Music documentaries/making ofs etc.

• Thread starter gnoll
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gnoll

Reaction score
Your favorites?? Let's list them!

An obvious one to start it off: A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica. I like it more than I like the resulting album.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Lord Of The Logos, a documentary about artist Christophe Szpajdel, whom has probably done your favorite band's logo, most recently Metallica's logo and Rihanna's logo, as well as thousands more (including my band's logo). The director was awesome enough to include my music in this documentary, so I try to spread word about this and Christophe as much as I can,

Last edited:

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Dig! is a pretty good one about The Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols. I listened to Strung out in Heaven daily as a teen, it's an incredibly well-put-together album and it's wild to see the absolutely unbound, drug-fueled depravity and egomania that it was created in the midst of. Anton Newcombe is an asshole, and a genius. An asshole-genius.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Rumble, frat party at the pancake festival (nostalgia mention) both come to mind. I watched one about Miles Davis and one about the summer of soul, both pretty good imo.

rokket2005

Reaction score
I like the one that Mike from Car Bomb did of their early years. Shame he pulled it off youtube a while back. "The opening act is a kid yelling through a speaker in a small dog statue. There is no way to convey how incredibly stupid this makes me feel."

I also found and watched this the other night and it made me even sadder that Bo left and the band turned to crap.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I watched the Misery Signals Yesterday was Everything a few weeks ago. It was good, maybe a B or B+. I dug it, but if you don't care about Mis Sigs you can skip it.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Lord Of The Logos, a documentary about artist Christophe Szpajdel, whom has probably done your favorite band's logo, most recently Metallica's logo and Rihanna's logo, as well as thousands more (including my band's logo). The director was awesome enough to include my music in this documentary, so I try to spread word about this and Christophe as much as I can,

Great documentary about a great guy! Did my bands logo too! Must have been about 15 years ago and it was a total friend of a friend, "use this email address" type thing, and we could not believe it worked out. Very starstruck!

mastapimp

Reaction score
I've seen a ton of docs and own quite a few. Some of my favorites:

Dio: Dreamers Never Die - Great story that covers RJD's ups and downs throughout his life. Just a heads up, his widow/manager, Wendy, was heavily involved in the movie long after his death so there may be differing opinions on how things went down regarding Vivian Campbell and some other players.

Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage - A great look at the career of Rush from their start up until about 2010 or so. You get to see some great early footage of the band and get to know each band member on a more personal level. The most moving part of this doc was seeing Neil Peart through a very dark and tragic part of his life that nearly put an end to the band. It was also inspiring seeing Neil take jazz drumming lessons to "loosen up" and change his techniques for their latest album/tour (at the time).

Sound City - Dave Grohl's doc about the famed LA recording studio. Tons of great stories and brings in musicians across multiple generations and genres to tell about their studio experience as well as make new music for the film.

Metal Evolution - Sam Dunn presents a very well-researched and in-depth look at how heavy metal came to be. It's many episodes and probably about 8 hours total, but a fascinating history lesson.

Death by Metal - I'm probably in the niche target audience for this one...documentary on Chuck Schuldiner from his youth in Florida up to his passing in 2001. Lots of great segments with former bandmates and really hones in on how Chuck was striving to evolve his sound and art form through every project/release. It doesn't sugar coat anything and Chuck comes across as a very difficult person to work with. Seems like a very honest documentary put together by a hardcore fan.

Refused are Fucking Dead - Short doc about the Swedish band Refused, directed by one of their guitarists. I found out about this band through one of my college roommates a couple years after The Shape of Punk to Come was released, so it was interesting to see their disbanding unfold from a band member's point of view several years after the fact.

Last edited:

Latest posts