New Adrian Belew Supergroup

• Thread starter Kwert
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stoked to see this, because you know it's going to be recorded.

Feels good with Fripp's blessing and Tony and Adrian are so essential to that sound.

Really the only thing I'm sort of hesitant about is how Steve is going to interpret the parts. Really hoping he captures vibe without too much "Vai-isms" and I do really love Steve's playing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
That's really cool.

Steve Vai's gonna ruin it if he can't refrain from being himself, though. Not that I don't like what he does or that he can't play the parts, but I wonder if he's the right choice for this.

Oh well, we'll see.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
The funny thing is that even though it's a beast lineup, they're basically just an authorized King Crimson tribute band lol
They're actually an authorised King Crimson tribute according to Fripp.

This tour won't come anywhere near me, but I will try to see it.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
KC and Vai are both very different forms of proggy IME. I don't think I would appreciate it if Vai were writing at all, but I take it this will strictly be a tribute band with maybe a few embellishments during solos. Probably going to be worth checking out.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Really the only thing I'm sort of hesitant about is how Steve is going to interpret the parts. Really hoping he captures vibe without too much "Vai-isms" and I do really love Steve's playing.

If Zappa Plays Zappa is of any indication, Vai knows how to respect certain boundaries, so I'm guessing he'll be doing the same here. And the G3 lineup with Fripp means Vai would be well accustomed to his style. That said, Adiran Belew could easily just let Vai off the leash to throw a wrench in the works.

Still, it's a stellar lineup and all down for it, even if they'll never come down to my side of the hemisphere.

It's funny how both Satch and Vai are doing tribute gigs right after their joint tour.

Fabrice

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
SA sort of dream band for me. One of my favorite drummers, one of my favorite bassists playing with two of my favorite guitarists playing the music of one of my favorite bands...

I've got high hopes for this band, and I hope it won't be another one of those great bands that goes down in flames.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score

Kwert

Reaction score
If Zappa Plays Zappa is of any indication, Vai knows how to respect certain boundaries, so I'm guessing he'll be doing the same here. And the G3 lineup with Fripp means Vai would be well accustomed to his style. That said, Adiran Belew could easily just let Vai off the leash to throw a wrench in the works.

Still, it's a stellar lineup and all down for it, even if they'll never come down to my side of the hemisphere.

It's funny how both Satch and Vai are doing tribute gigs right after their joint tour.

I mean he did play in Zappa’s band for 3 or so years.

Vai is eccentric and a bit over the top, but he’s also a professional. I really can’t see him not respecting the spirit of Crimzo material, but I’m sure they will also give him some room to go off and put his own spin on some things otherwise they wouldn’t have him on board. They know exactly who he is.

Latest posts