Movies you've been watching...

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Hoping this turns out to be a lot of fun

Evil Vampire kids dancing with headless corpses. What you gonna do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Can't even shut up about Dune 2 long enough for me to grab a passable rip. You savages.

Saw The Creator, same director who did Rogue One IIRC. Not a bad plot, pretty decent sci-fi cyberpunk cinematography, but I didn't really dig it. The whole movie is basically a babysitting mission and the movie starts suddenly at a strange point, which kind of leaves you wondering why you give a damn about any of these people you know almost nothing about. It's not even immediately clear who are the protagonists and antagonists, shit just starts blowing up. Past that it was ok, but it never shakes the rushed and glossed over feeling. It's not one of those intelligent movies that kind of fill in the lore as it goes, it straight up basically says here's some eye candy and a storyline, good luck.

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Watched Mortal Engines just for the hell of it last night. It was a lot of fun and refreshing to see something that wasn’t a remake or tied to a franchise (even if the core plot was nothing new).

It reminded of some of the odd projects that would get greenlit in the 80’s and 90’s, plus the settings gave me slight Bioshock vibes and that’s always fun.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Watched Perfect Days, and was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was going to be one of those things like "in japan they have this concept called ikigai🤓", but it was a fun/interesting slice of life movie. Some good tunes, too. Somewhat similar to Paris, Texas with near mute main characters. I'll have to check out other Wym Wenders movies.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Event Horizon. I've seen it many times, always delivers. It's a familiar comfort at this point. I always wished there was more, but the mystery is probably part of what keeps me coming back.

Watched Mad Max Fury Road last night
Just as mental as a bag of frogs as the last time I saw it and still one of the best action films of the last 10, 20? 30?? years
Fantastic movie, definitely one of my favorites of the genre.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Poor Things
I didn't realize I could see so much naked Emma Stone and feel so little over it. They did a masterful job of having her play a toddler mentality in an adult's body. It's funny to me how most of the sex related stuff just came off as discovery and fulfillment of curiosity. Definite weirdness throughout, which I'm down for.

Lots of funny, lots of weird, pretty entertaining all around, though I could see where it wouldn't appeal to everybody. I dug it for what it is, though I doubt I'll ever need to revisit it.

manu80

Reaction score
Just watched Roadhouse remake on prime.
All that fuss for releasing it in theaters?ah ah come on... it's just bad.
Not even comparing it to the OG one, which was not that great either, just a B movie, but fun.
This one is just really not good. Plot, shorcuts, gyllenhaal's character past, editing, sfx, ending...no. Fights are ok but the way it's edited looks weird.
The only one who seems to have fun is Connor Mcgregor. He really needs to be in Guy ritchie movie. Got the looks and the chops.

Reaction score
I just found out that one of my favorite filmmakers, Bruce La Bruce has a new movie, The Visitor, and I'm eagerly waiting for it to hit streaming. Not even gonna post the trailer to spare some folks...but queerpunk art house films aren't as in abundance as you'd think they would be these days and I can always count on directors like Gregg Araki and Bruce La Bruce to do it right. There's a very strong Kenneth Anger vibe with his stuff and I love it. The Visitor is apparently La Bruce's take on Pier Paolo Pasolini's film Teorema and I'm dying to see it.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Immaculate- It's basically a riff on Rosemary's Baby but with a convent. It has some absolutely brutal gore and excellent practical special effects. The atmosphere and framing/cinematography are great and really add to the underlying dread/creepiness. There's some really strong costume design as well.
Sydney Sweeney does a great job. I really liked that the cast mostly spoke Italian (excluding Sweeney) as it added to the atmosphere. I was fully expecting it to be meh, but I enjoyed it. I think it's worth a watch if you want some artsier horror. I didn't notice Sweeney had Ptosis until this film lol

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Had me at...
naked Emma Stone
Lost me at...
having her play a toddler mentality in an adult's body

I tried watching it for about 15 minutes the other night and just turned it off. Had this whole drug induced fairytale thing going on that I didn't prefer, I guess that's what it was actually about.

Moongrum

Reaction score
I watched "Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy", it was by the same director of Drive My Car. It was aight. Three separate stories in one movie of various lovers/ex-lovers who have weird interpersonal relationships. Not sure how else to describe it, I guess another slice of life kind of movie 😅
Just watched Roadhouse remake on prime.
All that fuss for releasing it in theaters?ah ah come on... it's just bad.
Not even comparing it to the OG one, which was not that great either, just a B movie, but fun.
This one is just really not good. Plot, shorcuts, gyllenhaal's character past, editing, sfx, ending...no. Fights are ok but the way it's edited looks weird.
The only one who seems to have fun is Connor Mcgregor. He really needs to be in Guy ritchie movie. Got the looks and the chops.
It looks bad lol. My sister said it wasn't that great either. I'll still give it a watch out of curiosity, though.
excellent practical special effects.
I'm not aware of many modern movies using practical effects, so I'll definitely have to check this out.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I watched the director's cut of King Arthur. Hadn't seen this one since it came out when I was in high school. Overall it was a fun watch but has aged very poorly. I kept asking out loud, "who the fuck is cutting the grass?!" So much manicured green. Tristram is still my favorite character, I remember making a string of Rogue/Fighter D&D characters based on him.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
watching the Road House remake... It's alright but doesn't really need to exist imo. It's like the Point Break remake or the Robocop remake.
The music is way shittier than the original movie (which had a banging soundtrack). The fight scenes are handled well for the most part but there are some stupid POV cuts and weird jump cuts that just kill the flow of the action. There are some weird CGI bits that look bad (Post Malone fight at the beginning lol and the truck on the bridge scene) though. There's also some dumb CGI shit with an american crocodile and a speed boat.
It's lighter in tone and has some comedic bits in it compared to the original film. McGregor is having a fucking blast and chews scenery like mad as the main physical threat to Dalton. My biggest complaint so far is that they mangled Dalton's backstory and motivations, so it makes certain parts of the film make a lot less sense, like how he knows how to train and run a team of bouncers.

Overall it's like they wanted to take just the general idea of the original movie and the name cache to make a generic ass blockbuster action movie. MEH

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
McGregor plays a giant retarded leprechaun who can't act right, so hat's off to casting on that one. He actually nails it, and was the best part of the movie. Worst part was the shite music and CGI. Everything in between was tolerable enough, I liked the limited comedy a lot.

Latest posts