Looking for a modeler on a budget

• Thread starter Allthegearnoidea
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Allthegearnoidea

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hiya :) I'm stepping into the world of modelers and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with getting high gain/modern metal/djent tones with any of the following and/or what they would recommend?

Line 6 Pod Go
Helix Stomp
Any Boss modelers.

I know it's usually a case of testing 'em myself but I can't get out the house due to disabilities and I can't afford to pay and return and wait for refunds etc, so any advice is welcome!

Thanks a lot :)

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hiya :) I'm stepping into the world of modelers and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with getting high gain/modern metal/djent tones with any of the following and/or what they would recommend?

Line 6 Pod Go
Helix Stomp
Any Boss modelers.

I know it's usually a case of testing 'em myself but I can't get out the house due to disabilities and I can't afford to pay and return and wait for refunds etc, so any advice is welcome!

Thanks a lot :)
I would go with a used HX Stomp. It can do modern metal with it no problem. Most retailers will take 15% off the price of a new one as well. Just ask.

Or if you have a really limited budget the new Pod Express. It’s ~$180.

Also it’s worth mentioning that Sweetwater is pretty painless for returns if need be.

If you have an audio interface you can run Neural Amp Modeler (NAM) for $0. Plenty of modern metal profiles out there.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Other "budget" choices. An Audio interface and:
  • MOD Devices Desktop Software
  • MOD Devices software running on a Raspberry Pi
  • MainStage (if you have a Mac)
  • Gutartrix running on a Raspberry PI

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I'd go with the HX Stomp over the POD Go since you'll have more options for signal routing and it gets more frequent updates. Plus you'll get a nice discount on Helix Native if you ever want to record without the hardware unit.

I have a Stomp in my full rig as just an effects unit, but I use Native a lot for writing, demos, etc. The whole HX family is capable of great metal tones :metal:

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Pretty much any of the HX will work out great for you.
Boss (GT1000Core) isn't a slouch either, built like a tank and has probably one of the lowest latencies among the modelers.

Guaranteed that you will get every sound possible from both units, personally I might go for the HX if I didn't have my MX5. HX has better UI and the PC editor is very straightforward. Boss does also have a PC editor but it isn't that friendly to use imho.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
What is your use case? Recording only? Live? Bedroom with an amp?
Do you have a computer? Would plugins work?
How versatile do you need it?

Steo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Another vote for hx stomp. If budget is tight, look at the Ampero Stomp 2, or Mooer prime p1 or p2 units

JimboLodisC

black Ibanez plz
Reaction score
if the HX Stomp is under consideration then just do that

then hook it up to a computer and use it as an audio interface to use amp sim plugins