Need some help with my rig!!!

willy petro

willy petro
Reaction score
Hey, im currently looking for a better tone. Kinda similar to a jeff loomis tone. I currently have a carvin sx300 head and a basic crate cab. And i was wondering if i upgraded to a peavey valve king head would it boost my tone. Or would i be better off swapping me stock agile pickups for some emgs? Or both. I have no clue what i should do to get a better town. My town right now is kinda muddy which i think is the speakers but i know nothing about any of this lol. My friend suggested for me to get a pod 2.0 but i heard some really crappy reviews about em. Any ideas would help alot!!!! My price range im willing to spend for a head is around 600-750$ And pickups im open to any range. Cabs is that are around 400$ I just need some ideas that would help. pedals or anything. Sorry this is kinda dragged on. My english isnt that great!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

malin

Goujat
Reaction score
Loomis plays with emg I believe and ENGL SE amps. Trying to get the same kind of tone would involve money and imagination

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
i'd go for a new cab first,

then yes imagination

but maybe a pedal to boost or two would help as well idk?!

the 300b's aren't bad really raw from what i understand, but to get that moderny smoothness of an engl, you need to put something in front

or so i think?

idk, i think a new cab would help immensely though

cabs have solved interesting problems for me

good luck!

willy petro

willy petro
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I know that he uses engl its just alot of money for a 16 year old to come up with lol. What kind of cab would you suggest getting? And pedals. I have distortion pedals but you think a overdrive might boost it a bit?

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
If you're stuck with $600-700 dollars then I'd say spend as follows:

and will eat up your budget. for that little money you'd probably do best seeing if you can get a used Peavey 6505, Bugera 333 or perhaps an Engl e530 preamp if you can use with your Carvin's power amp. Get a modern Avatar 4x12 or a used Rectifier cab. For pickups you can go the EMG route or try Blackouts.

willy petro

willy petro
Reaction score
Alright as for pickups im almost postive im going emg. As for the cab once i get a head ill probably take it to a music store and try out diffrent cabs and see how it sounds. How much do you think a used peavey 6505 would be?

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
Alright as for pickups im almost postive im going emg. As for the cab once i get a head ill probably take it to a music store and try out diffrent cabs and see how it sounds. How much do you think a used peavey 6505 would be?

it ranges 500-1000, 1000 being new of course

but that's a very good idea indeed

as for distortion etc, pedals get a boost like a maxon 808 or something similar

as for cabs, i like vader, and mills but mills is a bit ridiculous in terms of price for what you're looking for,

erm?!!? what else for cabs, yeah mesa's are kick ass

regards

willy petro

willy petro
Reaction score
Yeah i really like mesa cabs. Idk they got a used 6505 for like 699 at music go round. just need to get money!!! Thanks alot Man!!!!