New Mesa Boogie Mark amp?

• Thread starter LCW
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You guys are debating which badge to put on, when you SHOULD be figuring out how to get a wicker grille on those bad boys for the sex-ayyyy.

Seriously, though, I’ve already watched a couple of YT videos and found which stuff to buy on Amazon so I can do my head and cab. I love the hardwood and wicker, but I’ll settle for black tolex and wicker.
I saw a head with black wicker that looked incredible. Looked like a matte spray paint job, but looked awesome. Shiny black could look good too…

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Wrap the whole head in wicker instead of tolex and with a black grill. Reverse the logo image too. lol.
- I saw NDSP, Boogie and Two Notes have teamed up and made plugin on Boogie's site for sale. A iic+ plugin.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
Mesa should have called it the 6506 just to punk them.

Same vibes:
339651907_914411072942204_7397609139407860787_n.jpg

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
So, yeah. I got the amp back from the factory. The reverb wasn't a tube issue, after all. They replaced the whole reverb tank and ribbon assembly. Reverb is now strong on all channels. I would say that how they implemented the reverb mix on the VII is pretty much the same as the Cali Tweed and Fillmore nice, warm, and even.

Now that I have a lot of time with it including two stage gigs, I would say this is now my favorite amp. If I was forced to sell everything and keep one, this will be it.

While the IVB has all the switches and push pulls, the VII just sounds bigger and nastier on stage while having more low end, more gain, and more Mark III-ish top end. Most Mark IV fans will miss the presence-pushed sound (Xtreme on the V), but that won't matter anymore when it gets to stage volume. And the VII has way better cleans, mid gain, and the crunch channel is much, much better than IV's R2. R2 sounds cold in comparison back to back to the IIB mode. (IIB mode, I feel is like mixing the tweed and edge modes from the V)

I like the JP2C. Most people hate it because it CAN sound boxy, but I dig its baked in low mids, especially on Ch3. But VII can also cop out that sound. Just pop the bass knob a bit to match the JP's robust low end. Or just go to IV mode. Another thing about the VII vs the JP is that the VII's low end is less squished or compressed and you can get a drier sound that is closer to the older Marks.

VII Mode is better than my Dual Caliber Lead Channel. They have the same lineage, but this one has some nice Brit-style top-end and it takes in different boosts better.

You know how the little Mark V 25/35 do the Mark thing better than the V90? This is how I feel about the VII. You can hear it by comparing the Crunch channels on the V and VII and the V35. The bigger V is a bit nasal. The V35 just has more aggression and attitude, albeit sounding "smaller". The VII gets that attitude with the bigger power section and is all the better for it.

Shorts_Mike

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So, yeah. I got the amp back from the factory. The reverb wasn't a tube issue, after all. They replaced the whole reverb tank and ribbon assembly. Reverb is now strong on all channels. I would say that how they implemented the reverb mix on the VII is pretty much the same as the Cali Tweed and Fillmore nice, warm, and even.

Now that I have a lot of time with it including two stage gigs, I would say this is now my favorite amp. If I was forced to sell everything and keep one, this will be it.

While the IVB has all the switches and push pulls, the VII just sounds bigger and nastier on stage while having more low end, more gain, and more Mark III-ish top end. Most Mark IV fans will miss the presence-pushed sound (Xtreme on the V), but that won't matter anymore when it gets to stage volume. And the VII has way better cleans, mid gain, and the crunch channel is much, much better than IV's R2. R2 sounds cold in comparison back to back to the IIB mode. (IIB mode, I feel is like mixing the tweed and edge modes from the V)

I like the JP2C. Most people hate it because it CAN sound boxy, but I dig its baked in low mids, especially on Ch3. But VII can also cop out that sound. Just pop the bass knob a bit to match the JP's robust low end. Or just go to IV mode. Another thing about the VII vs the JP is that the VII's low end is less squished or compressed and you can get a drier sound that is closer to the older Marks.

VII Mode is better than my Dual Caliber Lead Channel. They have the same lineage, but this one has some nice Brit-style top-end and it takes in different boosts better.

You know how the little Mark V 25/35 do the Mark thing better than the V90? This is how I feel about the VII. You can hear it by comparing the Crunch channels on the V and VII and the V35. The bigger V is a bit nasal. The V35 just has more aggression and attitude, albeit sounding "smaller". The VII gets that attitude with the bigger power section and is all the better for it.
In my opinion (having owned both) and many others, the V:90 is a much better sounding amp than the 35. Honestly, the cleans are nicer and have more headroom, the crunch channel sounds more vintage and the lead channel is tighter, cleaner and has more low end (not to mention that it has a whack more options). It seems like the same people who advocated for the V:35 over the V:90 also advocated for the IV over the V. Seems to me like those people prefer a more vintage (80's-ish) high gain structure that is looser and has more "hair" coloring the saturation (and more inherent presence in the case of the IV).

Last edited:

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
In my opinion (having owned both) and many others, the V:90 is a much better sounding amp than the 35. Honestly, the cleans are nicer and have more headroom, the crunch channel sounds more vintage and the lead channel is tighter, cleaner and has more low end (not to mention that it has a whack more options). It seems like the same people who advocated for the V:35 over the V:90 also advocated for the IV over the V. Seems like those people prefer a more vintage (80's-ish) high gain structure that is looser and has more hair coloring the saturation.
Yeah. The V90 sure does sound bigger and more buttoned down. It can handle anything. It gets even better when you downtune or use more than 6 strings. But the V35 just sounded angrier.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Man, I haven't had much chance to play my VII lately but this thread reminded how good it is. One thing I like about it is how well it holds together compared to older Marks when I boost the piss out of it. My Mark III just can't hold it together as well, starts getting sloppy, whereas boosting the VII just makes it more mad.

Shorts_Mike

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah. The V90 sure does sound bigger and more buttoned down. It can handle anything. It gets even better when you downtune or use more than 6 strings. But the V35 just sounded angrier.
Personally, my experience was the opposite. The V:35 sounded weaker and less defined because of the added hair in the gain structure and looser bottom end. I found the V:90 to be much more convincing for vintage rock on the crunch channel while still being capable of higher gain and more modern/precise/clear on Channel 3 (and fuller).

Last edited:

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I tried a mk7 combo a few weeks ago and was severely unimpressed compared to my old mk4 or my current black dot mk3. The iv mode was pretty accurate but overall it felt thinner and even middier than the older options. idk, it just didn't feel like that dramatic of a leap from the mk5 or iv. I feel like only the mk4 and iiic+ modes are worth using for high gain tones as the mk7 tone was too mid scooped with comparable eq settings. Mk7 mode felt very different from a mark tone, but definitely not what I'd consider a "modern" tone like the Triple Crown has.

Reaction score
I tried a mk7 combo a few weeks ago and was severely unimpressed compared to my old mk4 or my current black dot mk3. The iv mode was pretty accurate but overall it felt thinner and even middier than the older options. idk, it just didn't feel like that dramatic of a leap from the mk5 or iv. I feel like only the mk4 and iiic+ modes are worth using for high gain tones as the mk7 tone was too mid scooped with comparable eq settings. Mk7 mode felt very different from a mark tone, but definitely not what I'd consider a "modern" tone like the Triple Crown has.
Might it be due to the unbroken in speaker?, you know, the speaker being too stiff yet for being new...?

One might want to test a new amp with old speakers for reference...? Bu yeah, it's not likely for one to lug a 412 cab and personal guitar into a store to tryout a new amp, right?