New Javier Reyes LTD strat

• Thread starter StevenC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xzacx

Reaction score
What gauge do you use at 25.5?
9s, but I typically tune down a half step at 25.5 haha. I really only play in standard at 24.75 (also with 9s). This is the whole reason I'm so intrigued with the Kaizen.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score

Yeah I'm pumped this is finally happening. Very cool specs.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm working on it
giphy.gif

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
Man, you’ve really got me thinking about D-Tunas now. I’m thinking one on the G string, and when activated it would be in F#. I could be chording with the root on the B string, as if I had a down tuned 7 with an added high string, and then flick up to G, so I can do traditional lead stuff without being thrown off by the placement of the 4th.
With the third string at F#, you can also play Renaissance lute music from historical tablature. That's clearly the real win here.

You might have to tune your 7th string to D and 8th to B for later repertoire though. Can the D-Tunas do that too??

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
$2,499 for an Indonesian-made import guitar?

Hard pass.

You could buy something else with eight strings that is a lot better in terms of quality from ESP or from Edwards just by saving a bit more coin if you're already aiming to shoot into that tier of price-point
100% true. But the inclusion of the Floyd has me bottom-picture-of-the-Drake-meme-ing this. And I did just get the Edwards, so you’d think I’d still be in my guitar-buying refractory period, lol.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
100% true. But the inclusion of the Floyd has me bottom-picture-of-the-Drake-meme-ing this. And I did just get the Edwards, so you’d think I’d still be in my guitar-buying refractory period, lol.
Let’s be honest here, @Hollowway, if this didn’t have a Floyd, you wouldn’t want it. It wouldn’t be anywhere near as remotely attractive.

Also, coming from my ESP Custom Shop RAIDEN-8, the neck profile of the new JR sig model is genuinely unimpressive. The profile is simply described as "Thin Flat" on the ESP website (instead of the usual “Thin U” that we see used ubiquitously to describe almost everything ESP makes), but the JR sig’s neck has got absolutely nothing on the shape and feel of my RAIDEN-8. The JR sig’s neck could definitely be thinner and flatter — meaning, more appropriate to fit the description provided on ESP’s website.

ESP could have done better here since they see fit to ask such a high price in the market for what will undoubtedly be a lesser-quality import based on the recent track records of all the brands who have manufacturing handled in Indonesia (Ibanez, Cort, Solar, Strandberg, etc.)

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Let’s be honest here, @Hollowway, if this didn’t have a Floyd, you wouldn’t want it. It wouldn’t be anywhere near as remotely attractive.

Also, coming from my ESP Custom Shop RAIDEN-8, the neck profile of the new JR sig model is genuinely unimpressive. The profile is simply described as "Thin Flat" on the ESP website (instead of the usual “Thin U” that we see used ubiquitously to describe almost everything ESP makes), but the JR sig’s neck has got absolutely nothing on the shape and feel of my RAIDEN-8. The JR sig’s neck could definitely be thinner and flatter — meaning, more appropriate to fit the description provided on ESP’s website.

ESP could have done better here since they see fit to ask such a high price in the market for what will undoubtedly be a lesser-quality import based on the recent track records of all the brands who have manufacturing handled in Indonesia (Ibanez, Cort, Solar, Strandberg, etc.)
100% spot on. No Floyd, no interest. (In this model.)
And I think the attraction for me is the novelty. It FR8s were more commonplace, I don’t think they’d have this priced as high. (And I wouldn’t be interested.)

xzacx

Reaction score
$2,499 for an Indonesian-made import guitar?

Hard pass.

You could buy something else with eight strings that is a lot better in terms of quality from ESP or from Edwards just by saving a bit more coin if you're already aiming to shoot into that tier of price-point
Are we really going down this road again? Guitars don't cost the same amount today as they did 10 years ago. No problem if you're not willing to pay that, but it's hardly shocking at this point. And what model exactly could you buy for a similar price that's an 8-string Strat with a Floyd from ESP or Edwards? Or any other brand? Or even if you add $1k to that price? It's easy to say "the only reason it's interesting is because it's an 8-string Strat with a Floyd" but yeah, exactly, that's why it's interesting because that's not really a thing that's out there.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Are we really going down this road again?
Yes.

It's easy to say "the only reason it's interesting is because it's an 8-string Strat with a Floyd" but yeah, exactly, that's why it's interesting
So...you're arguing with me just to agree with me?

I'll simply say it again: there are other (better) options out there.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
~2,500$ buys a lot of guitar these days. Expensive still, however. On the used market you can typically find niche guitars which had upwards of 3,200$ original retail price. This price point was basically where last year's E-II models hung out I believe, which is a bit perplexing at face value. 2,500$ is about the top of what I comfortably can spend on a guitar of any kind regardless and I'm obviously more comfortable spending less for something that really suits me personally.

I suspect they don't expect these to really fly off the shelves or maybe production numbers for them aren't a priority, I suspect as much myself. It's really growing on me all the same, like some others here I do wish it were more traditionally strat configured in certain ways. Definitely have GAS for it and if I played 8's I'd surprisingly be seriously considering snatching one. Eagerly awaiting an SSO NGD thread when someone gets hands on it.