Marko Hietala Announces Departure from Nightwish

• Thread starter Sermo Lupi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
I don't follow or listen to Nightwish, but I thought this would be relevant news to some members here. Apparently long-time bassist Marko Hietala has announced that he will be departing the band, citing disillusionment with the music industry.

His statement is below:

For a quite a few years now I haven't been able to feel validated by this life. We have streaming company big guns demanding 9/5 work from artists of inspiration while unfairly sharing the profits. Even among the artists. We're the banana republic of the music industry. Biggest tour promoters squeeze percentages even from our own merchandise while paying dividends to Middle East. Apparently some theocrasies can take the money from the music that would get you beheaded or jailed there without appearing as hypocrites. Just a couple of examples here.

This past year forced me to stay home and think. And I found myself very disillusioned about these and a lot of things. I found out that I am in need of that validation. For me to write, sing and play, I need to find some new reasons and inspirations. 'My Walden' so to speak. And it's even in my book that I'm a chronic depressive. It's dangerous for me and the people around me, if I continue. Some of the thoughts a while back were dark. Don't worry, I'm fine. I have my two sons, a wife, the rest of the family, friends, a dog and lots of love.

And I don't think that I'll be gone for good.

Conspiracy is the word of the day. For the people who like them I need to say that my 55th birthday is now on 14th of Jan and I've certainly done my time for now. Blaming for instance Tuomas [Holopainen, NIGHTWISH keyboardist and main songwriter] is an insult to both him and my free thinking. This is a very sad thing to all of us too. Have a care please. But of course now we'll know, if some go there on purpose.

"There are a couple of things agreed on that I will do on 2021. Otherwise I kindly and with respect ask the media, bands, artists projects etc. to not ask me for anything within the next year. I have some reinventing to do. I hope to tell you about it on 2022. It's not a promise though.

I am so sorry about this.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Nightwish is coming around next year and I almost bought tickets, but they wanted $100 for a small arena that wasn't even in Boston; would've been even more bummed to see them without Marko, dude has always seemed like the heart of this band.

Sad to see him go, but thankful for everything he put out

FTB

Reaction score
squeeze percentages even from our own merchandise while paying dividends to Middle East.

This is really interesting. Does he mean that labels they're signed with are owned by Middle Eastern companies?

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is really interesting. Does he mean that labels they're signed with are owned by Middle Eastern companies?

Seen people speculating that he might be referring to LiveNation - who got a big shot of Saudi money a while ago (bought $500m in shares). He refuses to comment any more, so the chances of him clarifying are slim.

Boris_VTR

Reaction score
If I get this right, he is leaving because:
- money
- suicidal thougts

Is that right?

Regarding the money thing, I dont believe it gets any better/bigger for Finish metal band than being in the Nightwish. He'll be playing bars now for 50 people and I doubt his money situation will improve with this move.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
If I get this right, he is leaving because:
- money
- suicidal thougts

Is that right?

Regarding the money thing, I dont believe it gets any better/bigger for Finish metal band than being in the Nightwish. He'll be playing bars now for 50 people and I doubt his money situation will improve with this move.

I didn’t read it as him saying he couldn’t make a living. More like, the music/tech industry just asking for more and more, unequal distribution of profits, and some moral qualms about where those profits are going (Middle East, presumably Saudi/UAE investors).

FTB

Reaction score
Seen people speculating that he might be referring to LiveNation - who got a big shot of Saudi money a while ago (bought $500m in shares). He refuses to comment any more, so the chances of him clarifying are slim.

I had to look up who they were. Their owners are a typical corporate buy-everything cancer on the worldwide music/performance industry. If it's what Marko is referring to, I'm not at all surprised.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
He sounds burnt out and the pandemic gave him time to really think. The guy is 55 years old next week!

Marco has been a huge part of Nightwish since he joined on Century Child and has a big Discography with bands like Tarot, Sinergy and Northern Kings. He’s also a producer and has worked with bands like Amorphis. He’d have royalties coming in from so many areas and will still be able to do various studio/music work.

I don’t want to put a further downer on things but this is only the beginning. Countless musicians and bands are going to call it quits this year. With dwindling money from sales/streaming and no touring smaller acts arent going to recover and it looks like bigger bands aren’t going to want to get back touring after a year plus with their families.

Dyingsea

Reaction score
He was a major part of their sound and a central figure in the band even though Thuomas always seems to get most of the credit. Will be interesting to see how it plays out as they are down to two original members now.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Hope he sorts himself out and finds some enjoyment in life. That said, his solo vocal tracks on Nightwish albums were always an easy skip for me.

georg_f

Reaction score
I think he's the most awesome metal singer in Finland.

Replacing him is impossible.

Well, Nightwish fans are used to the band not being all original members, so I guess they'll be able to accept whoever will take over bass and vocals.
But nobody will have such an awesome voice, hair and beard.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Jesper who was the other guitarist on the first Sinergy album has also retired but just from touring.

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Bump. The new (session) bassist is Jukka of Wintersun.

https://twitter.com/NightwishBand/status/1398327279638528000

E2fP7RHWQAIAfgN

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Not like he wouldn't have time with all those shows Wintersun doesn't play, right?

edit: fuck man, looking at the photo, are Emppu and Tuomas really the only two original members left?

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Kai the drummer is also ex-Wintersun. Jukka was in Norther and Cains Offering so he has the experience to play with Nightwish. What a gig to get!

Is he singing too?