Mustaine left Dean and went to Gibson/Epiphone/Kramer

• Thread starter Bdtunn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Many were. Depends on the model and year.

Usually ESP just made the parts and they were assembled in the US. Pensa-Suhr started that way too.

LaSiDo made parts for them, too. Some were actually built in the Jersey factory, though by '86 or so most of the parts are ESP, IIRC.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I forgot Karl was still with Dean, but then again Dean doesn't seem to go out of their way to advertise their products or their endorsees so it's not really surprising. Aside from him I can't think of anyone worthwhile still on their roster after all the other guys have jumped ship.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
Everyone saying that Mustaine's guitars would be too expensive if they were Gibson.

You do realise most of his his deans weren't exactly cheap. You had one super cheapo at 349, two guitars at 1.2k and the rest were between 3-5k.

If it werent for the ugly as sin headstock and inlays this guitar would be so dope:

https://www.deanguitars.com/product?id=usavmntgrail

Zhysick

Reaction score

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I forgot Karl was still with Dean, but then again Dean doesn't seem to go out of their way to advertise their products or their endorsees so it's not really surprising. Aside from him I can't think of anyone worthwhile still on their roster after all the other guys have jumped ship.

To be fair, Michael Schenker is one of the most important guitarists alive, so there is that.

failsafe

Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised if Dave goes to Gibson for a couple of reasons:

1. Gibson has the $$ and production capacity.

2. A big FU to Hetfield.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised if Dave goes to Gibson for a couple of reasons:

1. Gibson has the $$ and production capacity.

2. A big FU to Hetfield.

How would it be a big FU to Hetfield? Also those two have patched things up in recent years. Dave is a much less bitter guy now than he has previously been.

manu80

Reaction score
Jaymz plays on esp and can do whatever he wants and play gibson so i don’t see the point. And i think medias like to pump up the stories/feud too
He’s a big mouth , still, but thats what makes his strength too.

failsafe

Reaction score
Hetfield and Gibson had a big falling out with the Iron Cross sig, supposedly. Dave getting his sig would mean (in Dave’s mind) getting the upper hand in that regard.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
How is Kramer doing, anyway?

I've been following GKG on and off since about 2005, whenever Gary Kramer split from his namesake. I realise they're separate companies. I think at that time, Kramer proper was sold to Gibson. Looking at Kramer's website now, I guess it...exists? Aside from looking rather dated, there's no artists page and, of the 12 guitars they have spread across two product lines, none are priced above $1200 or list a place of manufacture. I assume Kramer is now import-only and not very well supported by Gibson.

Looking at Charvel's resurgence, it makes me think what Gibson is doing with Kramer is a waste. Unless that is their thinking, too, and Mustaine's signing would be the thin end of the wedge to reboot the company.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Kramer The 84 is a killer, killer guitar. I have no idea how well they are selling, but I am guessing that they probably sold quite a few after we lost Eddie. The Kramer reissues that I have noodled with have all been solid instruments. All the Kramers are imports and I think the one I played most recently was Korean or Indonesian.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
Kramer The 84 is a killer, killer guitar. I have no idea how well they are selling, but I am guessing that they probably sold quite a few after we lost Eddie. The Kramer reissues that I have noodled with have all been solid instruments. All the Kramers are imports and I think the one I played most recently was Korean or Indonesian.

I didnt even know Kramer were still releasing guitars, so there is that.

Also one of their V shapes is like a proto ESP Vulture. Which came first?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Kramer had a pretty big resurgence recently. There's been a bit more focus on the brand from the higher-ups, and I imagine trying to get Mustaine on the brand is a way to both make the brand seem more legit AND possibly test a new line of USA stuff?

Latest posts