Mesa Dual Rectifier Heads ...

• Thread starter RockerAlex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
So I was gonna go ahead and grab myself a used Dual Recto head when a thought crossed my mind ...

This head will be a good few years old, and I was wondering have Mesa changed anything between then and now that would make any sort of noticable difference, i.e. fixed design flaws, changed circuitry, tubes etc?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There have been a few Dual Recs in the course of the last decade or two. If you post info about the one you're looking to grab I'm sure someone could shed some light on that particular version.

You should take some time to search the site as well.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
There have been a few Dual Recs in the course of the last decade or two. If you post info about the one you're looking to grab I'm sure someone could shed some light on that particular version.

You should take some time to search the site as well.

All I know is that it's a Dual Recitifier Solo Head and has a diamond front plate thing.

I would, but I'm not even sure what to search for as I don't know too much about either tube amps or this particular amp. :/

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All I know is that it's a Dual Recitifier Solo Head and has a diamond front plate thing.

I would, but I'm not even sure what to search for as I don't know too much about either tube amps or this particular amp. :/

E-mail/call/text/whatever the seller and ask some questions. The fact you know so little about the amp is a little disconcerting.

Try "mesa dual rectifier versions" or "types of mesa dual rectifier" in Google. Also, it wouldn't hurt to actually contact Mesa and ask what the actual differences are between the various Rectos.

The more you know, the better decisions you'll make. :yesway:

pathos45

Reaction score
is it two channel or 3 channels? it def wont have the multi watt feature thats on the new rectos, and im pretty sure something about the new rectos sounding similar to the old 2 channel ones which many many people want just for the tone you get from it.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
is it two channel or 3 channels? it def wont have the multi watt feature thats on the new rectos, and im pretty sure something about the new rectos sounding similar to the old 2 channel ones which many many people want just for the tone you get from it.

3 channels.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Basically, there's:
Pre-500 Rectos - 2 channels, small recto logo, some blackface, apparently the best recto ever (remains to be seen...). Whether you think that or not, these and the other 2CH rectos are sweeter and more fluid than the 3CH, much fatter in the low end. Most of the old Nu-Metal records that had that 'recto-tone' will probably refer to a 2CH.
Average 2CH Recto - Apparently different to the very first run, but still, sweeter, darker and slightly tighter sounding than the 3CH
3 Channel - There are a couple of revisions of this, as with the 2CH, apparently they change slightly between revisions, but in general they're fizzier and brighter than the 2CH. A lot of people seem to write the average three channel off, but a great deal of these people have never compared the two. The 3CH head is still a great amp, it just works differently and needs to be treated as such.
Multi-Watt 3CH - These are a 'best of' or tribute recto really, lol, they can do the fatter darker 2CH stuff (though they still aren't as fluid IMO) but have that dark BOOM that the 3CH's were so good at. Turned down to 50W they also get that amazing cranked recto sound at much more sensible volumes. Still loud though :lol:

Hope this helps a touch. I'm a little foggy on the 2CH/Pre-500 stuff, maybe someone a little more in the know can deal with that more clearly.

People seem to argue whether it's pre 500 or pre 5000 too, which is to do with the serial number. As I said, I'll let someone clear that up :lol:

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Basically, there's:
Pre-500 Rectos - 2 channels, small recto logo, some blackface, apparently the best recto ever (remains to be seen...). Whether you think that or not, these and the other 2CH rectos are sweeter and more fluid than the 3CH, much fatter in the low end. Most of the old Nu-Metal records that had that 'recto-tone' will probably refer to a 2CH.
Average 2CH Recto - Apparently different to the very first run, but still, sweeter, darker and slightly tighter sounding than the 3CH
3 Channel - There are a couple of revisions of this, as with the 2CH, apparently they change slightly between revisions, but in general they're fizzier and brighter than the 2CH. A lot of people seem to write the average three channel off, but a great deal of these people have never compared the two. The 3CH head is still a great amp, it just works differently and needs to be treated as such.
Multi-Watt 3CH - These are a 'best of' or tribute recto really, lol, they can do the fatter darker 2CH stuff (though they still aren't as fluid IMO) but have that dark BOOM that the 3CH's were so good at. Turned down to 50W they also get that amazing cranked recto sound at much more sensible volumes. Still loud though :lol:

Hope this helps a touch. I'm a little foggy on the 2CH/Pre-500 stuff, maybe someone a little more in the know can deal with that more clearly.

People seem to argue whether it's pre 500 or pre 5000 too, which is to do with the serial number. As I said, I'll let someone clear that up :lol:

Thanks for the info bro ... I think it's a multiwatt 3 channel Recto, which is good enough for me. The only competition in my eyes was the 5150, and after listening to clips and reading until my head hurts ... I'm pretty sure it's not for me. I heard cleans were really bad and you needed to either switch tubes or buy pedals to make it worth a shit which I just cannot be assed with. I'm reading that for a wider range of styles and sounds and the darker tone I love, I'd be better with Mesa ... so here goes!

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Dude, if it's a multi-watt recto you're onto a real winner, they're amazing heads. Only been available just over a year.

Peavy 5150 cleans are shit. Everyone says the 2 has better cleans but they really aren't. The 3CH recto had farily terrible cleans, I used a compressor with mine and that made a massive difference, the multi-watt on the other hand has great cleans, slightly Bassman-esque.

Shadowspecced

Reaction score
Basically, there's:

Hey! it's most definitely pre 500, I think the last serial number was 504? I could be wrong.

I played one in a guitar center once, they weren't selling it, but somebody has his there. It's not really a recto.

EDIT: Also the 2 channel has atrocious cleans

It sounds more like a soldano, mixed with a marshall. not much like a recto at all, you can kind of tell here.

It's really a matter of preference, as it's barely the same amp as a regular 2 channel recto, and even less like one of the 3 channels. Hard to argue it's the 'best recto' by any stretch.

I have a 2 channel, an early one, serial number is in the one thousands, and yes, more low end, much sweeter sounding, slightly tighter, warmer, and MY personal favorite recto.

They're all different though, just clarifying the pre 500 info, everything else was pretty correct

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Head over to the mesa forums for all info :yesway:

Dvaienat

Reaction score
Regarding the 2 Channel differences previously mentioned by Fun111, I'll sum them up:

Rev A and B were never released to the public. Rev C and D both have the Pre-500 circuit.

There were a couple of different 'regular' 2 Channel revisions.Rev E is said to sound exactly the same as a Pre-500, though does not have the MKIII transformer IIRC. Rev F was next, and sounds somewhere between the Rev C/D/E and Rev G.

Rev G was the next one introduced in 1994, and had bigger logos. These were produced up to 2001, and all have the same circuit. These are the 'standard' 2 Channels people refer to.

Up to and including the Rev F, they are said to be voiced more classic, and have less of the 'fizz' that Rectifiers are known for.

RockerAlex

Reaction score

I asked this dude what amp he was using and he said Dual Recto 3 channel.

I'm sold tbh, I understand there's a certain amount of post processing going on ... but comparing the sound of that video and his 5150 one, I like the Mesa far better.

Moolaka

Reaction score
I have an 02, I read somewhere that Mesa changed the factory bias at one point (I think '05).

RockerAlex

Reaction score
So between a 2 channel (R-010087) and a 3 channel (multiwatt version) what should I go for?

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I'd go Multi-Watt, you get all the goodness from the 2CH in a more modern voice without the fizzy pitfalls of the older 3CH. I always use my Roadster in 50W mode too, so I can attest to the usefulness of that.

Seriously, even when playing flat out in a really heavy metal, drop C setting I use 50W mode. If you find you do this a lot, it's worth swapping the inner and outer pairs of 6l6's round every now and again to get even wear.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Peavey 5150 cleans are shit. Everyone says the 2 has better cleans but they really aren't. The 3CH recto had farily terrible cleans,

Truth - I picked up the 6505+ expecting better cleans - not really. Still bland as hell - no life to them at all. Just got a 2channel Dual Rec Rev G - Cleans are 10x better. I like the amp in general much better, just more up my alley tonewise, especially on spongy mode

Status
Not open for further replies.