Most overrated player

• Thread starter Metal-Box
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Asking Alexandria have good guitar players... said no one ever haha :lol:
Including both of the guitarists themselves.

I think the point is being missed a lot in this thread.

People like Misha, The guys from Whitechapel, and the Asking Alexandria guys never really get praise on the large scale for their technique(okay, maybe Misha.), and none of them claim any level of virtuosity, nor do most of them consider themselves all that great.

IMO, David Shankle is overrated. Has an inflated ego, claims to be a virtuoso, while being incredibly sloppy. He doesn't get as much credit these days, but still.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Vai. I can respect his technical prowess and chops, but I personally have never heard anything from him that I can personally connect with as a piece, song, or otherwise. He may as well be a super-fast, well-programmed synth to me - well organised, extensively proficient, but just lacking in anything I can find truly worthy of the levels of praise he receives.

So I have a question. Alot of people say similar stuff about Vai. He's not a shred-demon. That's not the point to him. He makes his guitar since. Listening to Passion and Warfare made me pick up guitar. What songs are people listening to where the highlight is his "technical prowess and chops" it's always been about how much passion goes into his music. I'd love for someone to clear this up for me because it seems to be a common thing people say and it confuses the shit out of me.

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
Kirk Hammet. Sloppy technique and I don't find pentatonic scales and wah on every solo interesting. Also has a bad attitude.
Both of the dudes in BVB. I actually don't mind/enjoy some of Black Veil Bride's music as a whole, but their rockstar attitude, and the fact that they claim to be doing something unique and bringing metal back through their music is pretentious and inaccurate.
Jack White - I used to think he was overrated, especially when he was linked to the Edge and Jimmy Page. I don't consider him to be a "virtuoso", I do think his solo album is amazing and well written.
I can't think of anyone else right now...lolol

In regards to those saying Misha Mansoor, I think that his fanboys are the ones who claim him to be a virtuoso. He himself does not boast about his playing and frequently cites Jake Bowen and Mark Holcomb as being much better players than he is; Misha's prowess is in his songwriting and production skill, which, IMO, are infinitely more valuable. And say what you want, but if you don't consider Tosin Abasi to be one of the best guitarists alive at this moment, I think that you should watch him play.

Reaction score

Both are seriously accomplished rhythm players which is always overlooked. Whilst Schuldiner had great soloing capabilities, he wasn't a patch on Dimebag.

Objectively, there has been no-one to match him for his timing, control, melodic ear and outright passion for ripping it up on a guitar since he first burst onto the music scene.
I doubt very much that anyone will get to that level again in my lifetime.
im completely serious, iv got friends that are massive pantera and dime fans but his playing has never impressed me and his tone is absolute garbage. Chuck and Dime have both written a cool riff here and there but i still dont see why they are regarded so highly.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
Dimebag would tell you himself that he really only knows a few patterns when it comes to soloing. I think the credit he gets is because he was able to help usher in a heavier style of music during a time when metal just was not cool at all. He was the only guitarist in that band, and yet they had this huge sound. I don't buy that "he gets more credit because he died early," either. It's not like he died in the middle of Pantera's huge run; it was 3 years after they stopped playing.

Considering they were pretty much a glam metal band, albeit experimenting with heavier sounds as they progressed, until the late 80s I think there were other bands that did more for making metal cool than Pantera at that time. Dimebag was a good player, but there are countless players better than him IMO He's the person a lot of meathead metal guys cite as the pinnacle of a metal guitarist and that's just grossly inaccurate as far as I'm concerned. Also Pantera broke up in 2003, Damageplan was formed in 2004 and Dimebag was killed in 2004, definitely not 3 years after they stopped playing.

rikomaru

Reaction score
So I have a question. Alot of people say similar stuff about Vai. He's not a shred-demon. That's not the point to him. He makes his guitar since. Listening to Passion and Warfare made me pick up guitar. What songs are people listening to where the highlight is his "technical prowess and chops" it's always been about how much passion goes into his music. I'd love for someone to clear this up for me because it seems to be a common thing people say and it confuses the shit out of me.

maybe they shoot straight for uhh........well.........hm.....freak show excess?:scratch:

I don't know. I get the same response when i mention him anywhere. Sure, he can play fast, but you don't see peope having the same reaction when his eminence, Petrucci is mentioned. I usually recommend Tender Surrender, Windows To The Soul, and Bangkok/Fire Garden to the few who are actually willing to give it a legit shot though.

so umm......i'll say Segovia just to be against the grain :cool:and attract some real nerd rage lmfao

Curt

Reaction score
, but if you don't consider Tosin Abasi to be one of the best guitarists alive at this moment, I think that you should watch him play.

He may be one of the better in terms of technique, but most of his work does not interest me.

drgamble

Reaction score
The one thing all of these guitars players have in common is, that unlike most of the people on this forum, they were/are successful at what they do and actually make a living playing guitar. That has to count for something.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
The one thing all of these guitars players have in common is, that unlike most of the people on this forum, they were/are successful at what they do and actually make a living playing guitar. That has to count for something.

Absolutely, and more power to them for it :hbang:

This thread was only going to be a giant bitchfest from the start anyway.

Curt

Reaction score
FWIW, I respect pretty much all the guitarists that have managed any degree of success.

Except David Shankle, his cockbag personality irks me.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score

Yeah it counts for money in the pocket of the artist, record companies, investors and shareholders. Unfortunately we're not discussing earning potential, or your comment might have some merit, we're discussing artistic and technical accomplishment against perceived accomplishment. Justin Bieber makes a living from "singing", doesn't mean he is a talented singer in the slightest. "Making a living" from your music is only a sign of what enough people enjoy enough to pay for, it doesn't have anything to do with the ability of the artist.

Curt

Reaction score
Yeah it counts for money in the pocket of the artist, record companies, investors and shareholders. Unfortunately we're not discussing earning potential, or your comment might have some merit, we're discussing artistic and technical accomplishment against perceived accomplishment. Justin Bieber makes a living from "singing", doesn't mean he is a talented singer in the slightest. "Making a living" from your music is only a sign of what enough people enjoy enough to pay for, it doesn't have anything to do with the ability of the artist.

That's the thing, I like a fair share of music that is a far cry from being technically astounding, and feel like the focus should be shifted away from that a little.

Lickers

Destroyer of venues
Reaction score
im completely serious, iv got friends that are massive pantera and dime fans but his playing has never impressed me and his tone is absolute garbage. Chuck and Dime have both written a cool riff here and there but i still dont see why they are regarded so highly.

What difference is it if you have friends that are massive fans? It's your opinion that is involved in the discussion here.

Saying they wrote 'a cool riff here and there' is grossly naive by any stretch which serves to illustrate you're looking at this subjectively - not objectively.
You're entitled to your opinion as is everyone else here, but personal preference is rarely a true indicator of facts.

Granted, Death didn't have much commercial success but Pantera did.
They were regarded so highly because both were pioneers in their respective fields that heavily influenced the following generations of guitarists and will no doubt continue to influence for years to come. That's the true measure of success.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
That's the thing, I like a fair share of music that is a far cry from being technically astounding, and feel like the focus should be shifted away from that a little.

Same here, but you still get guitarists who have a low level of technical ability being hailed as "guitar gods", especially by rags like NMW and Q. This thread is not about the technical factor, it's about who is perceived as better than they really are.

s4tch

Reaction score
Kirk Hammet. ...

Is he overrated? I haven't read nor heard any praising of Kirk's playing since the mid '90s. :lol: I'd rather say he's underrated: the guy who wrote the leads for Creeping Death, The Shortest Straw, Master of Puppets, Damage Inc (etc) does absolutely not deserve the bashing he got in the last 20 years.

For me, the most overrated player these days is Ola Englund. He's a monster in recording stuff, but as a guitar player, he's nothing more than an average guy. He's a cool guy, a fine sound engineer/producer, a decent player, but he hasn't shown anything special as a player. If I ever was to get private lessons from any known player, he would be the last on my list, right with the guy from Green Day.

wespaul

Octaves of Manhattan
Reaction score
No it's because people really like his music, his style, and the sounds that came out of his guitar.

That's what I said :lol:

Considering they were pretty much a glam metal band, albeit experimenting with heavier sounds as they progressed, until the late 80s I think there were other bands that did more for making metal cool than Pantera at that time. Dimebag was a good player, but there are countless players better than him IMO He's the person a lot of meathead metal guys cite as the pinnacle of a metal guitarist and that's just grossly inaccurate as far as I'm concerned. Also Pantera broke up in 2003, Damageplan was formed in 2004 and Dimebag was killed in 2004, definitely not 3 years after they stopped playing.

You must be a young guy. When Pantera was a glam band, metal was extremely popular. When Pantera emerged with their heavy sound in the early 90s, metal was NOT popular. Grunge effectively killed heavy metal's popularity in mainstream music. In spite of that, Pantera enjoyed the height of their success during this time, and the style of music they were playing was heavier than anything else. Dimebag was largely responsible for that, whether you like him or not.

And you're right, Pantera broke up in 2003, but they played their last show in August of 2001. Dimebag was killed in December of 2004. So Dimebag's death comes after over 3 years of the last time Pantera played together.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
People saying Buckethead makes me a sad panda. :(

Anyway, my vote has to go to Kirk Hammett... and Jimmy Page.

Status
Not open for further replies.