New gear is at hand!

• Thread starter Scoop_89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scoop_89

Reaction score
I have my Fireball and the ENGL cab is on the way so everything is new and exciting. I got a great deal on both a G-major and a G-minor which I'm gonna take so there's the effects.

I'm deciding upon a new pedal to boost my amp. I now have the H&K Tubefactor but I don't know. I'm looking at the Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-7 from the tonelock line and I would like to try it. The thing is that the sound from the fireball is sweet but just not enough, not enough gain or dist or whatever it's called and I believe that a tubescreamer would do the trick. Been hearing something about ENGL amps being different to boost than other amps. Anyone know about that? Also I'd like some tips on a boost that works great with ENGL.

Then there's the noise gate. Everything points at the Boss NS-2 for me. Again, tips and ideas are appreciated.

After this my setup would be complete i think. Just gonna get a rack case for my goodies and I think I'm all set.

BTW, how's the tuner in the G-major? Does it track well and accurate?

Any help, tips or/and ideas are welcome!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
For a noise gate, I prefer the ISP Decimator, as does 99% of the people on this board.

In terms of the tuner on the G Major, its okay, I survived using it for a few years, but I got my Korg DTR1000 earlier this week, and already I notice it is way more accurate. The G Major is fine at a pinch, but something else would be much better.

The only thing I will say is, the G Minor is not very good. Maybe thats because I'm a bit of a MIDI geek, and the idea of only being able to scroll through presets rather than actually directly select the one I want.....just isn't my bag.

thedonutman

Reaction score
I've played a fireball extensively before (A friend of mine has one), for rhythm tones, the gain rarely goes past 4 or 5, and for lead tones, not much more than that either. The Fireball has absolutely loads of gain, so I don't see why you'd need a boost for more gain, what sort of music do you play?

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
I think it was either the Fireball or the Powerball that didn't do well with boosts, I think it was the Powerball though. A boost really isn't used for more gain per se, moreso used to tighten up the low-end and saturate the amp a little more. The Fireball should have plenty of gain on tap, but trying a boost certainly won't hurt.

Scoop_89

Reaction score
Well. I have the gain knob turned to full and it still isn't enough. If I have it on like half or less it's like a crunch sound. I plam mute vey much and therefore I need much gain. That's why I think a booster pedal would be good.

The only thing I will say is, the G Minor is not very good. Maybe thats because I'm a bit of a MIDI geek, and the idea of only being able to scroll through presets rather than actually directly select the one I want.....just isn't my bag.

You have random access to any patch. You can jump from preset 1 to 10 without going through 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Well. I have the gain knob turned to full and it still isn't enough. If I have it on like half or less it's like a crunch sound. I plam mute vey much and therefore I need much gain. That's why I think a booster pedal would be good.

That's the craziest thing I've ever heard :lol: I'd swear that you're playing on the clean channel with the gain at full instead of the lead channel. The Fireball has gain enough to stop trains. :nuts:

Reaction score
What tubes do you have in your Fireball? Are they shot? My Fierball has more gain at 12:00 than my VHT c-100cl with the gain dimed. A boost is probably just going to make it squeel like a pig.

J

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
You have random access to any patch. You can jump from preset 1 to 10 without going through 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9.

I owned one, and fact is, unless I can in one press directly select the patch I want, then its useless to me, hence why sold it. What happens if I want to select preset 4 then 7, then 13? Aint easy on that thing :)

Scoop_89

Reaction score
I'm used to serious amounts of gain when I cranked my pedal and hooked it up to the Line6 HD147. Maybe I'm spoiled by that when it comes to gain but the Fireball needs a little more imo. I love the base sound of the amp. Is anyone boosting an ENGL out there?

thadood

'Das brootal.
Reaction score
Holy gain monster! Less gain = more definition! It sounds like you want a never-ending wall of sustain when you palm mute.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I owned one, and fact is, unless I can in one press directly select the patch I want, then its useless to me, hence why sold it. What happens if I want to select preset 4 then 7, then 13? Aint easy on that thing :)

Isn't this more of a MIDI controller issue than one with the effects unit? You really should be able to go to any patch at any time as long as there's a button for it on your MIDI controller.

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't this more of a MIDI controller issue than one with the effects unit? You really should be able to go to any patch at any time as long as there's a button for it on your MIDI controller.

Yeah, but the G Minor is a MIDI controller :)

p13801b-8e92cf72b2b43dfedd683afd18112744.jpg

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
For a noise gate, I prefer the ISP Decimator, as does 99% of the people on this board.

I sold my decimator, I found that the noise gate on my g-system (which is likely the same as on the g-major) worked better for me. :shrug:

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
And I went from using the gate on the G Major to the ISP, because I thought the one on the G Major was terrible for cutting sustain, so its all preference :)

Scoop_89

Reaction score
Ok. I see that you don't like the G-minor:lol: But I like it from what I saw on TC's website and since I'm buying it used then it's cool. I'm getting a G-major, a G-minor and a rack for a price lower than a new G-major:hbang::fawk:

As for the noise gate, I might take anothe look at isp if I get the money. If I don't then it's the NS-2.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
I have no idea how the hell the G Minor works :lol: it's an odd hockey puck looking thing.

Want a good cheap MIDI controller that will do a lot? Check out a Rocktron Midimate.

plusyear

Reaction score
I have no idea how the hell the G Minor works :lol: it's an odd hockey puck looking thing.

Want a good cheap MIDI controller that will do a lot? Check out a Rocktron Midimate.
For midi controller check out the Behringer FCB1010 with the UNO upgrade :hbang:

I have the engl fireball and it has loads of gain
I never set the gain above 11 o'clock :agreed:

What pickups do you use btw?

Scoop_89

Reaction score

In one of my guitars I have a pair of Lundgren M6 and in the other one it has stock pickups. I've been thinking abouth that too and a replacement would be in order actually. I have my eyes set on EMG, I know a lot of people don't like them but that I don't really care about.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
For midi controller check out the Behringer FCB1010 with the UNO upgrade :hbang:

I have the engl fireball and it has loads of gain
I never set the gain above 11 o'clock :agreed:

The Behringer has no phantom power, for me that's a major show-stopper.

So, if you want phantom power, avoid this controller.