New Rings of Saturn

• Thread starter spawnofthesith
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ForThisGift

Reaction score
The vast majority of Etherial guitars have all of the aesthetic appeal of an Affliction shirt covered vomit and mustard stains wrapped around a glowstick.

I think you are giving Etherial too much credit... I would wear the fvck out of that shirt versus paying for one of those guitars 10/10.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Oh, a lyric video for a song with bad lyrics. Obviously, the lyricist does not flip through the thesaurus at half-speed.

Nats

Reaction score
The default pic for the lyric video is "FVCK" in big letters. I'm ready to have my thoughts provoked.

ForThisGift

Reaction score
I am not even convinced this is a different song, but I couldn't make it all the way through to confirm. I will say this, at least we don't have to look at their mugs while they are faking their fake performances this time around.

Ed_Ibanez_Shred

Baritone sixes
Reaction score
I am not even convinced this is a different song, but I couldn't make it all the way through to confirm. I will say this, at least we don't have to look at their mugs while they are faking their fake performances this time around.

Your tears are delicious btw

Nmaster

Reaction score
I really enjoyed this new album. The only song to really not stick out to me was "Eviscerate." It felt like a bland song when compared to other songs on the CD like Godless Times. Loved Rusty Cooley's part on Infused. :hbang:

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I'm really loving this album. It combines all of the good things about Embryonic Anomaly and Dingir, and leaves you with a pretty solid grasp of the Rings of Saturn sound, without sounding stale. Aaron Kitcher's drumming on the album was absolutely insane, but I figured it would be. Ian's vocal work throughout the album stood out as well, his lows and guttural vocals especially. The use of synth on this album was very good as well, in my opinion. It wasn't overused, and didn't sound cliche. The guitar work was impressive, even for Rings of Saturn, although there's often so many guitar tracks, I wonder how they'll play the new material live. I really enjoyed the instrumental at the end of the album. It was probably my favorite track overall, and has my favorite guitar parts on the album. The breakdown in Unsympathetic Intellect was another part of the album I really enjoyed.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Gotta get a kick out of "the drumming on this record is phenomenal"?
You mean the quantizing on this album is phenomenal.

GiveUpGuitar

Give Up the Goods!
Reaction score
Not really too into this band, but hearing this, especially with Mitch Lucker at the end talking about them, totally earned my respect. I'm sure we can all find ways that make them seem like assholes for this :)lol:) but in all reality its cool for them to pay homage. :shred:

mikah912

Reaction score
It's front-loaded with the coolest moments and melodies from the 5-minute preview, but overall....I liked the record.

Are these "real" or "realistic" performances? I dunno. Not sure I care. Metal has begun to almost intrude into "electronica" territory with that emphasis on pre- and -post production. I was watching that video of Navene-K performing his new LP live in Gotherburg, and I saw these borders melting away.

The guy seamlessly switched between shredding live on drums and guitar to making loops and occasionally miming pre-recorded guitar and drum parts for the sake of live performance. He's a talented dude, but his music is most certainly not 100 percent "live" or "un-enhanced" either live or on-record. And that's by design.

I think the same of Rings of Saturn. There's a deliberate attempt to have otherworldly, videogame-esque sounds predominant in their music, so it makes sense that they would be so heavily "fake" or "quantized". It's a deliberate stylistic choice. So I don't begrudge them.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
On topic, did not listen to the full record yet, but I'm loving the Suicide Silence cover. They didn't change it a lot, just added a bit of their own flavor, and that's what I like. Props for the Mitch Lucker sample.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I'd probably have some appreciation for it if they just came out and said that everything was hyper-editing and there isn't a single completely performed measure on the record (aside from vocals, I like their vocalist), and then NOT act like they're playing it how it is on the record when they do a video. Ultimately, it doesn't matter if I like it or not. Obviously more people would rather listen to this then my shitty, organic-sounding band.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
To me, both "synthetic" and "organic" sounds are cool (and I'm sure that quite a lot of people that like RoS also listen to other, *gasp* "organic" sounding bands), it just depends on the context and how it's carried out, so your "shitty, organic-sounding band" might not really be shitty (I have never heard your music, so I can't really cast a judgement, would be cool if there was a link to it somewhere in your profile). RoS are going for a totally alien, inhuman sound, and people shouldn't be butthurt over artistic choices. Also, drums were recorded by Aaron Kitcher from Infant Annihilator, he is a talented dude, he can play his shit, so I'm quite sure there's more than a single completely performed measure on the record. Guitars might be just like you said, though. I elaborated on that previously in this thread. I don't think that drums are all quantized on this record, they don't sound like that, so I think that you are wrong.

Dayn

Reaction score
I really like their hyper-edited aesthetic, it's very electronic. That appeals to me.

Though not a fan of the vocals and after hearing one song I don't really want to hear any more. I just finished listening and I can't even remember one single riff besides the relentless bass drum.

Latest posts