Megadeth parts ways with Ellefson

• Thread starter straymond
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
I honestly feel bad for Ellefson. It sounds like he was targeted with the release of this information. I'm really curious to know the details on this strained relationship where this incident was the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't feel this specific incident is enough to warrant being fired. Dave has certainly done his fair share of bad things over the years, and the only difference is, he wasn't caught and/or tar and feathered publicly. Part of me feels this is Mega Dave being his typical hypocritical, egotistical self, but the whole bit about the strained relationship is the only part where I'm saying, "Okay, maybe there's more than meets the eye here."

Nonapod

Reaction score
I mean I'm not really surprised given they're being open about the "strained" relationship. For the passed few years Mustaine made it sound like Ellefson was just a hired hand.

My understanding is that is pretty much what he was ever since he rejoined back in 2010. I believe he lost his portion of ownership after Mustaine broke up the band back in 2003, and Junior sued over supposed owed royalties or something? I seem to recall Ellefson pretty much admitting as much a while back. It's sort of sad to see Mustaine not support him since I don't believe Ellefson did anything really unforgivable, but it was obviously purely a business relationship, no love lost. And now Mustaine can just recruite some other hired gun and not have to pay as much as well.

VGK17

Reaction score
I'm really curious to know the details on this strained relationship where this incident was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Yeah there's something else going on. Junior has been promoting the hell out of Megadeth and the new album for more than the past year and he was constantly talking and posting about the band when Mustaine was sick. People also seem to be skipping over the fact that someone purposefully targeted both Junior and the woman involved for online harassment by leaking private content.

sleewell

Reaction score
Considering they still outsell pretty much everyone in modern metal bar Metallica, I would say lots of people.

Such an elitist comment.

Yeah no. Just bc I don't give a shit about the TMZ type drama and can spot when a band needs a better singer does not make me an elitist. Justin Bieber sells a lot of concert tickets too btw, doesnt make you an elitist if you dont care about the latest tabloid story about him.

neurosis

Reaction score
To me this firing falls in line with the trend many businesses are following. If you have a public profile and depend on that audience the default nowadays is to protect the stability of that relationship. Mustaine is preparing to launch the new album cycle post pandemic with new endorsement deals, etc... he's not going to let any controversy fester among his public or draw negative interest from sponsors, potential vendors, venue reps and owners etc. As honest as Eleffson's initial statement was you can see this still being discussed, which is bad PR at the tail of the MeToo movement. Mustaine as a business owner knows separation is important. Not the same case but look how quickly Manson dismissed Twiggy after his accusation. Then Manson got fired last year. These are high profile brands in entertainment. They grow big crowds and they understand the audience chit-chats so they do damage control where they think it will save them the headaches and possible jeopardizing of the hard work it takes to put an album together.

I don't see this as Mustaine being a dick. It doesn't surprise me in the least. The guy lives and breathes Megadeth. He's not going to let anybody get in the way.

Two me the statement on the strain reads as a defensive one. He made peace with he guy before. Deep down there must be some appreciation for each other. I suspect we'll see them together again at some point. It takes time.

I'll also say it's interesting how we make these archetypes of who these musicians are. I don't really know much more about Elefsson than I know about Mustaine. And I think we all judge Mustaine based on the bravado and other nonsense we see on tape, while the others might be the same or worse just not so widely featured as being the same. For all I know they could all be assholes :D I just really like their music. I think Mustaine is an awesome writer. I just wish he sang a little better live.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
Yeah no. Just bc I don't give a shit about the TMZ type drama and can spot when a band needs a better singer does not make me an elitist. Justin Bieber sells a lot of concert tickets too btw, doesnt make you an elitist if you dont care about the latest tabloid story about him.

We're not in the thread regurgitating the TMZ bullshit, we're in the thread talking about the fact he was fired from the band.

Lots of people care about that and to think otherwise is just elitist posturing.

NeglectedField

Reaction score
In a way this is an act of mercy for Ellefson. The embarrassment would've followed him everywhere.

I know this isn't relevant to grooming and the ethical conversation (but relevant to a guitar forum) but I wonder how much longer Jackson are gonna keep selling his signature basses. And also will people still want to buy/own them?

Demiurge

Reaction score
I know this isn't relevant to grooming and the ethical conversation (but relevant to a guitar forum) but I wonder how much longer Jackson are gonna keep selling his signature basses. And also will people still want to buy/own them?

I imagine that the end of his membership in Megadeth is probably a bigger concern than his "scandal" and that it will be discontinued. Nevertheless, I'd recommend having SafeSearch set to ON to any bargain shopper Googling "David Ellefson blowout".

Status
Not open for further replies.