Motorcycle Thread

sawtoothscream

Reaction score
Trying to get a dirt bike ASAP. Not a street bike but so damn fun.

Now just need a good yz250 to come in my price range and not be a beaten pile of crap like that last"excellent condition" bike I looked at.

dr_game0ver

Reaction score
Hey guys, don't know if it is the right place but i'm asking anyway: i'm thinking of getting a 2003 white Kawa Z1000, any problems i should be aware of?
The bike is 20 000 miles.

CrazyDean

Reaction score
Hey guys, don't know if it is the right place but i'm asking anyway: i'm thinking of getting a 2003 white Kawa Z1000, any problems i should be aware of?
The bike is 20 000 miles.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to say because they didn't sell many around here. However, that bike is supposed to have the old ZX-9R engine, only slightly modified. The ZX-9R was a great engine that would take a beating. If I remember correctly, the clutch is a bit weak, so definitely be aware when test-riding. For the normal person, the clutch won't be an issue, but if you are drag racing or constantly downshifting at high rpm, you will be replacing it more often than average. Also, 20k miles is typical for one of that age, only 1500 mi per year.

Checklist:

-Chain- Has it been lubed recently? When standing behind the bike, chain rollers should be black, not shiny.
-Brakes- During test drive, hit the front brakes hard. Make sure the front of the bike dives smoothly without a clunk sound.
-Transmission/Clutch- Test drive, redline first gear and hit second hard. This will work the clutch and transmission its hardest. If no problems, then they are good. At some point, give it full throttle for several seconds, if it stutters at all, there is a fuel problem.
-Fluids- Coolant, brake fluid, and oil are all easily checked. Do it. Not a big deal to replace, but like the chain, this gives you an idea of how the bike has been treated.
-Tires- Motorcycle tires are expensive and they don't last long. Keep in mind how much tire tread is left when negotiating a price.

That's about it. People really love to modify motorcycles, but the fewer mods, the better, I say. Typically, the ones that have few mods, are the ones that people have really taken care of. If you have any more questions feel free to pm me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I love seeing pictures of your bikes, and I'm happy to say that I'm going to learn to start riding next month. How much gear do you frequent fliers use on the daily?

ATGATT man. I know a lot of people find that lame or chicken.... or whatever, but after all I've seen on the internet and injuries friends have had, I can't endorse anything less than a full face helmet and at the very least abrasion resistant pants/jacket/gloves and proper riding boots.

dr_game0ver

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it's difficult to say because they didn't sell many around here. However, that bike is supposed to have the old ZX-9R engine, only slightly modified. The ZX-9R was a great engine that would take a beating. If I remember correctly, the clutch is a bit weak, so definitely be aware when test-riding. For the normal person, the clutch won't be an issue, but if you are drag racing or constantly downshifting at high rpm, you will be replacing it more often than average. Also, 20k miles is typical for one of that age, only 1500 mi per year.

Checklist:

-Chain- Has it been lubed recently? When standing behind the bike, chain rollers should be black, not shiny.
-Brakes- During test drive, hit the front brakes hard. Make sure the front of the bike dives smoothly without a clunk sound.
-Transmission/Clutch- Test drive, redline first gear and hit second hard. This will work the clutch and transmission its hardest. If no problems, then they are good. At some point, give it full throttle for several seconds, if it stutters at all, there is a fuel problem.
-Fluids- Coolant, brake fluid, and oil are all easily checked. Do it. Not a big deal to replace, but like the chain, this gives you an idea of how the bike has been treated.
-Tires- Motorcycle tires are expensive and they don't last long. Keep in mind how much tire tread is left when negotiating a price.

That's about it. People really love to modify motorcycles, but the fewer mods, the better, I say. Typically, the ones that have few mods, are the ones that people have really taken care of. If you have any more questions feel free to pm me.

Thx for the answer, unfortunately i had to let it go. Front and rear brakes are completely out and i don't feel like adding an extra 800€, plus the bake sleeps outside next to the sea, the paint and plastics are in terrible shape and there is some rust here and there, especially on the exhausts...

CrazyDean

Reaction score
Thx for the answer, unfortunately i had to let it go. Front and rear brakes are completely out and i don't feel like adding an extra 800€, plus the bake sleeps outside next to the sea, the paint and plastics are in terrible shape and there is some rust here and there, especially on the exhausts...

Oh well...that's how it goes. Plenty of fish in the sea, just not next to the sea apparently.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
rr85.jpg

shredfreak

Reaction score
Kinda gassing for this for the time being.

2016-Yamaha-MT125-EU-Night-Fluo-VR360-023.jpg

Kinda limited since the damn law states the first bike has to be 125cc. Wich is a good thing or i'd be tempted for an mt07. Although the second hand market is extremely interesting by the looks of it.