LTD JH-600 CTM Heineken Stars Edition

• Thread starter Wiltonauer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anybody had hands on one of these yet? Mine is en route.

Jeffrey John Hanneman. Guitarist and songwriter. Beloved bandmate. Eight-time world champion Morris dancer. Devoted fan of Heineken. So how’s this new LTD that appears to be somewhat shipping now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PuckishGuitar

Wife has Dior, I have ESP
Reaction score
There are a few people on the Hanneman FB group that have one. So far it doesn’t seem much different than the previous LTD models, neck is a little wider at 42mm instead of 41mm. Definitely a thinner neck than M-IIs. I’m mostly curious if they are still increasing the neck thickness around the 15th fret up to the heel, haven’t gotten any responses on that.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I'm interested in one because I love the M-II CTM shape and I don't hate the star inlay. I had an H-dagger JH-600 that was a nice playing guitar. Hopefully these are just as nice.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was interested because I’ve always wanted a gloss black, neck-through superstrat with EMGs and a trem that I could just beat on and grind out thrash riffs in Eb and lower tunings while keeping some fairly stiff string tension. I always wanted a USA Jackson Soloist for that, but given the pricing of things now, and the enticing Kahler trem and JH endorsement, and how much I like my Kirk model, as well as other factors, it seems like high-end LTD is the new Jackson for me.

Masoo2

Reaction score

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I always thought they were based on a Jackson Soloist. I believe there is some historical precedent for metal players going to ESP for a guitar that Jackson used to make for them, and Jeff did have… what, two or three, at least, before he landed with ESP?

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
The Soloist was first, though the M-II CTM is slightly different.

I like the JH series so much because for whatever reason E-II and LTD don't otherwise offer the M-II CTM shape. The E-II and other LTDs M shapes generally lack the little scoop on the treble horn, though the '87 M-I has it.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
What is the Jeff Hanneman shape based on?
Looking at the E-II page: https://www.espguitars.com/products?categories=e-ii-guitars
it doesn't seem to be a standard shape, doesn't look like the horizon or M. It's one of the better looking strat shapes imo.
It's a Mirage/M but with a beveled cutaway that was used on some '80s and '90s models.

1987-5.jpg

Screenshot 2024-02-29 5.52.55 PM.png

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Based on the M-II CTM shape (Japan Original Series) but I have no idea which came first - the CTM or the JH
The JH didn't come out until the '90s iirc and the Mirage shape was introduced in 1986, even with the scooped cut.

EDIT: Yeah Jeff didn't get his first ESP until 1990 and (this surprised me) his first sig until like 1998/1999? I guess they just lost Kerry to BC Rich coming back and they scrambled to Jeff and wanted him to take his spot lol

I always thought they were based on a Jackson Soloist. I believe there is some historical precedent for metal players going to ESP for a guitar that Jackson used to make for them, and Jeff did have… what, two or three, at least, before he landed with ESP?
ESP was trying to get a foothold in the US market so what better way than to scoop up a bunch of popular western metal guitarists using already-established brands by building them whatever the fuck they want? lol

Last edited:

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
ESP was trying to get a foothold in the US market so what better way than to scoop up a bunch of popular western metal guitarists using already-established brands by building them whatever the fuck they want? lol

Don’t forget Ron Wood.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think everyone forgets Ron Wood is an ESP artist

Including me

And Ron himself

I always remember him because he’s the least-metal ESP artist I think I’ve ever seen, by a comically wide margin. Also he must own the only ESP tele-shaped instruments that stand a fair chance of being mistaken for Fenders.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There are a few people on the Hanneman FB group that have one. So far it doesn’t seem much different than the previous LTD models, neck is a little wider at 42mm instead of 41mm. Definitely a thinner neck than M-IIs. I’m mostly curious if they are still increasing the neck thickness around the 15th fret up to the heel, haven’t gotten any responses on that.

Well, it’s here. The only caliper I have that will work for measuring neck thickness has some drift problems, but I think I can give you an idea. My measurements were taken at the center of the fretboard, on the nut side of the fret, touching the side of the fret but not on top of it:

1st fret: 19.9mm
12th fret: 20.5mm
15th fret: 21.5mm
17th fret: Difficult for me to measure accurately because the curvature increases substantially here, but something like 31mm.
19th fret: Asymmetry starts to take over. Nearly half of body thickness at the center of the neck.

There is definitely some heel when you slide your hand all way up the neck — slightly more so than on my Demonology (also LTD), and much more than on either of my Soloists. The Soloists are almost aggressively heel-free by comparison. (Is that why I’ve been having nightmares about the necks on my guitars collapsing under string tension?)

Last edited:

PuckishGuitar

Wife has Dior, I have ESP
Reaction score
Well, it’s here. The only caliper I have that will work for measuring neck thickness has some drift problems, but I think I can give you an idea. My measurements were taken at the center of the fretboard, on the nut side of the fret, touching the side of the fret but not on top of it:

1st fret: 19.9mm
12th fret: 20.5mm
15th fret: 21.5mm
17th fret: Difficult for me to measure accurately because the curvature increases substantially here, but something like 31mm.
19th fret: Asymmetry starts to take over. Nearly half of body thickness at the center of the neck.

There is definitely some heel when you slide your hand all way up the neck — slightly more so than on my Demonology (also LTD), and much more than on either of my Soloists. The Soloists are almost aggressively heel-free by comparison. (Is that why I’ve been having nightmares about the necks on my guitars collapsing under string tension?)
Thanks for checking it out! Sounds like the other LTD Hannys and some LTD M-IIs. It’s not a bad thing, it feel nice in the palm, but not my favorite if soloing with thumb on the back. The old ESP versions are like your Jackson Soloist, which makes sense from Jeff’s guitar progression. I kinda want one, but don’t have a place for another Kahler right now.

Closest to the JH but with the typical M-II neck of 300mm radius fretboard, 42mm width and thin U neck. And a blade switch. The JH is definitely a bit of its own thing even without the Kahler. I have a large ESP neck specs listing from ~2005 and the JH, and to a different extent the KH-2, had the most shreddy necks compared to everything else.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The new Hanneman is pretty great. Of course I tuned it to E flat right away and started dusting off Slayer riffs. I was pretty rusty, but the tone was there, through anything remotely resembling an 800. Along the way, I started playing a Ratt song I didn’t really know, quite by accident, and it sounded the way I always wish I sounded when I play hair metal. It occurred to me that the guitar actually sounds amazing, like there’s some kind of synergy between it and the EMGs where everything just falls into place. I called up a Deluxe Reverb, turned the bass down to 2, the treble to 7, maxed the gain, and played blues licks for an hour. It did not sound like a guitar with an 81/85 set. Then a classic rock jam. It sounded the way I wish my old Epi LP sounded.

What is going on?

Marked Man

Reaction score
The new Hanneman is pretty great. Of course I tuned it to E flat right away and started dusting off Slayer riffs. I was pretty rusty, but the tone was there, through anything remotely resembling an 800. Along the way, I started playing a Ratt song I didn’t really know, quite by accident, and it sounded the way I always wish I sounded when I play hair metal. It occurred to me that the guitar actually sounds amazing, like there’s some kind of synergy between it and the EMGs where everything just falls into place. I called up a Deluxe Reverb, turned the bass down to 2, the treble to 7, maxed the gain, and played blues licks for an hour. It did not sound like a guitar with an 81/85 set. Then a classic rock jam. It sounded the way I wish my old Epi LP sounded.

What is going on?

Part of the mojo is the feel of the Kahler. For starters, it doesn't move when you are hammering fast riffs as a Floyd can. The Floyd allows a wider range of frequencies to jump out (lower lows especially), which is no surprise given its connection to the body via multiple large springs.

But the Kahler Hannemans have the Slayer vibe for sure. The riffs simply sound authentic. 👹

I wish they would include the top shelf Kahler 2315, especially now that the LTDs are creeping up on $2000!

Must have mod: EMG SPC midboost to replace the tone control (bonus is no restriction on treble output). Trust me. 💥 I first learned of the SPC many years ago via Hanneman. The SPC is magic with an EMG guitar and a cranked amp!

Last edited:

Marked Man

Reaction score

What is going on?

BTW pics of your new guitar not loading. Is something wrong with my internets?

🤔