New Dream Theater song - The Gift of Music

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Mirror

Reaction score
The word musicology tends to only get used when describing music study that doesn't fall under composition or performance.

Yap. That's pretty much it. In fact I got the word "Musicology" by using a translator, as it is called "Musikwissenschaft" in Germany, which directly translates to "music science".

Well, you know the prejudices about us germans. Everything can be turned into a science, I guess.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying that I'm not going to the second show because Symphony X is playing the same night. So it could be that the second London show is old material, I have no idea.

However, when I was buying my tickets a month or more ago, all the tour resources I could find just advertised that this is 'The Astonishing: Live!' and it's exactly that: the album from cover to cover. They even play the album credits at the end. And like the poster said above, there was a 15 minute intermission just before 'Moment of Betrayal'.

They also received a standing ovation for at least 5 minutes straight at the end (the crowd was fantastic--good job, London!) but the band didn't do an encore. This makes me believe that they'll be sticking pretty close to the album setlist for the tour.

Went to the 2nd show lastnight, it's just the new album too :) I don't have much more to say than you already did - incredible show!

After quite a lot of listens and seeing it live, honestly I feel like this record is one of my favourite releases from them. Yeah it's not the most technically demanding, not a huge amount of cool riffs etc. (well, there are, but not for the length of the record), but the music is just so good. All of it.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
Went to the 2nd show lastnight, it's just the new album too :) I don't have much more to say than you already did - incredible show!

After quite a lot of listens and seeing it live, honestly I feel like this record is one of my favourite releases from them. Yeah it's not the most technically demanding, not a huge amount of cool riffs etc. (well, there are, but not for the length of the record), but the music is just so good. All of it.

Well that's a relief to hear! I was worried I'd miss out, haha. If you look at their tour schedule, they're playing like 2-3 nights in each city, which I'm assuming is because they're playing smaller venues than they could just because they want to be in authentic theatres. Adds to the experience but detracts from their draw, so they just play two nights in a row or whatever.

By the way, Symphony X was mind-blowing. Russell Allen was talking just before the second song of their Encore about how they sold out their venue, and DT sold out the Palladium for the second night in a row, and this is despite the two bands sharing a lot of the same fans and playing on the same night. He basically just said it's really great to see such support for the prog scene, and that it seems to be getting bigger and better in spite of label execs (even Nuclear Blast) constantly telling them that the scene in shrinking.

Anyway, seeing DT and Symphony X back to back like that is definitely a highlight of my life, and probably THE highlight of all my years going to concerts. I'll definitely be supporting them live whenever I can; two of the best bands to ever play in the genre, for sure.

StrmRidr

Hide your Jacksons
Reaction score
Well that's a relief to hear! I was worried I'd miss out, haha. If you look at their tour schedule, they're playing like 2-3 nights in each city, which I'm assuming is because they're playing smaller venues than they could just because they want to be in authentic theatres. Adds to the experience but detracts from their draw, so they just play two nights in a row or whatever.

By the way, Symphony X was mind-blowing. Russell Allen was talking just before the second song of their Encore about how they sold out their venue, and DT sold out the Palladium for the second night in a row, and this is despite the two bands sharing a lot of the same fans and playing on the same night. He basically just said it's really great to see such support for the prog scene, and that it seems to be getting bigger and better in spite of label execs (even Nuclear Blast) constantly telling them that the scene in shrinking.

Anyway, seeing DT and Symphony X back to back like that is definitely a highlight of my life, and probably THE highlight of all my years going to concerts. I'll definitely be supporting them live whenever I can; two of the best bands to ever play in the genre, for sure.

I've seen both bands live too and they are both amazing. I won't be able to catch DT on this tour and I'm pretty bummed out about it :(

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
I've seen both bands live too and they are both amazing. I won't be able to catch DT on this tour and I'm pretty bummed out about it :(

I've been a huge fan of DT since ~2003, and of Symphony X since maybe 2004. So seeing them live was a long time coming, but I grew up in a place where they didn't tour and the opportunity just never presented itself. Then I moved to the UK a couple years back and quickly regretted the missed opportunities of my youth :lol:

I've been to plenty of concerts, but seeing your favorite bands is kind of a different experience. I envy people who have always been in that position; quality live music is truly something else.

StrmRidr

Hide your Jacksons
Reaction score
I've been a huge fan of DT since ~2003, and of Symphony X since maybe 2004. So seeing them live was a long time coming, but I grew up in a place where they didn't tour and the opportunity just never presented itself. Then I moved to the UK a couple years back and quickly regretted the missed opportunities of my youth :lol:

I've been to plenty of concerts, but seeing your favorite bands is kind of a different experience. I envy people who have always been in that position; quality live music is truly something else.

My situation is similar. I usually have to drive 6-8h to see most artists that I like. I was able to see Symphony X on their tour with Iced Earth and Warbringer. It was a great show since I'm a huge Iced Earth fan too.

Genome

Reaction score
Practical toilet trip planning pro-tip; they put a break before Moment of Betrayal, not between the two acts like you might think.

?

The interval was between the two acts, the first set ended with The Road to Revolution and the second set started with 2285 Entr'acte.

I saw them both nights, the 2nd night was much better as they were more confident and relaxed, the crowd responded a bit more too. Oh, and I got backstage passes and managed to meet them all afterwards :lol: So Friday wins.

GraemeH

Reaction score
?

The interval was between the two acts, the first set ended with The Road to Revolution and the second set started with 2285 Entr'acte.

I saw them both nights, the 2nd night was much better as they were more confident and relaxed, the crowd responded a bit more too. Oh, and I got backstage passes and managed to meet them all afterwards :lol: So Friday wins.

Yeah I realized that on the second night I saw them - I thought Moment of Betrayal was later in the second act for some reason.

I thought there were more mistakes on night 2 (Jordan going to the wrong patch at the wrong time, John and Mike lost each other by half a beat briefly, one or two dudd notes by La Brie) but was probably better overall as they seemed more relaxed and more willing to interact with the crowd.

Apart from that one drunk arsehole who kept shouting "Play Pull Me Under" at every quiet bit. Some folk deserve to be shot at gigs...

NickHydro

Reaction score
Yeah I realized that on the second night I saw them - I thought Moment of Betrayal was later in the second act for some reason.

I thought there were more mistakes on night 2 (Jordan going to the wrong patch at the wrong time, John and Mike lost each other by half a beat briefly, one or two dudd notes by La Brie) but was probably better overall as they seemed more relaxed and more willing to interact with the crowd.

Apart from that one drunk arsehole who kept shouting "Play Pull Me Under" at every quiet bit. Some folk deserve to be shot at gigs...

Think it was that same guy who shouted ".... song" right after moment of betrayal?

I enjoyed the gig, think there was a slight miss timing on james singing on the second verse of gift of music. Not too much else though.

Nick