New Harley Benton FanFret-8

• Thread starter Van Portogal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dan0151

Reaction score
the more I look at it the more I think it would look better with a matching headstock...and maybe just a volume knob

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dan0151

Reaction score
what are people using now to upload ?

Last edited:

Vulak

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi All, new here! I just ordered an 8 string fanfret to play with a bit, as I want to test the fan frets before ordering a multiscale Kiesel. However, I would like to know if anybody has experiences with switching hardware on this. I will fit a set of Sperzel locking tuners, a SD Nazgul/Sentient, CTS pots, switchcraft jack, usual stuff. Of course also a fret job to fix anything that didn't came out properly. I just wanted to know if anybody know which bridge would fit as a replacement.

I waqs thinking Hipshot 21 degrees multiscale as it looks like the 9th fret is the perpendicular (at least I think, I still didnt get my hands on the guitar to check)

Last edited:

Phil Lewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi All, new here! I just ordered an 8 string fanfret to play with a bit, as I want to test the fan frets before ordering a multiscale Kiesel. However, I would like to know if anybody has experiences with switching hardware on this. I will fit a set of Sperzel locking tuners, a SD Nazgul/Sentient, CTS pots, switchcraft jack, usual stuff. Of course also a fret job to fix anything that didn't came out properly. I just wanted to know if anybody know which bridge would fit as a replacement.

I waqs thinking Hipshot 21 degrees multiscale as it looks like the 9th fret is the perpendicular (at least I think, I still didnt get my hands on the guitar to check)

Did you get anywhere with modding yet?

I have a 2017 on the way (with soapbar style pups), and am planning a few tweaks...

Phil Lewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

The 9th fret is the perpendicular fret, and with 25.5 to 27” scale, I believe that makes the 18 degree bridge the closest fit (according to the Hipshot calculator).

I’m also consider Hipshot Solo “bridges”, which would be a much closer relation to the hardware on the guitar.

I think either option is going to require some holes to be plugged, though...

Phil Lewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It does seem to be, yes.

At the time of my first post, they had it advertised as ‘b stock’, but about a week ago that listing vanished.

Crazy_Guitar

Reaction score
It does seem to be, yes.

At the time of my first post, they had it advertised as ‘b stock’, but about a week ago that listing vanished.
Guess I nailed that one! ;)

It's not a bad guitar. It was a little bit flawed, but considering the €213 price tag, I can't really complain.

What really made a difference was the lousy/crappy fretjob: a few frets came unglued, unevenly glued, etc. It had to go for a full fret fix.
So, my luthier/tech glued in and pressed in the bad frets and gave it a good fret level (not many problems there), and overall fretjob. Now it plays like a dream! ;)

Pickups are a bit lousy, lacking midrange. Being the 2018 version, it is not a direct replacement for EMGs/SDs.
However, the easy fix is to change the volume pot to 1Meg. It made all the difference. I still have to tweak te preamp, compared to the 6str/7str, but I guess it's just the way it goes.