Matrix Resurrections....

• Thread starter Rev2010
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I hated it as did all my friends. This movie simply didn't need to be made. Jumbled nonsense story, long bouts of boring diatribe, too much redone from the original, action/fight scenes done shaky fast pan camera style so you can't tell wth is happening, etc.

What did y'all think?

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
I thought it was boring and pointless. It was a like a terrible remake of the first with none of the things that made it special. Some of the fight choreography was really bad too, like they either accidentally left a few bad cuts in, or didn’t have enough material and just hoped no one would notice. Just awkward lazy fighting motions overall.

I thought Neil Patrick Harris was the only developed character in the entire film. At no point did I learn anything about the new characters or get invested into what happens to them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adieu

Reaction score
It was bad. But it might have been so bad it was good.

here’s the thing…the wachowskis…might actually not be all that good at directing movies.

How did you not realize this from the first one?

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How did you not realize this from the first one?

eh I just rewatched the first one a little while ago. I think that movie still holds up. They pioneered a lot of stuff that hadn't been done before...and that movie is basically a straight rip of one of my favorite comics of all time. So I thin that movie gets a pass.

It made a boatload of money too...and they rode that goodwill all the way too....ummm Jupiter Ascending? oof.

Andii

Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
I was thoroughly entertained while I was watching it. My expectations for the story were realllllllll low and it matched what I got. I knew exactly how it was going to be and accepted it going in.

My coolness with how it was has a lot to do with that fact that I did not get in a car and drive to a theater and pay money to see it. I already had a HBO subscription and didn't leave the house.

I would not recommend anyone pay money or go to a theater for it.

I think it didn't take itself seriously and was kinda fun, but imagine that same budget and special effects with an original and compelling story. It's bothersome because of how much potential was wasted.

The ridiculous nostalgia and repeated story line gave me real The Force Awakens flashbacks. However I will say that it wasn't actually as bad as that because it at least didn't shit all over the characters and completely change their personalities and characteristics.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I did not get in a car and drive to a theater and pay money to see it. I already had a HBO subscription and didn't leave the house.

Same here, watched it with two friends at my house via HBO Max. Nice quality Sony 4K 55" screen, 5.1 surround sound. Also had very low expectations as I'd seen a number of audience reviews. Still hated it.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
The Matrix Awakens video game concept looks really high quality at least. The Unreal Engine 5 seems like a big leap forward in realism. I don’t know if they actually plan on developing a full game, but hopefully they could get different writers for the storyline:lol:

Andii

Reaction score
Same here, watched it with two friends at my house via HBO Max. Nice quality Sony 4K 55" screen, 5.1 surround sound. Also had very low expectations as I'd seen a number of audience reviews. Still hated it.
Even though our experiences were different. I completely understand why. The movie was overall very goodn't.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Matrix Awakens video game concept looks really high quality at least. The Unreal Engine 5 seems like a big leap forward in realism. I don’t know if they actually plan on developing a full game, but hopefully they could get different writers for the storyline:lol:

unreal 5 is next level. It take full rez film assets and not choke. (full rez film assets are way way heavier than game assets were with unreal 4)

It's not too far into the distant future I think where film will be moving to real time engines. We're just now starting to see a peak of the horizon of it so to speak. Unreal 5 still has a ways to go for being able to handle full rez FX simulations, but environments and lighting are getting pretty sick.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
We're already seeing it being utilized for TV, with the Mandalorian making heavy use of it; I'd be shocked if film wasn't already using it as well

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Had you guys recently watched the first 3? I know the original Matrix by heart, but haven’t watched (and don’t remember) the second one in forever. And I never bothered with the 3rd, because I didn’t like the second. I’m wondering if I would have enjoyed this one more had I recently watched all 3.

I didn’t like this at all. It had some cool elements, and I guess I did like the overall idea of the movie, but man, what a disappointment. One of the things that bugged me the most is that it was expected that we knew some of the esoteric information from the first 3 movies, but then they beat us over the head with the obvious stuff, like the white rabbit tattoo, the Jefferson Airplane song, the black cat named Deja Vu. It’s like the movie didn’t know if it’s audience were people vaguely familiar with the trilogy or hardcore fans.

And it’s always tough to pull off a love story in the middle of a high tension movie. The first one did it well. This one did not.

Andii

Reaction score
Had you guys recently watched the first 3? I know the original Matrix by heart, but haven’t watched (and don’t remember) the second one in forever. And I never bothered with the 3rd, because I didn’t like the second. I’m wondering if I would have enjoyed this one more had I recently watched all 3.
The the 3rd film and its ending always made me feel like they were making it up as they went along. Things escalated until there was no where left to go.

They did write it out of that corner that seemed completely incoherent and made it work. So you're missing that.

They could have had the corner written out of the same exact way and then just moved on into an original story that had no other parallels or repeats and I think it could have been much better.

There was a lot shark jumping in this thing so far as the same thing again aspect of it. Two returning characters shouldn't have been there. Bugs' story line would have been sufficient for getting that corner written out of and then the plot could have just gone somewhere new.

I think something that was interesting about it was when the movie referenced Warner Brothers and said something about "We're going to make a new one with or without you" and all of that. The scene in the corporate board room.

It makes me wonder about what was going on behind the scenes and why one of the Wachowski's were not involved. Is the self awareness in the film a form of protest?

It followed the Star Wars The Force Awakens formula of here's all of your favorite characters, and here is the new version of some characters. Here is a plotline that's a repetition of the past. It stinks of something that was created in board room.

That's one of the things that fascinated me the most about this one. It really followed that same formula, but had a suspicious level of self awareness that looked maybe more than an excuse.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
The the 3rd film and its ending always made me feel like they were making it up as they went along. Things escalated until there was no where left to go.

They did write it out of that corner that seemed completely incoherent and made it work. So you're missing that.

They could have had the corner written out of the same exact way and then just moved on into an original story that had no other parallels or repeats and I think it could have been much better.

There was a lot shark jumping in this thing so far as the same thing again aspect of it. Two returning characters shouldn't have been there. Bugs' story line would have been sufficient for getting that corner written out of and then the plot could have just gone somewhere new.

I think something that was interesting about it was when the movie referenced Warner Brothers and said something about "We're going to make a new one with or without you" and all of that. The scene in the corporate board room.

It makes me wonder about what was going on behind the scenes and why one of the Wachowski's were not involved. Is the self awareness in the film a form of protest?

It followed the Star Wars The Force Awakens formula of here's all of your favorite characters, and here is the new version of some characters. Here is a plotline that's a repetition of the past. It stinks of something that was created in board room.

That's one of the things that fascinated me the most about this one. It really followed that same formula, but had a suspicious level of self awareness that looked maybe more than an excuse.
Yeah, in fact the Deus Machina name they used in this movie felt to me like a Deus Ex Machina thing about how they were just phoning it in on plot. I'm not entirely sure if that was not the intention, or if it partly was, because of the obvious Warner Bros stuff you pointed out.

I WILL say that Keanu Reeves and Carrie Anne Moss look shockingly good for late and early 50s. I look wose than that, and I'm younger than both of them, lol.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score

I've been a tremendous Matrix fan since the first movie, so yes I saw all three. I'm against the audience grain here as I originally disliked the 2nd movie for numerous reasons yet I really liked the 3rd film. I can't get why so sooo many people despise it. But yeah I've seen them all fairly recently as I've had the blu-ray box set then got the 4K Blu-rays when they came out.

And yes they do look good for their age, but remember they are rich and can go further than most to take good care of themselves. :)

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I've been a tremendous Matrix fan since the first movie, so yes I saw all three. I'm against the audience grain here as I originally disliked the 2nd movie for numerous reasons yet I really liked the 3rd film. I can't get why so sooo many people despise it. But yeah I've seen them all fairly recently as I've had the blu-ray box set then got the 4K Blu-rays when they came out.

And yes they do look good for their age, but remember they are rich and can go further than most to take good care of themselves. :)
OK, well then I'm going to check out the 3rd movie. I wasn't super impressed with the 2nd. But I didn't hate it, per se. So maybe I'll like the 3rd.