Marty Friedman alleges Guitar World misrepresented his statement that 'I hope the traditional guitar solo dies a slow and painful death'

• Thread starter Sermo Lupi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
If someone misrepresents you in the morning, you got misrepresented; if you get misrepresented every time you speak, you're the...er....you're....the.... one who's...erm....saying the things. Probably.

B.M.F.

Blasphemy Made Flesh
Contributor
Reaction score
Such a strange controversy, couldn’t have involved two nicer guys, I mean it. It’s so weird.

Marty’s always been a bit of a dry humorous firecracker who occasionally puts his foot (hook?) in mouth… anyone who seen his instructional videos knows what I mean.

Remember the one where he explains an amp’s gain knob is really a “chick repellent control”? Because “the more you turn it up, the less ladies you’ll have sticking around to want to listen” 🤣 .

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score

Look, I respect the hell out of Steve Vai. He's an incredible player and seems like a genuinely nice dude. I played through a Legacy II for a good long while, truly fantastic amplifier.

But his music is goofier than a parade of clown cars crashing into a squeaky toy factory.

tedtan

Reaction score
Backed. The only thing worse is a whammy bar. Actually there are two things worse- a whammy bar, and both at the same time.
It’s one thing to be wrong,

Look, I respect the hell out of Steve Vai. He's an incredible player and seems like a genuinely nice dude. I played through a Legacy II for a good long while, truly fantastic amplifier.

But his music is goofier than a parade of clown cars crashing into a squeaky toy factory.
But this is some Trump level delusion. GTFO with that shit. :facepalm: :nuts::fawk:

Concerto412

Aeternae Sonus
Reaction score
IMG_3212.jpeg

For my part, I’ll admit that while I fucking love both whammy and wah employed in particular styles (and often by specific users) they are two techniques (effects?) that can be overused, and can sound downright shit if the player hasn’t put some time into mastering the dynamics.
As for Vai, different strokes. Don’t want him hanging out at your house? Send him to mine :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_3212.jpeg
    IMG_3212.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 1

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
“Usually, the lead guitarist comes in, gets an eight-bar solo, plays a bunch of stupid licks, maybe adds something hot and fancy that will impress, and then they get out."

I mean, I get what he means. That's pretty much my whole soloing technique, just sometimes add in that cocked open wah sound where you leave the pedal down instead of Kirk Hammeting it.

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
Marty Friedman is the Tim Henson of 80s shred guitarists. I'm very sure he's just fucking around with his interviewers with his absurd statements much like Tim's "boomer bends" and "metal isn't cool" comments.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Marty f'it up again, episode 152.
Still love him nonetheless
I learnt long time ago to love what comes out of guitarists' hands and not from their mouth

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I don't know how this ran for so long. Guitar World posted it and an hour later Marty disputed it on Facebook. How did it take the guitar media/community 12 days to find out.

Also isn't that quote a joke made by Tim Henson a few years ago. No wonder Marty is baffled by it.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
I don't know how this ran for so long. Guitar World posted it and an hour later Marty disputed it on Facebook. How did it take the guitar media/community 12 days to find out.

Also isn't that quote a joke made by Tim Henson a few years ago. No wonder Marty is baffled by it.

The GW article was posted January 31st. Ola initially covered it in passing in one of his Sunday videos on February 4th, which led to Marty Friedman reaching out to Ola to do an interview on his next Sunday video on Feb 11th. Friedman made some outlandish claims in that interview that apparently didn't hold up under scrutiny, so Ola pulled the interview and reuploaded Feb 13th, which is when this thread was posted.

I haven't been actively looking, but so far as I know, no further info has come out about this.