New Rings of Saturn

• Thread starter spawnofthesith
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kwert

Reaction score
Are you saying that this is the equivalent to the early black metal sounding like crap due to crappy equipment and the entire genre copying that sound as it was the only trve black metal sound?

The issue I take here (and again, this is just my own personal opinion), is that those early black metal albums, even with the lo-fi production, still sounded organic and atmospheric. There is a humanity in the music and a sense of intent in the sound that is lacking in these modern, so-called "progressive" bands.

To me, bands that record like RoS, and the sound of the records they put out sound sterile and lifeless to these ears. I'm aware it's an aesthetic feature of the genre but just like you find black metal unlistenable, I find this stuff unlistenable.

I agree with fps about a lot of Meshuggah albums sounding very "alive", which is why I find it easy to give them a pass in this genre. There's a ballsiness there that isn't captured by a lot of newer bands playing that kind of music.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
For those who say it's "obvious" that these guy can pull this off live, does anyone have any actual proof of that? IE- A soundboard recording without a backing track? Or even something where the backing track is a lot lower in the mix than the live audio?

After hearing all the edits in the examples in this thread (like that Structure's tune...and BTW, that's a fairly misleading band name for that style....) and seeing that dude's solo record/crowd funding video, I can't say it's obvious at all that any of these guys pull this stuff off live.

Not saying it's not possible, but it's just a lot of wasted time editing shit if you can physically pull it off to begin with.....and if you're listening to band live with a shit ton of backing tracks, you've really got clue what they're really playing live and what they aren't.

mikah912

Reaction score
So they released a 5-minute teaser medley of the whole record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar41UYuuRpc

Honestly.....I gotta say...I really like it. I heard them live last year and they didn't do much for me (what I could make out anyway...horrible indistinct guitar tones and house mix live).

But the preponderance of videogame-sounding tapping and openly artificial soundscapes is kinda refreshing to me. Of course, it's completely enhanced.

But I think that's just to a greater degree of what most bands are already doing. So many songs these days have unearthly gating, guitars compressed and low-passed to hell, and filter sweep intros. So what is "natural" metal anymore?

These guys are just taking it to its logical extreme, and I enjoy it. At least what I'm hearing in this teaser.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Curiosity got the better of me, and deep down I had hoped that maybe, just maybe they'd released something that would actually impress me.

Nope. :lol:

gfactor

Reaction score
Man are people really punching in for literally every note? I thought that was hyperbole but I guess not. If that's the case why not just sample the guitar and program it like a lot of people do with drums? That's essentially what's going on, the reason this rubs people the wrong way is that they are doing just enough to be able to say they "played the guitar" but it comes off as dishonest.

I'm not saying there's something intrinsically wrong with making music this way, but I am saying it's not playing guitar. Why bother learning to play if you only have to play one note at a time to make "technical" music?

Nats

Reaction score
When most bands post a teaser it's pretty obvious even without the slight fade-in/fade-out what the individual songs are.

Maniacal

Reaction score
What a load of nonsense. Might as well download any random guitar pro file and increase the speed to 300bpm.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Man are people really punching in for literally every note? I thought that was hyperbole but I guess not. If that's the case why not just sample the guitar and program it like a lot of people do with drums? That's essentially what's going on, the reason this rubs people the wrong way is that they are doing just enough to be able to say they "played the guitar" but it comes off as dishonest.

I'm not saying there's something intrinsically wrong with making music this way, but I am saying it's not playing guitar. Why bother learning to play if you only have to play one note at a time to make "technical" music?

Its mostly copy and pasting notes rather than tracking one note a time, you can hear the consistent down picking on tremolo sections. Its like how you would cut a kick sample down to a quaver and paste it 8 times into a bar.

Most of us don't mind as long as you can play your songs live and you don't try claim your guitar pro tight tracks are real playing. Personally as a listener I like how tight & clear some of these new tech/core bands sound on CD even if the guitars are essentially fake.

PeteyG(Red Seas Fire) has a hilarious video that sums modern editing up:
Instagram

SmackyChot

tune l0w and 0
Reaction score
2:32 in the teaser video... They totally put that in to piss off people. That is like RSE to the teeth right???

I like their songs, and I'll like this probably. Everyone likes different things. I am not into Lucas's attitude however (i.e I <3 h8ters hat) and that spoils my like for the band a bit.

But if they would just do legit playthrough videos, (which BARELY take much effort to make themselves, unless you try to go kubrick with it) people would shut up and we can all go on either enjoying the music or moving onto other shit.

You'd think they be so eager to shut people up about it right? I mean Lucas has some chops and a big ego it seems. Show off buddy.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
2:32 in the teaser video... They totally put that in to piss off people. That is like RSE to the teeth right???

I like their songs, and I'll like this probably. Everyone likes different things. I am not into Lucas's attitude however (i.e I <3 h8ters hat) and that spoils my like for the band a bit.

But if they would just do legit playthrough videos, (which BARELY take much effort to make themselves, unless you try to go kubrick with it) people would shut up and we can all go on either enjoying the music or moving onto other shit.

You'd think they be so eager to shut people up about it right? I mean Lucas has some chops and a big ego it seems. Show off buddy.

Like this one? It clearly has actual audio from his playing, including mistakes

PeteyG(Red Seas Fire) has a hilarious video that sums modern editing up:
Instagram

Which is amusing because he does it too.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Are we also ignoring the fact that Etherial makes some really ugly guitars? Noyan, I think you have one of the only good-looking efforts of theirs.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Yeah those guitars are awful looking :lol: tossed in the dnw bucket along with halo, legator, s7, etc. Etc. Etc. Lol

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
The vast majority of Etherial guitars have all of the aesthetic appeal of an Affliction shirt covered vomit and mustard stains wrapped around a glowstick.