Mayones sent me pic of Macassar Ebony top

• Thread starter leonardo7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
So this is the darkest piece of Macassar Ebony they have for a Regius top right now. Ive got it all spec'd out with 11 piece wenge/mahogany/paduak/maple neck and chambered sapele mahogany body. Its going to have ABM Piezo bridge and dark ebony fretboard with dot inlays.

Question is Im confused whether I should have this top glossed to really pop and have that striking glossy wet look at all times, or if I should give it the Mayones satin touch which will give it the dull appearance. The entire rest of the body will be satin natural finish for sure, this is just the top Im talking about. So what would you guys do with the top? And what do you think of this particular top for a Regius 7? Remember that once oiled or glossed it will have a much darker and more striking appearance, especially with the gloss. :hbang:

ebonytop.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

celticelk

Reaction score
Personally, I think gloss tops over natural wood look ridiculous - it just looks like you coated the whole thing in plastic. Totally destroys the appeal of the beautiful wood top that you shelled out $$$ for. But hey, it's your guitar.

FrancescoFiligoi

Guitarist in Within Destruction / Abiogenesis
Reaction score
I don't like exotic wood tops with gloss finishes, at all. To my taste, all oiled would be best!

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
^^^THAT

Plus Macassar Ebony has a lovely texture, it'd be such a shame to gloss over that.

AVWIII

Pope of Chilitown
Reaction score
Please, please satin.
Obviously this is my opinion, but it always feels like a waste of exotic woods to cover it in gloss. With awesome wood like that, I would even want an oiled finish oil so I could actually feel it. Gloss reminds me of a coffee table.
But I'm sure it'd look cool either way.

mountainjam

Reaction score
Ide go for an oiled finish. High gloss looks great until it has fingerprints and sweat marks all over it.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
I have a Regius 8 with flamed top and oiled satin finish, it pops in the light but looks dull and matte at most times from a distance.

I have a Regius 7 with flamed top glossed and it pops even when theres no light on it.

Another thing for me to consider is that the satin top doesnt take well to scratches such as pick scratches and dents super duper easy, as to be expected on such a gorgeous satin finish. The Mayones gloss finish is tough and wont chip or dent esily, and wont scratch up to picking.

I will be sure and update this thread if I get any updated pics from Mayones. I do think that a majority of the building will take place in August though as they are off for the month of July.

For anyone ever considering the Mayones satin finish, its absolutely silky to the touch and maintains a non sticky oily feel. Quite incredible!

Im leaning towards gloss on the top this time.

Churchie777

Reaction score
I'm keeping my Macassar neck satin but thats cos gloss necks suck so much roosters, but f i had it for a top definitely gloss it