New Mesa Boogie Mark amp?

• Thread starter LCW
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh I’ll be the first to acknowledge sick chugga chugga = therapy, but a boost and these amps do not equal peanut butter n jelly.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Might it be due to the unbroken in speaker?, you know, the speaker being too stiff yet for being new...?

One might want to test a new amp with old speakers for reference...? Bu yeah, it's not likely for one to lug a 412 cab and personal guitar into a store to tryout a new amp, right?
That’s actually a really good point. Do new combos inherently sound worse right out the gate due to a speaker that has not yet been broken in?

Shorts_Mike

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Seemed like he was trying to dial in the Mark IV down to match the Mark VII/Mark V more than he was trying to dial in the Mark VII/Mark V to match the Mark IV. The Mark V and VII definitely sound a bit different, but thats not necessarily a bad thing for modern metal. The Mark VII and V, though, sound extremely similar to one another in Mark IV mode.

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a Mark V 90 now, and can only get a good high-gain tone on Mk IV with a V on the GEQ. I usually boost with an SD-1. Maybe I've lost my hearing...

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Dude has the worst tones. No way you can make the IV sound bad like that. Hahaha

Seriously, no clue how he became one of the defacto Mesa dudes. Can't stand his Mark-series tones.

I'm surprised at how scooped the VII sounds here. But yeah really love the IV here. The VII is great here but it reminds me how much I love the OG IV.

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah most of the time you want to run a V-shaped GEQ. Boost the highs and lows, scoop the mids. By default the Mark series amps are super thin and honky.

Yeah, I've noticed that. I'm still getting used to its many settings. Channel 2 can do a great Plexi sound in Edge mode.