Neil Peart has passed away

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

watson503

Los Cochinos
Reaction score
So many memories from my youth of which Rush was the soundtrack. I first saw them on the Power Windows tour and several tours after that up to and including Roll The Bones but I kick myself for missing them in recent years. What a lyricist Neil was, as amazing a drummer as he was, his lyrics were incredible, as well. What a loss to the world...we will miss you, Neil. Rest in peace.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Beyond the Lighted Stage is probably my favorite rockumentary. I need to watch it again.

Whats wrong with Time Stands Still?
It was fan made and honestly more about the super fans rather than the band itself. I didn't care to watch a documentary from the view of these super fans obsessed with Rush. Seriously there are people in the documentary that look at Rush like a religion and that's what most of the documentary is about. Beyond the Lighted Stage was 10x better.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Got a CBC news alert on my phone when I can home from work yesterday. Absolutely terrible news. R.I.P. Neil, you'll be missed by so many.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
One of the coolest Neil stories I’ve heard is the one from the documentary, where he went to Freddie Gruber to tear down and relearn drumming to get a little more “feel.” Here’s a guy who is one of the best drummers in rock, has been successful for decades, has been playing for 30 years, and he’s humble enough to know there is always more to learn, and the pursuit of excellence never stops. For me, this is one of his biggest impacts on my playing. We should all be so open minded and continual students of our instrument.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
It was fan made and honestly more about the super fans rather than the band itself. I didn't care to watch a documentary from the view of these super fans obsessed with Rush. Seriously there are people in the documentary that look at Rush like a religion and that's what most of the documentary is about. Beyond the Lighted Stage was 10x better.
I heard somewhere that Time Stand Still was also about the band calling themselves done and that there were a lot of fans who refused to see it because of that fact.

Avedas

Reaction score
That documentary was really weird. The people in it were also really weird.

Beyond the Lighted Stage is a masterpiece though.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I heard somewhere that Time Stand Still was also about the band calling themselves done and that there were a lot of fans who refused to see it because of that fact.
Towards the end they have kind of like a sign off, but that's not what most of the documentary is about.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Once my band mates and I discovered Rush we did everything we could to learn about them, their music, and their technique. They always come across as such good guys, and in an era when many of their contemporaries imploded (VH, The Police) they just hung in there and kept cranking out good music.
YYZ has always been one of my favorites, for obvious reasons, and I remember my friends and I trying to figure out what “YYZ” stood for. That was before Wikipedia and YouTube, and eventually I learned all about it, but it’s still cool to watch the guys talk about it in this clip:

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Gutted...

True legend and genius, forever inspired.

R.I.P.

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
RIP.... great drummer from a great band.

Big influence and inspiration for me. Really sad to see him go at still young age.
Listen to rush all weekend as a tribute!

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
Not much to say, I've been hurting all weekend. Neil and Rush have really meant a lot to me in my life and when these guys who have shaped you as a person die, it feels as if you've lost a relative.

RIP to one of the greatest of all time.

devastone

Reaction score
I'm an old geezer, I saw Rush many times in the 70s and 80s when I was in high school and college, always amazing (back when tours were affordable and great bands always came through, even Johnson City, TN). This is definitely sad news, RIP Neil.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Neil Peart Memory.

The date was January 27, 1992. I lived in Antioch, Ca and worked in Oakland, Ca on 98th Ave. My good friend Chris Keller worked 2 blocks away from where I worked, so we both carpooled together from Antioch to Oakland and back every day. I was endorsed by ADA Amplification at the time, and was blessed to occasionally beta test gear in development prior to release to market. Chris was a sales associate there, so I owe my endorsement to his avocations.

After dropping Chris off at home, I went home & my ex-wife told me that Chris had called me a moment a go and wanted me to call him back right away. I remember telling her that I had just dropped him off, a bit puzzled as to why he had just called. I called him back and he tells me that RUSH is playing at the Arco Arena in Sacramento and asked if I would like to go. I inquired as to how much tickets were, and he explained that they were free, we just have to pick them up at “Will Call” when we get there. I agreed very much that I would love to go, so he picked me up in about 30 minutes and we were on our way.

On the way, I inquired how he got free RUSH tickets, and he explained that Primus was the opening act for RUSH’s “Roll The Bones” tour and that Les Claypool, (Primus’ Bass Player/Vocalist) also used to work for ADA Amplification in Oakland, Ca (Les is originally from El Sobrante), and Les had called Chris earlier in the day to offer these comped tickets to him and some guests. So, with Chris & Mary Beth Keller, myself, and my new friend Todd Bagnaschi, we embarked on a musical experience that would forever solidify some of my musical convictions and aspirations, while providing me with a new friend/musician to explore these musings. Todd is a drummer, actually one of the finest I’ve ever worked with, and we’ve done a couple of small projects together that didn’t really go anywhere, but our musical adventures together, and friendship of these 28+ years have been priceless.

We arrived shortly after Primus’ set had ended, as we just traveled 90 minutes from Antioch to Sacramento, after already enduring a similar time of commuter traffic from Oakland to Antioch. RUSH hit the stage opening with the song “Force Ten”, and I stood in awe as I watched in person one of the most influential bands of my experience display in practicality and in technicality how the sounded like the world’s smallest orchestra. Between Geddy & Alex triggering drones, samples, backing vocals and other special effects with the midi equipped Taurus pedals, to Neil being classic Neil and doing the same with drum pads that were specifically setup to do similar supplementary sounds. Placing all the technical stuff aside, just on acoustic instruments, these guys were at the top of the echelon and unmatchable.

As I was venturing further into keyboards in addition to being primarily a guitar player, I was inspired at how much music one person could perform if one really set their mind to it. I was largely impressed with how Neil was not just a rock & roll drummer, not just a percussionist, but ultimately a composer of drums. One not to recapitulate, he rarely “copied & pasted” in the form of repeating a pattern performed in verse one to identically performing it in verse two, but was always building upon himself in order to refrain from complacency, and constantly push himself. This is, of course, is the very epitome of progressive music, and they are some of the genre’s godfathers.

Over the years, I’ve gather a great deal of useful material to inspire and educate myself on a variety of musical and engineering talents, but one in particular that I’ve spent more time on recently has been that of drum programming, and doing so by breaking down the fundamentals of drumming, and sectional material, i.e. patterns and fills. Neils instructional DVD “Taking Center Stage: Lifetime of Live Performances” was a textbook for learning this craft with a value that cannot be overstated. The interviews, and the overhead cam performances ( end even Slo-Motion) give such great isolation and breakdown of these parts so that one can really learn the nuances. Why this is important to a guitar player such as me is so that I can learn even more how to live out my instrumental role in the context of a full band mix by really listening to the other instruments. Ideally though, I am not just a guitar player, I am a recording engineer, a mix engineer, a producer, a keyboardist, and ultimately a composer, and much of these traits I learned from bands like RUSH in order to be a better musician.

Losing Neil as we have, is a hard hit to the musical community in general, but Neil is ideally the drummer of my generation, and his departure puts my own mortality into view a bit more vividly as he was only 13 years older than me, and I have had other friends my own age pass from natural causes over the past couple of years.

Fortunately, I have the benefit of my faith to provide me with hope when the day of my final breath comes and my days here on Earth have ended.

Thank you Neil for the music, poetry, and vulnerability as you shared your experiences of loss and grief through your book Ghost Rider. Your music lives on and inspires still!

Seybsnilksz

Reaction score
Neil and Rush are the reason I'm big into progressive stuff. Dad showed me 2112 when I was about 5 or 6, and I listened to the Overture and The Temples of Syrinx so many times he had to tell me to stop. I was big into drums at that time, and I would put two of our big armchairs into a big "drum set" and play along with china sticks to A Show of Hands. Neil was my absolute idol.

Listening to them eventually lead to the formation of my musical taste as it is today, and many of their songs stand the test of time incredibly well. I would say that The Camera Eye and Jacob's Ladder ar my favourites at the moment.

I'm glad I got to see them twice. First during the R30 tour in 2004, and then during the Time Machine Tour 2011.

Neil is the first musician to die that I have a really strong connection with, apart from those that died before I knew about them.

Rush in peace Neil!

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
RIP Neil Peart....the GOAT. One of my all time favorite drummers and lyricist too.

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
I started listening to Rush at the end of 2018, so I'm still kind of new in the Rush world. I have a huge appreciation for their work and impact on the music scene. Everything I've heard from them so far have been excellent. I'm most familiar with the Moving Pictures album right now, but I want to get some more albums for my vinyl collection.
Every now and then I catch myself whistling the chorus to Limelight. That's the first thing I heard with them :)

RIP Neil and thank you for the music :hbang: