New cab day!! better than marshall or mesa =/

• Thread starter Ostia Man
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ostia Man

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got a carvin legacy cab with v30. I also have a marshall 1960 an a mesa rectifier cab (oversize)... I got the legacy just for the speakers so I could put them on a 2x12 I made... but, to my surprise it sounded great!! I liked it more than the mesa or marshall.
so if you want a cab that sounds great and dont want to spend a lot of $$ on a mesa or marshal, and dont care that the cab is ugly as hell >=P!! get a legacy cab

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I just got a carvin legacy cab with v30. I also have a marshall 1960 an a mesa rectifier cab (oversize)... I got the legacy just for the speakers so I could put them on a 2x12 I made... but, to my surprise it sounded great!! I liked it more than the mesa or marshall.
so if you want a cab that sounds great and dont want to spend a lot of $$ on a mesa or marshal, and dont care that the cab is ugly as hell >=P!! get a legacy cab

I really am thinking about getting one my next cab... Iveseen these go as low as $250.

Next to Avatar and the Peavey 412Ms, they really do seem like awesome "bang for the buck" cabs. :)

Ostia Man

Contributor
Reaction score
the amps arent the best... i had like 4 tube amps and 3 of them gave me a bunch of trouble

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Im not a fan of their amps, except their bass ones, so Ill stick to their guitars, speakers, and PA gear. :p

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Is there any difference between the legacy cabs and the cabs that match the V3 head?

I've always thought those V3 cabs were cool looking, although some of the older ones were gt75 loaded instead.

hellaboogie

Reaction score
I agree the Carvin Legacy cabs are great, I like you bought one used on the cheap with intentions of pulling the speakers, man was I surprised at how good it sounds and, their priced new are very reasonable. I got rid of my Mesa cabs after I bought it very impressed.

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
Their amps are pretty good, actually, they just come biased WAAAYY cold from the factory, as in tubes running at 55-60% the voltage they should be running at. Bump up the bias and they are a whole new animal.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
I love my legacy cab and my legacy head (yeah it is biased cold and not to everyone's taste, especially not around here haha)

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Awesome man.love to hear about gear that sounds great without spending stupid amounts of money. I just got the carvin bx1200 bass head myself. Its a monster. The structural integrity of my house and a few bars is jeopardy

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I'd imagine the legacy cab would sound very close to a Mesa traditional size.
The extra air space of the recto cab might be the main audible difference.

Ostia Man

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd imagine the legacy cab would sound very close to a Mesa traditional size.
The extra air space of the recto cab might be the main audible difference.

what i like about the legacy cab is that is sounds like the marshall cab, that i like more than the mesa oversize, but fatter. with out that harsh marshall bitey hi-end. i dont have a traditional mesa cab so i wouldnt know.

XBetrayedX

Banned
Reaction score
Just wondering but how much is the 2x12 Legacy by itself? Carvin doesn't have it up on the site.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
what i like about the legacy cab is that is sounds like the marshall cab, that i like more than the mesa oversize, but fatter. with out that harsh marshall bitey hi-end. i dont have a traditional mesa cab so i wouldnt know.

I think the regular Marshall's gt75 cabs are more harsh and bitey, but their vintage (V30) cabs are closer to the legacy (not saying exactly).

Carvin also made those monitor cabs custom for Vai with 3 V30s that are very cool.
I was on the Avatar website and noticed these, which I hadn't heard about. Maybe others have seen these or played one.
Pro Monitors

They look awsome for practice/rehearsal