need a good 5 string bass for 1175$ and less

• Thread starter shalev98732
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
so im in a megadeth tribute band, and stupid me forgot i need 5 string bass for the youthansia songs, ive been thinking of schecter, sire or ibanez. dont have the cash to spend more than that amount

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you go Ibanez you could get a multiscale Soundgear in that range, or any number of other Soundgears. Or for a more thrash look an RGB 5 string and save a ton of cash.

I have no experience with Schecter or Sire basses but I've always heard good things. If you have time to try stuff out, you'd have a lot of options since youre not tuning super low.

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you go Ibanez you could get a multiscale Soundgear in that range, or any number of other Soundgears. Or for a more thrash look an RGB 5 string and save a ton of cash.

I have no experience with Schecter or Sire basses but I've always heard good things. If you have time to try stuff out, you'd have a lot of options since youre not tuning super low.
i dont really like multiscales since i do chords on bass too

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Music Go Round and GC Used are your friends.

You can find Standard line Warwicks, Deluxe and Player Plus Fenders, and some of the better contemporary Ibanez SR/BTB and Schecter stuff for your budget.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hear you, it can get weird on higher registers though the fan is pretty small on those vs a Dingwall. That said, the adjustment period is usually pretty fast.

I'd think most regular 34 or 35" scale basses should do well for you and if you branch out on brands definitely give Warwick a look as @MaxOfMetal said.

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Music Go Round and GC Used are your friends.

You can find Standard line Warwicks, Deluxe and Player Plus Fenders, and some of the better contemporary Ibanez SR/BTB and Schecter stuff for your budget.
I live in israhell man i dont live in the usa i cant go there unless they have an online store

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hear you, it can get weird on higher registers though the fan is pretty small on those vs a Dingwall. That said, the adjustment period is usually pretty fast.

I'd think most regular 34 or 35" scale basses should do well for you and if you branch out on brands definitely give Warwick a look as @MaxOfMetal said.
Warwicks are usually cheaper here theres just so many models and i dont know which ones are good, since some peoppe told me warwick can be hit or miss althrough i dont care for fat necks

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I live in israhell man i dont live in the usa i cant go there unless they have an online store

Should have mentioned that in the OP, and while MGR and GC Used have online stores, shipping will probably be cost prohibitive.

You really can't go wrong with the brands you mentioned, it's really just going to come down to personal preference.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Some older Warwicks have super thin necks, like Proline Corvettes. I've always preferred German made ones with wenge necks, but there might be some with ovankol necks that don't have a huge/thick profile.

I have very limited experience with the Rockbass models but I would assume if they have a neck you like, any of those should also be good.

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Should have mentioned that in the OP, and while MGR and GC Used have online stores, shipping will probably be cost prohibitive.

You really can't go wrong with the brands you mentioned, it's really just going to come down to personal preference.
parents said theyd cover shipping

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Some older Warwicks have super thin necks, like Proline Corvettes. I've always preferred German made ones with wenge necks, but there might be some with ovankol necks that don't have a huge/thick profile.

I have very limited experience with the Rockbass models but I would assume if they have a neck you like, any of those should also be good.
dont have problem with chunky and thick necks.

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
actually i am looking for a bass that will cut throught the mix very well, since im connecting it to an headrush mx5 currently, and for megadeth i need the bass to cut throught the mix as you can hear the bass in all their songs

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
actually i am looking for a bass that will cut throught the mix very well, since im connecting it to an headrush mx5 currently, and for megadeth i need the bass to cut throught the mix as you can hear the bass in all their songs
What are you using for amplification? That will be a bigger factor for cutting through the mix than the bass will be.

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What are you using for amplification? That will be a bigger factor for cutting through the mix than the bass will be.
Im using an headrush mx5 (multi effect pedal) with two signals combines into one ill take a pic and explain, will be easier that eay

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Im using an headrush mx5 (multi effect pedal) with two signals combines into one ill take a pic and explain, will be easier that eay
Right but what are you using to amplify the pedal? 4 cable method into an amp? FRFR speakers?

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
On the top it starts with a graphic eq cutting a bit of the high and high mids and increasing lows going into a compressor into an ampeg portaflex b-15n model going into a bass cabinet.
On the bottom its a peavey 5150ii on lead channel with low on 4% mid on 50% and high on 80% going into an mesa oversized cab inti a graphic eq cutting low and low mod together they mix into a funamic compressor i sometimes add a delay and other stuff before the dynamic compression for the opening of trust

Attachments

• 16815914722593462421713917534406.jpg
    16815914722593462421713917534406.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
On the top it starts with a graphic eq cutting a bit of the high and high mids and increasing lows going into a compressor into an ampeg portaflex b-15n model going into a bass cabinet.
On the bottom its a peavey 5150ii on lead channel with low on 4% mid on 50% and high on 80% going into an mesa oversized cab inti a graphic eq cutting low and low mod together they mix into a funamic compressor i sometimes add a delay and other stuff before the dynamic compression for the opening of trust
Forgot to mention its a mesa oversized cab with m57 mic and the amp has its gain on like 3%

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Right but what are you using to amplify the pedal? 4 cable method into an amp? FRFR speakers?
Frfr currently if the place has a bass amp ill use the 4 cable method and jist use overdrive or distortion into it, prehaps the darkglass prramp

Hexer

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm gonna throw Esh basses into the mix!
Check out their Stinger, Stinger II and Various models. Stinger and Various you can get with dual single coils (active or passive) or single MM-style humbucker (active or passive). the active ones also have a piezo bridge. Stinger II are usually 2 humbuckers. You may also be able to find older used models in different configurations.
Great metal basses and they come from the same place (NBE in Czech Republic) that builds the Euro Spectors.

Here are mine, Stinger 5-string and Various 4-string (both active and with piezo bridge)

Attachments

• 321620095_1406648516537641_9186911454224392573_n.jpg
    321620095_1406648516537641_9186911454224392573_n.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited: