Metallica: 72 Seasons

• Thread starter Bloody_Inferno
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Absolutely because they still sell out arenas. That has always been the game. It doesn't matter what your music sounds like, it's about how many butts you can put in the seats.
I'm talking about an alternate timeline where this is their first album

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jahosy

Reaction score
'Room of Mirrors' is definitely the stand out track for me.

'If Darkness...' is a close second.

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That said I’m glad that Metallica is still touring and producing new music since they are already super wealthy and could easily afford to retire in luxury. They along with Iron Maiden and Slayer are bands that motivated me to learn to play guitar in the first place.

LCW

Reaction score
Let's talk tone shall we...

Any thoughts on what amps (or Axe FX amp models) they used for recording 72 Seasons? Doesn't sound Mesa Mark IIC+ much. More modded Marshall style... They've (James) used Wizards before and James seems to dig a Dual Recto when they play those small secret shows. Kirk seems to always use something different... Randalls in the past... not sure lately.

LCW

Reaction score
Hot take but I'm really liking it so far lol. Better than hardwired and way better than death magnetic

Bro you changed your avatar... it's throwing me off lol... I know it wasn't, but whenever I saw it I thought 'Kim Thayil avatar guy'.... lol

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Any thoughts on what amps (or Axe FX amp models) they used for recording 72 Seasons? Doesn't sound Mesa Mark IIC+ much. More modded Marshall style... They've (James) used Wizards before and James seems to dig a Dual Recto when they play those small secret shows. Kirk seems to always use something different... Randalls in the past... not sure lately.

definitely sounds more Marshall than Mesa tones for sure. Wizard or Diezel VH4 would be my guess. I get my Marshall and SLO fix from my Mezzabarba MZero amp.

Reactions: LCW

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Live are they all axe FX?

At least they were some time ago, and IMHO when they changed to that their live tone improved a lot. Could be some hybrid setup these day though, since that's what everyone's doing now...

zappatton2

Reaction score
Picked up the album today, made a day trip of it down to the local record shop. I like it, gives me sort of a groove rock vibe. In my humble opinion, I think they could have knocked off a couple of tracks, shortened a couple more, and had a better album, but I've felt that way about every disc since Load. Still enjoy it though.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

If I recall they broke out a Jose Marshall for the album... seem to recall seeing an article that said that recently

Reactions: LCW

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the last 2 albums have been a mix of IIC+ and WIzard amps. But they own so many amps and use so many in the studio that it's hard to pinpoint.

I know is the sound has been pretty consistent since Death Magnetic and the main amps have been IIC+ and Wizard MCs since then.
At least they were some time ago, and IMHO when they changed to that their live tone improved a lot. Could be some hybrid setup these day though, since that's what everyone's doing now...
I think its still Axe IIIs live. They seem to be firm believers in them.

VGK17

Reaction score
Not sure how old you are or where you were located, but having lived through those days thrash really wasn't some anti-mainstream underground thing. I mean maybe when Kill 'Em All came out but after that everybody I knew was listening to thrash alongside hair metal etc and it was all on MTV.
The 80s when thrash started absolutely was anti mainstream. It wasn't until the 90s when you really started seeing heavier bands on MTV and only on Headbanger's Ball.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm gonna be fifty this year and remember when thrash was nothing. Justice era, when Metallica started drawing bigger crowds, MTV started letting the tiniest shred of thrash off the leash. Headbanger's Ball was "our" time, and eventually even that relegated the real thrashers to "the Triple Thrash Threat," which was three thrash songs in a row. The rest of the time it was shit like Alice Cooper, Poison, Faster Pussycat, and all the other glam you would expect MTV to be tossing on the air all day every day anyway. The number of bro-scussions that broke down into, "WHY EVEN HAVE A HEADBANGER'S BALL, YOU PUSSIES!" during those shows was astronomical.

There was a real queasy feeling for some of us that actually followed Metallica during the Load era, when they went from the band that constantly made fun of the pop sensations, to being a pop sensation themselves.

I'm old enough now to see it was just a band that was ready to do something different. I didn't care for it, and still don't for the most part, but man we had some times together back in the day. Now it's like an old girlfriend where I get a nostalgic tear in the eye about what was, but don't regret stepping away because life is what it is for us.

I'm glad Metallica is doing what they do yet. I don't dig most of it, but I'm certainly not gonna rage boner over it. I got that out of my system a long, long time ago. Let 'em do what they do. I can't imagine saying they should just stop. Are they tarnishing their legacy? No. That legacy will stand forever. The throwaway albums they produce now may not, but some day I expect the first four will still be held in high regard within the metal realm, if it still exists in any form.

Let the old bros do their thing. Ain't hurtin' anybody, and some people are still enjoying it. As long as they can still fill arenas? *SHRUG*

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
James said in an interview that a big part of the guitar sounds are a Jose odder Marshall:

I listened to the album today — it reminded me of the new Megadeth album, sound wise. I didn’t find many inspiring riffs, unlike Spit out the Bone. I also very much like Death Magnetic and of course their early stuff, including the Black album. I do have tix to see them in Detroit both nights.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

drool1419

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Good for them! Glad they're still enjoying themselves. My two favorite Metallica albums are Ride the Lightning and St Anger, so I'm sure James is scrolling right now to find what I think of the album 🙂

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Of my amps the 2c+ mode on my mark v and mezzabarba MZero get me closest to thrash metal tones.

Latest posts