Most overrated player

• Thread starter Metal-Box
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Workhorse

Reaction score
I'm gonna second Dimebag. He was a solid player, but I think the main reason he gets so much recognition is because he died young, much like Kurt Cobain.

Tosin Abasi deserves all the recognition he gets because he's seriously just amazing.

I respect your opinion but:

1. He wrote some of the most memorable riffs in the history of rock.
2. He had a very unique style of playing, from 1992 onward no one sounded like him.
3. Ever try playing his solos? His very own (yet again) and some classic solos as well - they're a pain to cover but great to listen to.
4. Kurt Cobain gets attention because he looks pretty, like bubble gum wrap.

Seriously, I don't see how Dimebag is overrated, he's an immensely influential player, very well rounded.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Workhorse

Reaction score
I'll go on a limb and disagree with almost everyone, I don't think any guitarist is overrated - they excel at something and deserve the attention they get.

JayFraser

Reaction score
I can't specifically name a guitarist who is 'over-rated' in that, he is rated more highly than he should be. How good one guitarist is musically is 100% opinion. However, I can think of a number of guitarists who are rated highly at the expense of other players who never get recognised as a result of being overshadowed.

And the big ones for this are EVH, Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they suck or anything, I'm just saying that people are so stuck in their hero-worship that, oftentimes, they forget other guitarists exist.

Draceius

I hate everyone on this site
Reaction score
Pretty much any female guitarist in the eyes of the young male fanbase, I'm not trying to discredit them, but you only have to read youtube comments to understand what I mean.

Datura

Reaction score
Pretty much any female guitarist in the eyes of the young male fanbase, I'm not trying to discredit them, but you only have to read youtube comments to understand what I mean.

Was going to say the same thing.

devolutionary

No longer 7-less
Reaction score
Vai. I can respect his technical prowess and chops, but I personally have never heard anything from him that I can personally connect with as a piece, song, or otherwise. He may as well be a super-fast, well-programmed synth to me - well organised, extensively proficient, but just lacking in anything I can find truly worthy of the levels of praise he receives.

Draceius

I hate everyone on this site
Reaction score
Vai. I can respect his technical prowess and chops, but I personally have never heard anything from him that I can personally connect with as a piece, song, or otherwise. He may as well be a super-fast, well-programmed synth to me - well organised, extensively proficient, but just lacking in anything I can find truly worthy of the levels of praise he receives.

Just because you picked at "super fast", I suggest at least giving "For the love of god" a listen if you haven't, though I can totally understand not being able to get into his music.

sojourner

Reaction score

Except Jess Lewis & Emily Remler

Kiwimetal101

'Tread Lightly'
Reaction score

This, never quite understood the hype.. I still somewhat respect and admire him though

kchay

Reaction score
I say that the guys in Metallica are. I mean, good riffs, when they were relevant IMO.
Uhhh Asking Alexandria big time.
Avenged Sevenfold.
Misha I'd also say, although I still can't play it hahaha.

breadtruck

Reaction score
I agree with Dime. Even though he was a fantastic player, I think his death makes some people think that he was a god and no one will ever be as good. When you look back in nostalgia then everything seems great.

I agree with Gates. Even though I'm a fan of their work I think the young fans of the band think he's the best because they haven't heard much other music like that. Avenged are like an entry level hard rock band so a lot of people will get introduced to them first and be blown away by the solos.

I agree with Misha. For some reason around these parts some people are queueing up to kiss his shoes :) I love Periphery but I feel like all the members are proficient and people should see it as a band effort and not a continuation of Misha's solo work.

Just to clarify I like all these guitarists and the bands they are/were in, I just see their names being praised a lot lot more than other great guitarists. SPREAD THE LOVE people :)

greendog86

Reaction score
i actually like misha's playing...
maybe his technique and ability is not over the top as some other guitar-heros,
but he dose have his very own unique style and tone, and he have
some very strong material. some really nice melodies and riffs and interesting songs structure... i think he deserves the credit for that.
confession-bear-photo-u1.jpg

if talking about overrated players ive never got the hype around Ola Englund...
yes he did manage to get his hands on some of the sexiest gear around but all of his demos sound basically the same imoo, the same generic
7-stringed riffs over and over again.
and i dont dig either feared or 6feetunder...

FarBeyondDriven16

Reaction score
i actually like misha's playing...
maybe his technique and ability is not over the top as some other guitar-heros,
but he dose have his very own unique style and tone, and he have
some very strong material. some really nice melodies and riffs and interesting songs structure... i think he deserves the credit for that.
confession-bear-photo-u1.jpg

if talking about overrated players ive never got the hype around Ola Englund...
yes he did manage to get his hands on some of the sexiest gear around but all of his demos sound basically the same imoo, the same generic
7-stringed riffs over and over again.
and i dont dig either feared or 6feetunder...

Ola is revered because he is an excellent producer, not because he has insane chops. Honestly speaking id say Michael Angelo Batio is the most overrated player.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Van Halen? No way. That guy was ridiculous in his day.
Not really when you have people like Uli Jon Roth, Richie Blackmore, Steve Morse, etc already out. He was overrated even when they 1st came out IMO. Everyone was like, ooh, ahh....Eruption is best thing evar. I'm like "thanks...can I go listen to some Rainbow (with Dio... R.I.P.)?"

Don't get me wrong...EVH is a good guitarist, but I still think he is overrated and that's b/c of the commercial success of the songs themselves, which took them to the general populace by their 1st single being a cover tune.
Just to clarify I like all these guitarists and the bands they are/were in, I just see their names being praised a lot lot more than other great guitarists. SPREAD THE LOVE people :)

tl;dr .... this^

drgamble

Reaction score
Wow, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Clapton who has been voted best guitarist in the world several times over. I like a lot of his music and think he is a good blues player, but almost everybody else that has been listed in this thread could play circles around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.