Mustaine left Dean and went to Gibson/Epiphone/Kramer

• Thread starter Bdtunn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bdtunn

Reaction score
Unpopular opinion, for that tone Megadeth had their best live tone. I think that was the first tour he started using the Rocktron Prophesys?

Also still fucking shocked that Al can shred like that with his guitar so fucking low. :lol:

man I always thought that as well! I tried to emulate that tone for years.

mastapimp

Reaction score
Can't imagine Dave's articulation and tightness live on Gibson Les Paul pick-ups... :(
One other comment, I doubt he'd release a signature guitar without throwing in his signature livewire pickups. It's kinda par for the course these days with the big time endorsers.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
This album and the System has Failed are really a lot better than people give them credit for.

Even if it started off as Mustaine's solo project, I like to think of it as the spiritual successor to the Peace Sells lineup. Chris Poland on leads, and since Gar was jazz/fusion drummer, Vinnie Coliauta was more than worthy to be behind the kit (hell, he's pretty much overqualified but it's awesome hearing Vinnie play thrash). Had it had been Junior on bass, and more stronger songwriting, I'd say it'd be a stone throw from a full reincarnation.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I think that lineup are underrated as players. Tone here live was the best they ever had imo.

The world needs a hero also had really nice tones and production. Some great songs on there too but the non hit songs are not great imo.

This album and the System has Failed are really a lot better than people give them credit for.
Fun story. I learned how to palm mute thrashy rhythm stuff by playing the beginning of Blackmail the Universe over and over and over again. It's kind of a perfect set of riffs for that. That's a solid album. Some real nostalgia there.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
One other comment, I doubt he'd release a signature guitar without throwing in his signature livewire pickups. It's kinda par for the course these days with the big time endorsers.
That would be cool. Buy my signature guitar but if you want my signature pickups you'll have to buy them separately and swap them out.

Celtic Frosted Flakes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Maybe Dave Mustaines great tone in the 2000s came from his Line 6 signature amp. I mean, together with his ESP Axxion this must be his most sought-after gear.

VMNT

Reaction score
Agree about the Rude Awakening tone, love it. I would be quick to blame the Livewires but the tone on That One Night is also still alright I think. The United Abominations tour tone (Line 6) was not a classic Marshall, but I wasn't put off just yet IIRC. Where did it go wrong?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Maybe Dave Mustaines great tone in the 2000s came from his Line 6 signature amp. I mean, together with his ESP Axxion this must be his most sought-after gear.

From what I can tell, his sounds from the Rude Awakening era was either the Marshall JMP1 or Rocktroj Prophesy v1 running into a Marshall 100/100 and Marshall cabs. The L6 heads didn't come into play until 2006 or 2007.

Also agreed about System has Failed. It's a great album just for Chris Polands lead work alone. Sucks they couldn't come to an agreement.

VMNT

Reaction score
From what I can tell, his sounds from the Rude Awakening era was either the Marshall JMP1 or Rocktron Prophesy v1 running into a Marshall 100/100 and Marshall cabs. The L6 heads didn't come into play until 2006 or 2007.

He started using the Rocktron Prophesy when Marty was still in the band, so most likely his rig hasn't changed much between 1999 and 2005

1999/2000:
MustaineFriedman.jpg

2004/2005:
MustaineRig.jpg

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
He started using the Rocktron Prophesy when Marty was still in the band, so most likely his rig hasn't changed much between 1999 and 2005

1999/2000:
View attachment 89078

2004/2005:
View attachment 89077

Huh, didn't realize that. I thought he was still using the JMP in 1999/2000 because his tone sounded so significantly different in 2001.

Omzig

Reaction score
Can anyone help me locate a countdown to extinction or rust in peace Vinyl LP?

I have R.I.P. vinyl signed by all 4 orginal RIP line up members,sorry NFS, managed to meet them in birmingham uk at a signing session, Marty was the only one who wanted to speak much though (was also the only one who didnt look stoned or high) and totally beamed with pride when i also gave him a Dragon's Kiss vinyl to sign and told him it was my fav Album ever (still true today) shout if you want proof pics and i'll pull the LP's out for you guys ;)

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I have R.I.P. vinyl signed by all 4 orginal RIP line up members,sorry NFS, managed to meet them in birmingham uk at a signing session, Marty was the only one who wanted to speak much though (was also the only one who didnt look stoned or high) and totally beamed with pride when i also gave him a Dragon's Kiss vinyl to sign and told him it was my fav Album ever (still true today) shout if you want proof pics and i'll pull the LP's out for you guys ;)

I am very jealous!

Reaction score
To be fair, Megadeth's live tones were never something to write home about. They sounded fine, but it was the music and energy that made the show.

... Live shows tones are rarely something good to write about... even from bandas like Megadeth, Metallica or Dream Theater. It's another story when we speak about Steve Vai and the likes.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
... Live shows tones are rarely something good to write about... even from bandas like Megadeth, Metallica or Dream Theater. It's another story when we speak about Steve Vai and the likes.

You think so? I can think of a ton of bands with great live tone, some even better than their recorded sound. Dying Fetus comes to mind. Even Wintersun despite all of their pompous behavior has great live tone.