Mark Holcomb of Periphery's Private Stock PRS 7 String Stolen in Austin TX.

Demiurge

Reaction score
How easy would it be to remove that writing and paint it over? Wouldn't it look weird?

That might be giving a little bit too much credit to the thief. Laypeople know what a guitar case looks like and know that guitars can sometimes be worth a good amount of money. There's a good chance that this thing's already sitting in a local pawn shop while the thief has consumed the proceeds.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
That might be giving a little bit too much credit to the thief. Laypeople know what a guitar case looks like and know that guitars can sometimes be worth a good amount of money. There's a good chance that this thing's already sitting in a local pawn shop while the thief has consumed the proceeds.

Sadly this might be the most realistic expectation, given how it wasn't even common knowledge he had this until this was posted by him.

Last edited:

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
Someone likely just grabbed a guitar case, they didn't know what guitar they were grabbing, or they knew it was a PRS case, but not the specifics.

LeoLmX

I like turtles.
Reaction score
It's ironic to know that if he had sold that guitar for at least 10x the price, it would seem like a legit guitar and the buyer would never be suspicious about it.

chipchappy

thudmaster
Reaction score
Didn't try to sell it for $200, he DID sell it for $200. Luckily the guy who bought it has a good moral compass and called the cops when he figured out what he had. Crazy.

Kinda makes you wonder if MAYBE the dude who turned it in was the one who stole it, changed his mind and SAID he bought it (plus he gets $200!)

Not saying that's what happened, just theorizing :lol: (since this is a closed case (no pun intended bah dum tss))

Edika

Reaction score
The thing is whoever stole the guitar stole a parcel left outside. They had no idea what was in and what the guitar was worth when they opened it. It seems like some guy in a rough spot jumped on an opportunity for some quick cash. Even if he understood that this was a custom guitar worth thousands dollars the fastest way to get rid of it would be to sell it in a flea market for cheap.

SDMFVan

Reaction score
If you get on Facebook the police department posted a video of them turning the guitar back over to Mark and the cop who recovered it goes through the entire story: Homeless/tweaker looking dude sold it for $200 at a flea market. Guy who bought it at the flea market didn't know music gear so he brought it to a friend that runs a local studio. Guy at the studio didn't know Mark or the story but knew enough to know something wasn't right, so he called his friend who is a cop and that guy ran it down and got it back to Mark.

The big mystery is how it got stolen in the first place, because according to Mark he lives in a very secure gated apartment complex and his wife was home when it was marked as "delivered" by Fedex. In the time it took Mark to get the notification that it had been delivered and call her and tell her to grab it, it was gone.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
If you get on Facebook the police department posted a video of them turning the guitar back over to Mark and the cop who recovered it goes through the entire story: Homeless/tweaker looking dude sold it for $200 at a flea market. Guy who bought it at the flea market didn't know music gear so he brought it to a friend that runs a local studio. Guy at the studio didn't know Mark or the story but knew enough to know something wasn't right, so he called his friend who is a cop and that guy ran it down and got it back to Mark.

The big mystery is how it got stolen in the first place, because according to Mark he lives in a very secure gated apartment complex and his wife was home when it was marked as "delivered" by Fedex. In the time it took Mark to get the notification that it had been delivered and call her and tell her to grab it, it was gone.
I thought he lived in a house? Where did you get that second paragraph from?

nyxzz

Reaction score

Often times Fedex and other shippers will mark something as delivered before it gets to the door, sometimes when they set out for the day. This has happened to me before.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
They also like to leave a door tag instead of ringing the bell if its a big package they don't wanna get off the truck. Jerks.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
As someone who's shipped hundreds of times at this point with Fedex as a business and consumer. It's been > 10 times, but they have marked it as delivered before it was dropped off, or mark it as delivered several hours after it's been delivered so unless you're sitting at the door like a dog you won't know it was sitting out there for 2-3 hours.

JoeyBTL

Reaction score
I'm very surprised that requiring a signature isn't mandatory with a ~$13k? PRS custom guitar. Very happy to see he got it back.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Could Mark even hold Fedex responsible if the guitar didn't show up again? If it's worth 7 000 bucks, then you'd hope they would if the guitar manages to get stolen.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
I'm very surprised that requiring a signature isn't mandatory with a ~$13k? PRS custom guitar. Very happy to see he got it back.

This. If I have a guitar or anything for that matter of significant value being shipped, a signature is mandatory. Granted I'm not sure of the circumstances as to why it was being shipped in the first place but man, they have to protect themselves better than that. Leave my $100 pedal at the doorstep great, but a Private Stock PRS? No way!

mastapimp

Reaction score
This. If I have a guitar or anything for that matter of significant value being shipped, a signature is mandatory. Granted I'm not sure of the circumstances as to why it was being shipped in the first place but man, they have to protect themselves better than that. Leave my $100 pedal at the doorstep great, but a Private Stock PRS? No way!

With both UPS and FedEx, i usually opt for the "hold for pick up at facility" option and get the guitar myself. Have done this for the last 5 guitars as I'd never want something of significant value left on the doorstep.