Mustaine left Dean and went to Gibson/Epiphone/Kramer

• Thread starter Bdtunn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You think so? I can think of a ton of bands with great live tone, some even better than their recorded sound. Dying Fetus comes to mind. Even Wintersun despite all of their pompous behavior has great live tone.

I'm glad you have that experience, I do not. Last time I saw Dream Theater, there simply was NO bass guitar in the sound unless it was solo, and its definition... only felt at my legs and chest, so muddy I couldn't even understand the melody or rhythm. The guitar was OK, drums, vox and synth as well... And I was right between the stage and the mixer console of the show...

Steve Vai stage sound has always been impeccable, a bit too loud sometimes, but full of definition on all instruments.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve seen periphery three times and they had great tone every time. Iron Maiden was pretty good too when I saw them at jiffy lube.

mastapimp

Reaction score
I'm glad you have that experience, I do not. Last time I saw Dream Theater, there simply was NO bass guitar in the sound unless it was solo, and its definition... only felt at my legs and chest, so muddy I couldn't even understand the melody or rhythm. The guitar was OK, drums, vox and synth as well... And I was right between the stage and the mixer console of the show...
That's all John Myung's doing, he's a sound guy's nightmare cause he's always fiddling with the volume on his bass. My dad's college roommate even told me John was doing that in high school. He'd know since he taught Petrucci, Moore, and Myung in their school's jazz band.

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
Most bands that I’ve seen live had less than ideal tone , but two really stand out in a good way:

Foo fighters
Green Day

Both bands sounded incredible when I say them a while back.

Zado

Reaction score
Most bands that I’ve seen live had less than ideal tone , but two really stand out in a good way:

Foo fighters
Green Day

Both bands sounded incredible when I say them a while back.
That's something I'd expect from punk-grunge bands honestly, they often use very straight to the bone gear, which is the safest way to get a good, clear, audible sound.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Consuming morning flagon of brew, one thing leads to another and now this is on:

zappatton2

Reaction score
To continue the slight derail, I saw Megadeth twice; once in the mid-90's with C.O.C., once in the mid-00's with Heaven & Hell, and I have never heard a clearer metal performance out of any band before or since. I was amazed at how every note seemed to cut through, especially when other bands in larger venues (I'm thinking Slayer particularly) just seemed to sound like mud and noise.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I mean I’m pretty sure I remember seeing Dave mentioned amongst Axe Fx artists. Unless that was a fever dream. Makes sense that he’d be sending a signal straight from the rack gear to the FOH.

Crumbling

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
ESP is a no go, but he was ready to go back to Jackson in 07 before Dean swooped in with the fat check. Its just money in the end

VMNT

Reaction score
If I was Mustaine and Gibson approached me, I'd go for the 50th Anniversary V with 24 frets, smaller headstock (early '80s), STB and black hardware.
Even the control layout is nearly there, just add one more pot, relocated the input jack to the upper wing and off we go.
In korina, black, silver and white please :D

VIMG_0678.jpg

Last edited:

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
To be fair, Megadeth's live tones were never something to write home about. They sounded fine, but it was the music and energy that made the show.

Yeah, I've seen them live three times. Once at a festival and twice indoors - one "academy" gig and one proper arena. Both indoor times they were simply too loud and the guitars were REALLY bright. Still enjoyed it, but the tone was awful overall.

... Live shows tones are rarely something good to write about... even from bandas like Megadeth, Metallica or Dream Theater. It's another story when we speak about Steve Vai and the likes.

Metallica live sound is impeccable IMO. Seen them probably 10x at festivals, arenas, outdoor gigs over the last 20 years. They've always been super consistent and clear. Not that much gain on the guitars, but everything ends up super balanced and you can hear everything clearly.

It became a LOT worse recently. I saw them 10+ years ago, on the Train of Thought tour, and their sound was AMAZING. Super thick and juicy rhythm guitars, searing leads.

Saw them in 2019 and it was exactly as you described. Muddy. Gross.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score

When I caught DT I couldn't hear Myung at all, his cover of Portrait of Tracey was so bad he rushed it so he didn't have to play it. His super scooped dark tone doesn't work with that type of material at all. But even during the Dream Theater tracks it sounded like garbage. Kinda embarrassing for someone who is so heavily help up as a great metal bassist imo