Lundgren Black Heaven

• Thread starter sonoftheoldnorth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Checking out the DIs, since the demos have clearly different settings. Downloading...

EDIT: Ok, so I compared them with a random VST. Black Heavens are definetely brighter than ceramic Trident IIs, so they will be even brighter than the Alnico ones. It's specially noticeable on the neck pickup.

I replaced a BKP Aftermath for a Trident II set since the BKPs were too dry and harsh but now I miss some agression. Perhaps those will do the trick. They sound quite agressive to be alnicos!
The demos don't have different settings... That's literally the whole point of my shootout, to minimize variables and give people a pretty decent idea of how pickups compare to each other.
that is also why I do DIs..

But yeah the black heavens have way more treble in my mushok compared to the trident iis.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
The demos don't have different settings... That's literally the whole point of my shootout, to minimize variables and give people a pretty decent idea of how pickups compare to each other.
that is also why I do DIs..

But yeah the black heavens have way more treble in my mushok compared to the trident iis.

They sound radically different then. I didn't expect the Black Heaven to be that bright.

BTW, have you thought about miking up the amp? The DIs are really helpful, but camera audio doesn't capture nuances that well. Or perhaps a direct out using always the same impulse.

Considering the work you put into pickup testing, I think you could set up a nice demo channel with a bit of editing and a standarized procedure :yesway:

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
They sound radically different then. I didn't expect the Black Heaven to be that bright.

BTW, have you thought about miking up the amp? The DIs are really helpful, but camera audio doesn't capture nuances that well. Or perhaps a direct out using always the same impulse.

Considering the work you put into pickup testing, I think you could set up a nice demo channel with a bit of editing and a standarized procedure :yesway:
They do sound very different. The tridents are def lower output and don't feel as thick in the low mids, but have more low end ime. Black heavens smear notes a bit more, but they're still quite clear.

I've thought about miking up the f30 or doing direct to wall of sound, but that defeats the whole point of my shootout. Too many new variables introduced, plus DIs eliminate any issue with camera audio or other clips and people can use the DIs through their preferred settings/gear.
I have tons of supplemental clips where I use different amps and go direct/use IRs, I just haven't bothered making many of them into videos yet.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
They do sound very different. The tridents are def lower output and don't feel as thick in the low mids, but have more low end ime. Black heavens smear notes a bit more, but they're still quite clear.

I've thought about miking up the f30 or doing direct to wall of sound, but that defeats the whole point of my shootout. Too many new variables introduced, plus DIs eliminate any issue with camera audio or other clips and people can use the DIs through their preferred settings/gear.
I have tons of supplemental clips where I use different amps and go direct/use IRs, I just haven't bothered making many of them into videos yet.

I gotta be frank dude. Everyone hates camera audio and it's as pointless as it gets. DIs are useful, but no one will find useful a comparison between two things with crappy audio.

Removing it and going direct you wouldn't be introducing new variables, you'd be setting a decent testing procedure tone for future videos. It's like comparing stuff with a 240p camera and not wanting to upgrade it to retain objectiveness with older videos. It's still crappy video. Go Full HD or 4k. Same with audio.

Not trying to be an ass or anything, I'm legitimately trying to help. Your reviews are useful, your DIs are useful. But noodling 15 minutes with camera audio will not appeal anyone.

V1adimir

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is it worth moving from SD Alpha/Omega to Black Heaven? Is there an advantage of Lundgren over Seymour Duncan in general?

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
holy thread necromancy, batman!

To answer your question: no

They're pickups. Not Erskine's supersoldier serum. You can talk about specific models of pickups going into specific guitar types to be played in a specific rig for a specific genre. But no brand has an inherent "advantage" over another.

sell2792

Reaction score
Is it worth moving from SD Alpha/Omega to Black Heaven? Is there an advantage of Lundgren over Seymour Duncan in general?

Having not played the Black Heavens, I can honestly say the Alpha/Omegas are probably one of the best sets I’ve ever used or owned.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score

They're pickups. Not Erskine's supersoldier serum. You can talk about specific models of pickups going into specific guitar types to be played in a specific rig for a specific genre. But no brand has an inherent "advantage" over another.

Make this into a plaque

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
There's no real advantage, they just offer different flavors and are designed for different things. The a/o set is great, but the black heavens are cleaner, clearer and lower output.

V1adimir

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

You're right. I have a classic RG2228, which was purchased with DiMarzio D Activator pickups. Excellent pickups, fairly high output, readable on high gain, crisp cleans. A couple of years ago I decided to try other pickups and my choice fell on Pegasus/Sentient, which were not bad, but after them I realized that I like cermaic magnet more than alnico, and unlike DiMarzio, Duncans are fatter and darker on clean sound, which I don't really like. And another big + for DiMarzio is that they have less noise than Duncans. A year ago I bought Alpha/Omega and these are also excellent pickups, which I personally liked much more than murky Pegasus/Sentient, but still there is a feeling that something is missing. I sold the D Activator set a long time ago and now I regret it, now I'm thinking either to try something from Lundgren, about whom I've heard so many good reviews, or not to experiment and buy D Activator again, which are much cheaper and more affordable. As for the genre, well, let me name Meshuggah, Periphery and Intervals as a reference point for the sound :)

There's no real advantage, they just offer different flavors and are designed for different things. The a/o set is great, but the black heavens are cleaner, clearer and lower output.

So Black Heaven is medium output pickups? A/O is a high output, but at the same time I would say that it is quite restrained, something between high and medium. Also, someone else wrote, on this forum or somewhere else, that Black Heavens are well suited to basswood.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
So Black Heaven is medium output pickups? A/O is a high output, but at the same time I would say that it is quite restrained, something between high and medium. Also, someone else wrote, on this forum or somewhere else, that Black Heavens are well suited to basswood.

Black Heaven is medium output yes. Definitely NOT high output. They have a pretty chunky low end. Tight. Clean. Very "dry" sounding with tons of string definition. They don't have that kinda "wah" sound that a lot of modern pickups have.

A/O set, to me, was still more of a djent pickup. Not to my taste at all.

V1adimir

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Black Heaven is medium output yes. Definitely NOT high output. They have a pretty chunky low end. Tight. Clean. Very "dry" sounding with tons of string definition. They don't have that kinda "wah" sound that a lot of modern pickups have.

A/O set, to me, was still more of a djent pickup. Not to my taste at all.

Yes, A/O are definitely narrowly focused not as versatile as we would like.

There was an opinion that Black Heaven retained the aggression of the M8, is it possible with medium output?

Flappydoodle

Reaction score

There was an opinion that Black Heaven retained the aggression of the M8, is it possible with medium output?

I never played an M8, so I'm not sure, sorry

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score

Black heaven share some sonic qualities with the M8, but no, it's not as aggressive at the same gain levels. It can still get very aggressive (provided you throw enough gain at it) and it retains that classic lundgren M series low mid growl. It's just a different beast from the M series tbh.

V1adimir

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Black heaven share some sonic qualities with the M8, but no, it's not as aggressive at the same gain levels. It can still get very aggressive (provided you throw enough gain at it) and it retains that classic lundgren M series low mid growl. It's just a different beast from the M series tbh.

And if you compare A/O with M8, how different are they?

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
And if you compare A/O with M8, how different are they?
pretty different in voicing/feel. M8 has a stiffer, more percussive feel with a sledgehammer low end. Cleans are mediocre and not as good as the A/O set. The low mid growl they have can cause some murkiness with chords. High end can be a bit too sharp/overwhelming in the wrong guitar. the m8 is higher output and slams the front of an amp.

jyym

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
pretty different in voicing/feel. M8 has a stiffer, more percussive feel with a sledgehammer low end. Cleans are mediocre and not as good as the A/O set. The low mid growl they have can cause some murkiness with chords. High end can be a bit too sharp/overwhelming in the wrong guitar. the m8 is higher output and slams the front of an amp.
how do like the black heaven cleans, and combined split coil sounds from them? For example both inner or both outers

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
how do like the black heaven cleans, and combined split coil sounds from them? For example both inner or both outers
Cleans are great. Significantly better than the M series, which are kind of cold and dull ime. I can't really comment on the split coil sounds as I didn't have them in a guitar with splitting capability at the time.