Mustaine left Dean and went to Gibson/Epiphone/Kramer

• Thread starter Bdtunn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zado

Reaction score
I remember Satchel leaving Kramer due to complain about guitars and their distribution, so they're likely trying to relaunch the brand, maybe fixing such issues as well?

efiltsohg

Reaction score
How is Kramer doing, anyway?

I've been following GKG on and off since about 2005, whenever Gary Kramer split from his namesake. I realise they're separate companies. I think at that time, Kramer proper was sold to Gibson. Looking at Kramer's website now, I guess it...exists? Aside from looking rather dated, there's no artists page and, of the 12 guitars they have spread across two product lines, none are priced above $1200 or list a place of manufacture. I assume Kramer is now import-only and not very well supported by Gibson.

Looking at Charvel's resurgence, it makes me think what Gibson is doing with Kramer is a waste. Unless that is their thinking, too, and Mustaine's signing would be the thin end of the wedge to reboot the company.

it was making some decent stuff when they half-revived it a few years ago (I got a new 2019 MIK Kramer for like 800 CAD) but they just moved all production to the epiphone plant in china

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
it was making some decent stuff when they half-revived it a few years ago (I got a new 2019 MIK Kramer for like 800 CAD) but they just moved all production to the epiphone plant in china

All production? I haven't seen a single Chinese-made Kramer - except for the handful they make that are about 150 bucks to begin with. Citation?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kramer rep said so at Namm 2019

They must not have executed on that yet. All the late 2020 builds I've seen have still been Indonesia, at least everything over $500. The Focus and non-locking Barettas have always been MIC.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
latest

Alex79

Reaction score
Whoever will pay the most

It will largely be based on financial considerations, no doubt.
Mustaine is not the kind of guy who is "in love" with his gear; he regularly sells off all the stuff he no longer needs, for monetary gains. It is obvious that his guitars are only tools for him that can be turned into financial gain when they are no longer needed.

TBH that is kind of a reasonable and healthy way to view your gear.

manu80

Reaction score
I guess that leaving dean should have been official already last year as we were already talking about that here
and he also had no new models with new graphic whatshowever this year at all...
Hope they'll anounce it soon

VMNT

Reaction score
I really don't think that the silver V in the leaked photos will be the new Mustaine Signature. It's much too close to the KV1/VMNT minus the quality (sorry Gibson!). Most likely it was something that Gibson committed in order to start the conversation.
That said, it would be cool to see a classic Flying V Mustaine style a la Y2KV.
Always thought that the 50th Anniversary Gibson Flying V had Mustaine written all over it. It's like the KV1 had a baby with a Flying V. Sadly not even close to the Jackson models when it comes to quality or feel. My two cents.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
I really don't think that the silver V in the leaked photos will be the new Mustaine Signature. It's much too close to the KV1/VMNT minus the quality (sorry Gibson!). Most likely it was something that Gibson committed in order to start the conversation.
That said, it would be cool to see a classic Flying V Mustaine style a la Y2KV.
Always thought that the 50th Anniversary Gibson Flying V had Mustaine written all over it. It's like the KV1 had a baby with a Flying V. Sadly not even close to the Jackson models when it comes to quality or feel. My two cents.

The 50th aniversary V in a colour that doesnt butcher the shape (I.E. not a burst that goes black around the edges) would be pretty cool.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking for a time too. Gibson knew/speculated that Mustaines contract was up soon, so they sent him a prototype V to test drive. They're trying to revive Kramer, so adding him to the roster would add a lot more legitimacy than some old washed up hair metal dude

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking for a time too. Gibson knew/speculated that Mustaines contract was up soon, so they sent him a prototype V to test drive. They're trying to revive Kramer, so adding him to the roster would add a lot more legitimacy than some old washed up hair metal dude
Yeah. Some washed up old ex-metallica 80s thrash frontman of a band with a revolving door roster that moves from brand to brand is the way to go.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yeah. Some washed up old ex-metallica 80s thrash frontman of a band with a revolving door roster that moves from brand to brand is the way to go.

We all give Mustaine shit but he sells records and has more of a reputation than Snake Sabo. :lol:
And Megadeth still has a maaasssive die hard fanbase.

Last edited:

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score

Megadeth still sell more records than 99% of heavy bands out there. They also get a LOT of radioplay.

They are definitely mega relevant.

Latest posts