New 7-string Ibanez models for 2010!

• Thread starter bram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    2010 ibanez
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I love a good high quality piece of rosewood.

So do I... which is why I hate the boards on newer Ibanez guitars :rofl: Actually love is probably too strong a word, but I don't mind them. Problem is good rosewood boards are pretty much non-existent these days on production guitars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

olejason

Reaction score
Good to see looks trump playability and tone. Besides, it's not like they make a dark oil based dye that can make any wood appear darker than most natural ebony...............oh wait! :idea::lol:

The cheap dried up rosewood you'd get on an Ibanez feels like shit to me. These are obviously "metal" guitars so the tone contributions of a fingerboard are going to be negligible at best. If you want to slop paint all over your fingerboard be my guest though. :shred:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The cheap dried up rosewood you'd get on an Ibanez feels like shit to me. These are obviously "metal" guitars so the tone contributions of a fingerboard are going to be negligible at best. If you want to slop paint all over your fingerboard be my guest though. :shred:

You do realize the vast majority of ebony on production guitars is dyed right?

As for dried up, it's called Lemon Oil, look it up. ALL fretboards can and will dry out, even the finest ebony on Earth.

I won't even address the whole "it's just metal argument". :noplease:

olejason

Reaction score
So you don't need to worry about your tone when you're playing metal? Awesome logic, man. I might as well go buy a Crate.

There's a pretty big difference in the impact of an AMP on your tone and the impact of a fingerboard wood on your tone. If you honestly think you can hear a difference in rosewood and ebony fingerboards in a full band mix I don't know what to tell you man.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's a pretty big difference in the impact of an AMP on your tone and the impact of a fingerboard wood on your tone. If you honestly think you can hear a difference in rosewood and ebony fingerboards in a full band mix I don't know what to tell you man.

Ok, so if tone isn't an issue, as we're talking about electric guitars here, which all go through amps.

Then the other two factors feel, and looks, can both be altered through methods such as basic maintenance that HAS to be done (applying Lemon Oil), as well as dyeing the fretboard, which is just as easy as applying Lemon Oil.

I can understand not wanting to dye the fretboard of a new guitar, but as far as the feel argument goes, a well oiled board is a well oiled board.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score

Hey, way to neg rep me. Class move.

ykcirj

Reaction score
I think it depends on the guitar. My hellraiser is black and has a rosewood board. It is maintained and oiled. I think it looks great.