wits end right now. Hopefully somebody can help me. I'm using a HD500X and all I'm trying to do is mic my acoustic. I remember doing it easily a few years ago on my old HD bean desktop, but for some reason now I'm running into trouble. It's so quiet right now --I can barely hear it with my volume all the way up. I record into adobe audition and it's so quiet that, when boosted, is picking up all the background noise too. It sounds awful, and nothing like my older, simpler recordings.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? I'm hoping it's something simple that I just overlooked. I couldn't find any patches, either (and the only video I found was explaining how to run both a mic and guitar signal at the same time). Please, somebody show me how I'm being stupid about this.

can you add the vintage pre in the chain?

Rizzo

Reaction score

My acoustic recording patch is made up of just a vintage pre with conservative settings. Eventually, a touch of tube comp if needed.

meambobbo

Reaction score
Are you sure your input settings are correct? Are you sure its not the guitar, maybe it needs new batteries? Can you try it straight to DAW?

Rizzo

Reaction score
Hi there everyone. I asked for some reported experiences regarding the use and compatibility of the Pod HD series with Windows 10 but didn't get replies, so I thought I'd open a dedicated thread.

My situation is the following. I've got 2 PCs at home
- Working (non-recording) pc: Win7. Love it.
- Recording pc (newer and more powerful): Win 8.1.
No actual issues at all but I just can't put up with Win 8, throws me off constantly and really puts off my workflow.
My entire recording process is based on the Pod HD500.

EDIT: Forgot to state I'm using Reaper as my DAW.

So, after waiting for some time for caution, I think it would be about time to upgrade to Win10 on the recording pc.
I googled for info on the use of Win10 with the HD series a bit, but got mixed results. Saw there have been driver issues on Win10 this summer and didn't understand if Line6 fixed them to this date. Still skeptical.

What's your advice? Will my HD500 work on Win10? Any experiences?
And also, it is -generally speaking- convenient to upgrade to Win10 or is it a bad product? I'd like to keep the feel of Win7.

Thanks and happy 2016.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
So... I feel so dumb.

All these weeks I was bashing the cabs for making my bass tone sounding bad.

I finally got my new bass a week ago. I was so turned off by the L6 tones that I didn't bother with tweaking the POD for it, so I stuck with my plugins.

Well, 2 days ago, I decided ".... it, I'll give it another shot." Instead of using my Aria Pro II Integra (Korean-made), I used my new Yamaha RBX775. I dialed in a sound with the GK800, threw a tube compressor in front with the threshold slightly raised (53%). Scooped the low mids a bit (40%), boosted the high mids (60%), and kept the treble flat. Gain at around 60%, master at 100%, boost at around 12%, contour "off" (set below 50%). I also used the Rhino 410 with the 7 Dyn mic, and dimed the Res Lvl for even more mids.

Aaaand yeah, I finally dialed in my sound. Holy .... I didn't realize how bad the stock pickups in my Aria were. :rofl: Definitely need to get a new set of pickups for this thing. Probably will get an EMG P/J set.

RobPhoboS

Reaction score
ok, i reworked my entire setlist (mostly) for the last time. I can't get any better than this, and even if I can, it's not worth the effort. There are a few turds still in here, but 95% of them are satisfying to my ear. I hope you fellas enjoy. Consult the rig list and legend files to see what the naming conventions mean, and try them on top of the albums they are designed to emulate where appropriate - I think they fit the mix quite well.

Directory /podhd/patches
http://www.foobazaar.com/podhd/patches/patches.zip
http://www.foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/TOTAL_MEAMBOBBO.zip

feel free to PM me with questions (or use the contact form on my site), and I hope these patches breathe new life into your Pods!!!

Many thanks for the update, and for packaging everything nicely like that :yesway::yesway:

pastanator

electronic musician
Reaction score
So... I feel so dumb.

All these weeks I was bashing the cabs for making my bass tone sounding bad.

I finally got my new bass a week ago. I was so turned off by the L6 tones that I didn't bother with tweaking the POD for it, so I stuck with my plugins.

Well, 2 days ago, I decided ".... it, I'll give it another shot." Instead of using my Aria Pro II Integra (Korean-made), I used my new Yamaha RBX775. I dialed in a sound with the GK800, threw a tube compressor in front with the threshold slightly raised (53%). Scooped the low mids a bit (40%), boosted the high mids (60%), and kept the treble flat. Gain at around 60%, master at 100%, boost at around 12%, contour "off" (set below 50%). I also used the Rhino 410 with the 7 Dyn mic, and dimed the Res Lvl for even more mids.

Aaaand yeah, I finally dialed in my sound. Holy .... I didn't realize how bad the stock pickups in my Aria were. :rofl: Definitely need to get a new set of pickups for this thing. Probably will get an EMG P/J set.

What I'm doing now is just bypassing the amp completely, running the red comp at 100% for both parameters, and then hitting the TSE Sansamp plugin in reaper.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I did that for awhile, as well as some EXTREME EQing to get the Aria to sound good.

But using the Tube Comp + the GK800 with the Yamaha pretty much nailed the tone in my head.

Rizzo

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm wondering how many of you use a Pod HD with a pair of M-Audio BX5 D2. Good combo? I'm looking to buy some monitors and my budget it's small.
A friend of mine had some M-audios and I found them super bass-heavy, really coloring the tone.
Still they're acceptable monitors for the price range.
I'd just save up for the long term and go for some Yamaha HS ones, one of the standards in the industry. Not so much expensive actually.

For the moment I'm using some old Roland M-8 monitors and so far so good. (btw, spotted Jake Bowen still rocking them in one of his videos so if they're good enough for him... well you know the motto :lol:)

RobPhoboS

Reaction score
Any suggestions for not super expensive monitors? Be aware i'm from Europe, everything tends to be a tad more expensive here. Well, at least in Spain hahah

Here I think is the most important advice.
Find a shop that allows you to spend time to demo them.

I did this when choosing my ones, I didn't have a big budget but spent probably 4 or 5 hours testing out as many as I could (including ones far beyond my budget for comparison).
There isn't a better way, unless you have others that you trust on recommendation.
I ended up with a fairly unknown set (inc sub) back in 2011 and still use them to this day :yesway:

Rizzo

Reaction score
Any suggestions for not super expensive monitors? Be aware i'm from Europe, everything tends to be a tad more expensive here. Well, at least in Spain hahah
Just spotted those on Thomann.
Don't know the brand at all, but seems like some sort of Yamaha ripoff. Posting just cause the price is so low (mind, it's the couple of monitors already).. Actually no idea about the quality.
Swissonic ASM5 - Thomann Italia

Petef2007

Reaction score
What do you POD owners reckon to the idea of running a HD Pro through the power amp of a Laney IRT studio? Right now i'm thinking of doing that for clean tones but i'm curious what type of balls out metal tones would be possible this way.

rohan daniel

Reaction score
its been long i posted here a
new mix and song that i worked
on for my band and tried using
less on board gear and more of vsts

any type of a feedback is a good feedback.

jackson dinky8 stock pickups
line6 podhd500
toontrack ez2
loads of waves vsts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKMdEEP_H48
and as always i hope you enjoy

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
Boogie Rhythm:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/dinko-infeqtor-lipova-a/infeqt0r-mesa-dual-rectifier-pod-hd[/SC]