Need a New Amp and on a budget

• Thread starter smucarolina
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

smucarolina

King of the Chatroom
Reaction score
Well...money has been tight for me recently. I sold my 5150 II recently for a nice little profit of $300 (got it for a killer deal). Now I want to use that $300 to get a new head. I can go up to as much as $400. What amps do you guys recommend to check out? Some older randall SS amps have caught my eye (Warhead, Titan, etc.) and even some T2s I have seen in my price range. Open to any and all suggestions. I play everything to blues to modern heavy metal...but a one trick pony will do fine as long as it sounds good at what it does best (metal)!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
See if you can find a used B52 AT100 or ATX100. I'm getting all sorts of compliments on mine. Picked it up at GC for $250 for a 100watt all tube 3 channel head, with 3 rectifier settings, and foot-switchable reverb and effects loop.

There were some reliability complaints early on, but my logic is if it was going to catch fire, it would have done it already. Not a ringing endorsement i know, but it's carried me this far :lol:

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
I've seen a few Peavey XXX in that price range. A little fizzy, but can be cleaned up w/ a noise supressor.

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
What kind of amp are you looking for besides versatile or metal? A V2 will be a bit tough to find for 400, but there is a sick white tolex T2 on used.guitarcenter for $399. Otherwise you should be able to find a Peavey XXX around that price. And yeah solid state Randalls are always bad ass indeed. :)

Oh, and there's always some Jet City stuff like the 20 or 50w heads.

Edit: oh snap, almost forgot to mention Laney! Look for a GH50l or something like an AOR. And if you hate your back maybe a Peavey Butcher or VTM :lol:

AfroSamurai

Reaction score
Depends on what you play, but here's a list of killer amps at that price
- ampeg vh140
- randall cyclone
- peavey xxl
- peavey rockmaster + rocktron velocity
- peavey ultra plus
From all of those the ultra plus is the best. Actually the ultra plus is still one of the best amps I've ever played.

Good luck!