New Jeff Loomis "Noumenon" Signature SD pickups (passive!)

• Thread starter Emperoff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

So apparently Jeff got tired to all out-actives and switched to mid-output passives. Interesting...

Jeff Loomis’ Noumenon™ Signature Humbuckers, inspired by his early experiences with passive pickups, offer dynamic control and a powerful tone for both 6-string and 7-string guitars, ensuring tight low end and smooth treble. <-- You never heard that one before, did you? :lol:

The 6-string set has A8 magnets and the 7-string set is A5. Quite odd choice considering A8 is tighter and more powerful.

6-String set: DCR: Neck: 9.38k, Bridge: 15.98k
7-String set: DCR: Neck: 7.92k, Bridge: 12.66k

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
There are way too many god damn signature pickups. I love pickup options but Jesus there’s already dozens of models from most major manufacturers…and I feel like the option paralysis is too much.

I haven’t listened to the clip, nor am I going to, but I would imagine there’s already a pickup out there that could do this. Isn’t the Dave Davidson sig pickup billed as a medium output pup?

Not only that, the concept of a “signature pickup” being completely different from the EMG sound Jeff is known for seems like nonsense. I mean clearly the sense is $$$ but still.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
There are way too many god damn signature pickups. I love pickup options but Jesus there’s already dozens of models from most major manufacturers…and I feel like the option paralysis is too much.

I haven’t listened to the clip, nor am I going to, but I would imagine there’s already a pickup out there that could do this. Isn’t the Dave Davidson sig pickup billed as a medium output pup?

Not only that, the concept of a “signature pickup” being completely different from the EMG sound Jeff is known for seems like nonsense. I mean clearly the sense is $$$ but still.

You're approaching it the wrong way.

How many A5 pickups does SD produce that are actually useable on a 7-string?... two, maybe?

More options never hurt. There's hundreds of ceramic pickup models for 7-strings, but alnico ones are quite more scarce (besides BKP, which are a lot more expensive). For those that don't like ceramic pickups, more options is always a good thing.

Pickup manufacturers know that pickups sell better with the name of an artist on them. It's not rocket science.

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
That’s true, in this case I suppose it does make lots of sense and the price point is certainly much better than BKP. I just feel a little oversaturated by the constant stream of sig gear.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
That’s true, in this case I suppose it does make lots of sense and the price point is certainly much better than BKP. I just feel a little oversaturated by the constant stream of sig gear.
The pickup market is over saturated just generally. I'm amazed at how picky people seem to be over these things. I just need something in the general ballpark (and that play nicely with each other if in the same guitar together), and I'm good to go.

But as long as people will complain and dissect a pickup's every minute detail, they will keep making more to sell to those people.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
The 6-string set has A8 magnets and the 7-string set is A5. Quite odd choice considering A8 is tighter and more powerful.
I thought it was common for 7-string pickups to be tighter and brighter, but lower output (not more powerful). However, that's often achieved by a strong magnet (i.e. ceramic) with fewer winds...or at least that appears to be DiMarzio's approach...so yes, A5 is an odd choice.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Sounds indistinguishable from his other pickups except for the response reduction in those low order pure harmonics. His riff tones are godly, but I've never enjoyed them for leads- or whatever he does for leads. With as good as his picking technique is he would sound miles better with something less percussive for those parts IMO- more akin to Per Nilsson's tones. Just my opinion.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score

So apparently Jeff got tired to all out-actives and switched to mid-output passives. Interesting...

Jeff Loomis’ Noumenon™ Signature Humbuckers, inspired by his early experiences with passive pickups, offer dynamic control and a powerful tone for both 6-string and 7-string guitars, ensuring tight low end and smooth treble. <-- You never heard that one before, did you? :lol:

6-String set: DCR: Neck: 9.38k, Bridge: 15.98k
7-String set: DCR: Neck: 7.92k, Bridge: 12.66k

I have yet to hear an A8 7 string pickup that didn't turn to mud. Plus, Duncan already has A5 7 string magnets. ;)

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
That sounds like...a Duncan A5 7 string pickup. Not quite as raspy as the JB7, less bland than a Pegasus.
If SD EQ chars weren't absolute bullshit one might think it's based on the Custom 5.

I have yet to hear an A8 7 string pickup that didn't turn to mud. Plus, Duncan already has A5 7 string magnets. ;)
Try the Elysan Trident IIs A8

And yes, I'm aware of other A5 SDs. Hence the word "useable" ;)

Necky379

Reaction score
Well I’m excited, I’ve always enjoyed Jeff’s tones and I like hotter A5 pickups. New variations of existing models, sure why not who doesn’t like having options?

tedtan

Reaction score
So why not make them more similar by building the 6-string version with A5?

Just a curiosity that the 6 and 7 string versions are intentionally different.

bmtf

Reaction score
right when im thinking of switching to a23 batteries. are slipknot switching to seven strings next? ;)
trolling Jeff, i think i have about 8 years of actives in me before i switch to passive

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So why not make them more similar by building the 6-string version with A5?

Just a curiosity that the 6 and 7 string versions are intentionally different.
Maybe they actually just went with the voicing he actually liked for each pickup? I mean, 6 and 7 string versions of the "same" pickup always end up sounding worse in one version or another. Seems to me this makes more sense.