New Mesa Boogie Mark amp?

• Thread starter LCW
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

protest

Reaction score
This was the head or combo? The V head is $3150 and the combo is $3400 atm, so if that's the combo then a $100 price hike isn't too bad tbh? Especially if the're including the cabclone IR + MIDI.

Standard black head.

They're also doing a cream version and then some other kind of upgrade version, but the rep wasn't sure what that was yet. I'm guessing a hardwood option given all the pics they're using are hardwood combos.

Reactions: LCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
Those Schumacher transformers must be worth their weight in gold. They could at least justify the price hike by updating the Cabclone to a Cabclone IR.
Yeah, it’d be nice if any price increases came with updates. But I don’t think that’s happening.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
No, it's the Mark IV with the presence pushed in. The Mark IV mode on the V is presence pulled and Lead Fat disengaged.

I used Extreme mode only because that's how I ran my Mark IV, and it's way closer in the low-end. The V was always tighter though, and seemed like it inherently had more mids in the 750 region. To mimic the IV more accurately you have to set the 750 lower on the V than on the IV.
I know it's normal internet cork sniffery, but the debate about whether the V can sound like the lead channel on the IV is what's kept me from buying a V. All things being equal, a V makes way more sense (especially since both are about the same price on the used market now), but plenty of people claim the IV still sounds so much better than the V. Glad to hear your thoughts about this, as I think I can move on to a V (or even a VII!)

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Standard black head.

They're also doing a cream version and then some other kind of upgrade version, but the rep wasn't sure what that was yet. I'm guessing a hardwood option given all the pics they're using are hardwood combos.
Hardwood would indeed be cool, but I'd settle for a wicker grille. I think that's the part I like the most, and even a black tolex and wicker grille looks way cooler than a black grille.

In fact, WTF am I doing - I have a EVM 112. I should get a wicker grille!

Meeotch

Reaction score
I am seriously glad I held on to the third one I got :lol: (returned the first for reasons, traded the second, kept the third one)
Haha nice, I bought and sold two as well...never made it to #3. For me the JP2C was an excellent live amp but ultimately didn't sound as good as the III or IV in the studio. And since I just don't play out much anymore it was an easy decision for me.

For those of you lusting after the JP, if you've played older Marks you're seriously not missing out on tone, just practicality. I will say the JP's clean channel is insane though, and I almost kept #2 just for the cleans.

Reactions: LCW

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Haha nice, I bought and sold two as well...never made it to #3. For me the JP2C was an excellent live amp but ultimately didn't sound as good as the III or IV in the studio. And since I just don't play out much anymore it was an easy decision for me.

For those of you lusting after the JP, if you've played older Marks you're seriously not missing out on tone, just practicality. I will say the JP's clean channel is insane though, and I almost kept #2 just for the cleans.
The thing that killed my GAS for a IIC+/JP2C was finally trying emulations of them. From the videos I've seen/heard of them, and trying the models in my Axe, I always preferred the later revisions/TriAxis. Also the IIC++ in the Fractal, which is the IIC+ using the older platform + using the tonestack of a MkIV.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
The best thing about the JP2C for me is the push presence and the tons of saturation in Ch 3. The presence pushed setting just makes the amp sound bigger and more modern compared to my IV. Ch 3 is a different beast altogether.

And I can push the bass knob on the JP further without flubbing out.

protest

Reaction score
Kind of bummed there was no Mark VI info.

Interesting that their post says "new designs." Could just be the fact that it's a head/combo/rack option, but maybe there's more stuff? Pedals?

The sales rep I talked to said they had multiple things coming, but made it seem like it was more Gibson brands instead of specifically multiple Mesa's.

LCW

Reaction score
This is all they posted

EE8CDBC3-3A26-4A59-8EF2-ACBDA4590132.jpeg

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Better be three channels. Badlander was completely ruined by being only two cloned channels

Loved my Mark IV, was never a fan of the V. They always sounded boxy in the mids to me. But of course this is gonna be "the really realest IIC+ we've done since the IIC+!"

will they drop a blurb in the marketing about discovering a giant stash of new transformers that sound just like the old ones?

Musiscience

Reaction score
I hope its completely revoiced and doesn't sound anything like a 2c+. I'm tired of every new amp being a re-release of an old design. Make a 2c+ reissue if you want to make another 2c+

While the V was mostly a collection of past amps, this points towards being at least a little bit innovative, as there is a Mark VII mode. It’s mentioned somewhere in this thread that it’s a modern high gain oriented mode.

I’m putting my money that it’s intentionally laid out so that the channels can be used by different type of guitar players like:

ch1: pristine clean ch2: modern high gain rythm ch: 3 leads

or

ch1: edge of breakup ch2: classic rock rythm ch3: leads

Latest posts